Trumpet? Tubas?

Geez....... The drums have hijacked the bugle thread! Next thing you know, they'll want TWO buses. I think the drummers are leading a conspiracy to confuse the terminology of brass instruments so that the word bugle is never again mentioned in "Drum Corps"! Marty, I don't think I could ever get used to calling a Contra a Tuba, but couldn't count the number of times I've heard or called a Sousaphone a Tuba. Having recently purchased a valve/rotor Contra on e-bay, I have to explain to everyone what exactly it is. Still trying to figure it out, myself. I'm a believer in tradition, but remain thankful that kids are still interested in competing in drum and bugle corps! Demographically and financially, I think we face difficult times ahead. Hopefully our traditions won't morph into something totally unrecognizable and will provide the multi-generational link that have kept things going thus far. Otherwise, we will start to "smell bad and fade away".

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez....... The drums have hijacked the bugle thread! Next thing you know, they'll want TWO buses. I think the drummers are leading a conspiracy to confuse the terminology of brass instruments so that the word bugle is never again mentioned in "Drum Corps"! Marty, I don't think I could ever get used to calling a Contra a Tuba, but couldn't count the number of times I've heard or called a Sousaphone a Tuba. Having recently purchased a valve/rotor Contra on e-bay, I have to explain to everyone what exactly it is. Still trying to figure it out, myself. I'm a believer in tradition, but remain thankful that kids are still interested in competing in drum and bugle corps! Demographically and financially, I think we face difficult times ahead. Hopefully our traditions won't morph into something totally unrecognizable and will provide the multi-generational link that have kept things going thus far. Otherwise, we will start to "smell bad and fade away".

sorry about hijacking the thread. remember one thing. if you take high drums at a show 95% of the time you win the show.

ok now let's get back on topic.

sorry about hijacking the thread. remember one thing. if you take high drums at a show 95% of the time you win the show.

ok now let's get back on topic.

Not a very deep topic anyhow, so no problem.

Don't think of it as hijacking the thread. I like to think of it as "adding to the dynamics of the discussion". :nervous:

"Geez....... The drums have hijacked the bugle thread! Next thing you know, they'll want TWO buses. I think the drummers are leading a conspiracy to confuse the terminology of brass instruments so that the word bugle is never again mentioned in 'Drum Corps'!"

Sorry '81 CONTRA! Didn't mean to 'hijack' the thread, but I was responding to Gsksun's comment. I also wanted to show that we drummers 'feel your pain' too! I wanted to let you know you're not alone in feeling like your drum corps world has been radically altered by those who have pushed for the Bb instrumentation.

Our experience is similar to yours, though I think yours is definitely harder to accept. Not only is your basic instrument different, but you're expected to call it by a whole different name. Fortunately for us, a drum is STILL a drum! It's just that most of them sound very different and many look very different as well. A wedge snare drum (as bad as it may sound to many of us) is still a snare drum, but a trumpet is NOT a soprano, a tuba is NOT a contra, etc.

And thank you, Don for the kind words. We will continue to uphold the tradition of DRUM and BUGLE corps for as long as we can!

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress . . .

To All,

I guess one of the limitations of this medium, or my use of it, is it's (my) inability to express "tongue in cheek" humor. PLEASE don't think I was even slightly offended. My experience is that the drummers are the "Marines" of the corps. The few (many), the proud, kick ### and take names guys that you admire and want to have on your side. Point in fact, I was the token tuba player that hung around the drum line in HS. I was trying to use humor to lighten things up a little bit. Regardless of instrument or even corps affiliation, we are all on the same side....promotion and continuation of a lifestyle that, once experienced, cannot be fully explained or enjoyed unless experienced. Please accept MY apology for my poor choice of words and inability to communicate effectively. As a retired Sailor, I stuck around until the evolution of the service outran my willingness to adapt. Things change and every generation watches the next "screw up"........yet the service (or corps) lives on and sometimes even thrives. I appreciate the time, effort, and sacrifices that you gentlemen (and the ladies, as well) made to keep drum and bugle corps alive and well. Marty, I listen to the Buc's 1980 show nearly every day, sandwiched between the 1980 and 1981 Westshoremen performances :nervous: , followed by the Cabs and the 1977 Johnsonburg Diplomats. Cabalumnidrummer, thanks for the comraderie and support. Rock on!!!

No need for apologies! No offense was felt. I just sought to clarify the perceived deviation from Marty's original topic. In fact, it was all related (at least the intent was!).

In that same vein, have you noticed how we have shifted from 'instructors' to 'tech staff,' and from 'arrangers' to 'show designers?' Then too, there's 'auxiliary' vs. 'guard,' and 'visual' rather than 'M&M.' Drum corps' terminology just keeps changing as time marches on. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

>Fortunately for us, a drum is STILL a drum! It's just that most of them sound very different and many look very different as well. A wedge snare drum (as bad as it may sound to many of us) is still a snare drum, but a trumpet is NOT a soprano, a tuba is NOT a contra, etc.<

Thanks John. Yes, the snares now sound like plastic can's. Someone also enlightened me not long ago that even the contra bass is completely different than the instrument of old, hence the need to use 10 of them on the field.

I shudder at the thought of having 10 Teddy Sasso's or 10 Felton (Sonny) Owens' or Sol Anthony's play at the same time with the old piping. Would tilt the Earth's axis.

Edited by gsksun4

I shudder at the thought of having 10 Teddy Sasso's or 10 Felton (Sonny) Owens' or Sol Anthony's play at the same time with the old piping. Would tilt the Earth's axis.

:music: Amen...

My apologies, double post... :music:

Edited by TennTux