Lying about corps experience

I've got a good one. I auditioned for a brass spot in Crown 04 (my first year in the corps). I went to a remote audition and somehow met another kid who was auditioning for a brass spot. We talked online a couple times leading up to the camp. I was from a local high school and he was a graduate of a nearby high school. He told me that he marched 3rd trumpet for SCV '02 and got injured so he couldn't do '03. He even told me some stories that I guess he made up. As soon as I got to this camp, I thought it was pretty unbelievable that he had any drum corps experience. I already knew Matt Harloff (the brass caption head), so I told him about this kid being from Vanguard. When we started the camp, Matt was going through logistics and explaining how the winter would play out. He got to a point where he asked if any of us had any previous corps experience and this kid did not raise his hand. I just looked right at him and went "Really!". After that happened, he didn't talk to me for the rest of the camp and did not ever march Crown :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of a conversation I had on yahoo instant messenger the other day...

Him: yeah i tried auditioned for Phantom Regiment and got accepted, didnt have the financial means though

Him: subtract "tried" sorry about that

Me: you auditoned for pr and made it?

Him: yeah but not the lead trunpet line

Him: a tad bit too high for my current range

Me: I kinda have a hard to believing that

Him: right but i had school to do

Him: and they were just too far away

Me: right...

Me: so, how did you audition for them, did you send a tape?

In the days before video tape we just used a simple audio tape to audition for a corps. At one time I remember hearing a story of a guy who faked his audition tape (I believe) for Blue Devils. He had someone else play the tape and sent it in as his own.

NOT CONNER

To be perfectly honest, anyone who lies about being in a corps absolutely has to be King of the Nerds

There was actually a guy on STAFF that was busted for his supposed 1995 Cavie marching experiance. Only problem, he would have been 15. Halfway through the summer a bass tech came on board for two weeks who actually did march Cavies from 1994-1996 and didn't remember him. He started asking the imposter question that only true alumni would know, totally busted.

I was on staff, and never marched in a corps (however marched several years in independent winterguards). I don't get why people feel they need to validate their worth by lying!

Some idiot was telling tales about marching 77 Oaklands at a show in the Detriot area. I was next in line behind him at the hotdog stand. So I start yacking with him, asking telling questions, getting wrong answers.

I asked if he knew Sarnia Sam and he said he was Sarnia Sam.

He slinked away.

Regards,

John

I was getting ready to do a college marching band exhibition at a high school competition. As we're standing in the end zone waiting to go on, i'm talking to a friend of mine in the pit about DC. This guy nearby overhears and says...wait, where did you march-so i tell him-to which the guy replies...

"Cool! I played snare for Cavaliers (named two years-i don't remember what they were) and Cadets 05"

To which I replied "Oh, then you must know Katie!" (our section leader that was in Cadet's 05 pit), before i gaged the guys reaction i called Katie over to reunite them. He made up some lame excuse of not remembering her...An amazing feet as they would have lived together on a bus for 3 months....

lame lame lame lame lame....

as to lying about it on a resume--it actually looks really good for a music educator--outside/performing experience. I've heard of people loosing their jobs as band directors for lying on their resume about experience.

Edited by cellopitmello

My favorite one of these stories happened to me after the 92' season. I was at a h.s. marching band comp. in the fall of 92' and I was talking to some guys in the consession lines and this one guy goes on to tell me that he played tympani for Freelaners that past summer. Unfortunately for him I knew he wasn't telling the truth because I was the Tympani player from that season.

I didn't actually verbally call him out on it. I just said "really, thats pretty cool". I then took my corps jacket out of my backpack and put it on infront of him and his freinds. Once he saw that the jacket had the years I marched on the sleave and what section i was in he just turned pail. I remained in line next to the guys and didn't really say anything else to them. The best part was that his freinds kept harassing him about it

Here's my story, and it really is true. :nervous:

I tried out, and made Spirit for what would have been the 1980 season. However, I got out at Christmas (long story). The only people who would remember me being there would be my HS friends who did march that year, and they did give me a little heck for quitting.

So what do I tell people when they ask me if I marched corps?

"No, I never marched. I'm just a fan." I might tell some people what I did, but only if it's appropriate.

To me, the couple of months I was there doesn't count. What does count is riding the bus, marching and playing your butt off, and earning the medal, star, or whatever it is they give you (if they do) at the end of the season. I salute anyone who has done it. Whoever says they did, and actually didn't, is trying to claim something that they don't deserve.

My favorite one of these stories happened to me after the 92' season. I was at a h.s. marching band comp. in the fall of 92' and I was talking to some guys in the consession lines and this one guy goes on to tell me that he played tympani for Freelaners that past summer. Unfortunately for him I knew he wasn't telling the truth because I was the Tympani player from that season.

I didn't actually verbally call him out on it. I just said "really, thats pretty cool". I then took my corps jacket out of my backpack and put it on infront of him and his freinds. Once he saw that the jacket had the years I marched on the sleave and what section i was in he just turned pail. I remained in line next to the guys and didn't really say anything else to them. The best part was that his freinds kept harassing him about it

It's kind of funny remembering after all these years the goofs who tried to pass themselves off as the person they are talking to - without knowing any better.

Regards,

John

You gotta be careful with this.

For the longest time, my boyfriend has told me about his high-school band director. Said he always claimed he marched, but it just didn't seem right. I met the guy, and thought the same thing. It's been a big ol' joke for quite a few years, or atleast since my BF was in high-school.

Well.

This year we end up talking to someone who said, "oh yeah, I marched with that guy." :nervous:

Just saying. Of course there's going to be those lameos who say "oh yeah, I was the soloist that year", while TALKING to the actual soloist, but with all the years drum corps spans, MAYBE you just forgot that person?

It's pretty terrible, but I know there's probably people I've marched with that I wouldn't recognize on the street.