Lying about corps experience

I can't imagine anyone putting their drum corps experience down on their resume. Unless they are possibly applying for a job with a marching band or corps.

I've worked for quite a few companies since I aged out and have only come accross a couple of people who even KNOW what drum corps is.

Having to LIE about marching? Now that's just sad.

My sister is a former personnel director of Arch Commmunications. She hired a young man several years ago. In addition to his qualifications for the job, he also was a recently aged out drum corps alumni who was then teaching a percussion line. She was never in a corps, but knew that being a member of a drum corps meant that the person knew what it was to be on time, what it was to be part of a unit,that excuses for this or that were not part of the personality. This is a rare commodity these days!

He got the job because she spotted the drum corps experience in his resume. The qualifications were there to start with, but the personal responsibility aspect of having been in a corps said something about individuals ability to work with others and to be there when he was supposed to be ...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister is a former personnel director of Arch Commmunications. She hired a young man several years ago. In addition to his qualifications for the job, he also was a recently aged out drum corps alumni who was then teaching a percussion line. She was never in a corps, but knew that being a member of a drum corps meant that the person knew what it was to be on time, what it was to be part of a unit,that excuses for this or that were not part of the personality. This is a rare commodity these days!

He got the job because she spotted the drum corps experience in his resume. The qualifications were there to start with, but the personal responsibility aspect of having been in a corps said something about individuals ability to work with others and to be there when he was supposed to be ...

Shoot...14 years later I can certifiably promise you that I will be 15 minutes late to my own funeral. No wonder I didn't get that job--he did!!

Let's see. I marched with the Santadison Blue Cavaregiscoutets, and for any year you want it to be, but I don't don't like to brag about it.

Of course, that was after the Argaheimentoctonville 27th Purple CMCC Oakbridgerockchos went inactive.

Edited by BD2Rings

Maybe I'll tell you about it in a PM. I typed a whole story out but then realized that I'm one of the very few people who knows about this particular incident. I wasn't going to mention names or corps, but still, at least for now, I think it's in my best interest to keep quiet about the whole thing.

hahah.... :rolleyes:

When I marched Div II/III...a member of our corps claimed to have been on staff for the Bluecoats in 1995.

This really confused us as the guy wasnt out of high school yet...and the Bluecoats 1995 show was smoking...how could this kid who could barely hold up his horn be a visual tech for the Bluecoats?!!

we all just played along.

I live in Chicago...and I have marched both of the major Illinois corps (that are still around at least).

Everyone from Rockford knows about Regiment...and that helped me land an internship at a local tv station because one of the producers was from there and thats how we connected.

Not a lot of people know about drum corps...but because we travel so much...we visit a lot of obscure towns near major cities...so just asking where someone is at in an interview and then explaining that you've been to their podunk town (albeit briefly) can really impress them.

I've been really surprised how that has helped small talk at interviews and social functions.