When did drum corps become marching band?

207 members have voted

1. 1. so, when did it happen?

• Valved horns
    • Grounded Pit
    • Asymmetrical drill
    • Three Valves
    • Any key horns
    • Amplification of pit and vocals allowed
    • Amped brass
    • Electronics
    • Banana

'04, ive always thought.....when i saw boston and crown that summer, i was really grateful that i had started in 03. got to see madison make finals with an hornline in g (and a #### impressive one, too).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kumquat?

[sung to the tune of Beethoven's fifth]

KUM QUAT KUM QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAT..... KUM QUAT KUM QUAAAAAAAAAAAAT.... kum kum kum quat kum kum kum kum quat kum kum kum quaaaaaaaaaat. kum kum kum quat, kum kum kum quat kum kum kum quaaaaaaaaaaat....

KUM KUM KUM QUAT

KUM KUM KUM QUAT.

(the answer is actually banana).

Edited by TSRTS13

Band is drum corps and drum corps is band!

Prove me wrong!

Thanks for the challenge!

1. 1. There exists 2 seperate orginazations for marching band and drum corps (DCI and BOA)
    2. In marching band, woodwinds are allowed. In drum corps, there is no such thing (yet :ninja:)
    3. Drum corps is not sponsored by schools.
    4. Drum corps allows kids within the general age range of 13-22 to participate. Marching band is restricted to the confines of high school.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Btw, if you're talking about the "cross-polination" of the two activites, I believe that it has been taken way to far! Thanks, George. What was once a beautiful, pure experience will now be ruined by mics on a baritone and synths in the pit. At least the sound board thing got shot down.

Bottom line: BOA should be BOA. DCI should be DCI. There are ways for the activity to grow without implementing electronics and the such.

Then again, maybe I'm crazy!

Drum corps became marching band when they began to play instruments?

Now I say marching band as in the form that high schools and colleges use, not in the form that drum corps is.

but...

since when has marching band given the marcher the same family and bonds as drum corps?

since when has marching band contained a group of 135 (150 next year...) individuals that shared the same amount of determination and passion for something?

Drum corps became marching band when they began to play instruments?

Now I say marching band as in the form that high schools and colleges use, not in the form that drum corps is.

but...

since when has marching band given the marcher the same family and bonds as drum corps?

since when has marching band contained a group of 135 (150 next year...) individuals that shared the same amount of determination and passion for something?

Here, Here! Yet more reasons to add to my arsenal! More distance between the activities pointed out.

not to mention drum corps is a h*** of alot harder and more attention is paid to detail than any other "marching ensemble" out there.............by far. There's no comparison in quality and you're in for a mind check if you think there is