Hopkins, hash marks and pushback

And to the OP, I agree completely. Hashgate had nothng to do with the hashes. I think that once people learned the reason Mr. Hopkins pulled his kids off the field, there was understanding. There was just frustration for him personally. The kids were caught in the crossfire, which was unfortunate.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say that mainly because, he knows what all these little sidebars of rule changes, hashgate, and not just using a mic but completely going off the deepend and making the show second to the speech, will do nothing more than get his kids boo'd. I don't condone booing, but I don't throw my kids under the bus for my own political agenda. Do I think he cares for them more than he cares for this agenda? No. Do I think he cares for them as people and wishes them well in life? Yes. He was a genius, but now he is no more than an instigator of DCI's downfall. I was one of his backers most of the last two seasons, but he has gone too far for even me to tolerate. And no, I will not boo his corps, but I will not buy his corps products this year or any other, and I will not get into verbal arguments trying to defend him anymore. I am sorry if I come across as a ticked off old man, but I AM. Something I have loved for 20 plus years is being taken away, and it S$&*S. Last but not least, I have the list of directors that voted for these inane ideations, and I will not be buying their products either. Thank God the Regiment and Colts used their heads in this matter.

George H's passion for the YEA! mission and its effects on the young people involved is what pushes him to argue for his so-called agenda. He feels that the changes are what is needed to keep the activity going.

Love him or hate him, that is is why he does what he does.

George H's passion for the YEA! mission and its effects on the young people involved is what pushes him to argue for his so-called agenda. He feels that the changes are what is needed to keep the activity going.

Love him or hate him, that is is why he does what he does.

Has he not noticed then that with every change comes loss of more corps and more fans? Doesn't sound like anything is being saved.

Has he not noticed then that with every change comes loss of more corps and more fans? Doesn't sound like anything is being saved.

Corps were dying well before any of Hop's rules changes were put into effect.

Attendence at DCI events has risen and remained steady since the first big change (b -flats in 1999)

The 350 regulars at dcp who make 90% of the posts dont like the new rules., to be sure, but I don't see a mass exodus of fans or corps over this.

Despite your own feelings, drum corps is here to stay and will continue to evolve. If it is no longer for you that is sad. Truly. However, it will marshall on without you.

I didn't read the whole post, but Hopkins was right about the hash marks, and it was anything but whining.

Maybe so but he could have at least tried to do it professionally instead throwing a whiney fit in front of a stadium full of people. You are wrong - again - but None of the Hoppy patrol will agree with the majority of the people in the stands that night.

Maybe so but he could have at least tried to do it professionally instead throwing a whiney fit in front of a stadium full of people. You are wrong - again - but None of the Hoppy patrol will agree with the majority of the people in the stands that night.

Lance is hardly part of the "Hoppy patrol", and your use of that term just says that you really have nothing to say.

He was fighting for his corps and their safety. You would do the same. Even if it was on the center x of the 50 yard line in a stadium filled with 500,000 people.

Attendence at DCI events has risen and remained steady since the first big change (b -flats in 1999)

Which is it - "risen" or "steady"? Seems that it had "risen" six or more years back, but the amplification change coincides with a change in attendance trends. Hmmm....

The 350 regulars at dcp who make 90% of the posts dont like the new rules., to be sure, but I don't see a mass exodus of fans or corps over this.

Try a narrower brush. I evaluate each change on it's own merits. For instance, I'm quite fond of the double GE panel for championship week.

Despite your own feelings, drum corps is here to stay and will continue to evolve.

No - perhaps you feel DCI is here to stay, but "drum corps" may be phased out one day by successive rule changes.

He was fighting for his corps and their safety. You would do the same. Even if it was on the center x of the 50 yard line in a stadium filled with 500,000 people.

If the stadium had 500,000 people in it, there would be far greater safety concerns than just hash marks.... :peek:

Lance is hardly part of the "Hoppy patrol", and your use of that term just says that you really have nothing to say.

As much as it galls me to agree with Tex on anything :peek: I'm onside too, and there's no chance I'm a Hoppy fan. I wan't there to see how he did it, but if the kids' safety was in doubt, then he gets a tick in the "OK" column from me. I'ts a very lonely tick, but it's there none the less....