Hopkins, hash marks and pushback

the hash marks were almost impossbile to see on the field that night, the yard lines were difficult to see too...

actually all in all the field was pretty bad...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting points. i feel you, about the one chance to directly voice their displeasure towards him as a person.

I think this nails it...

I don't agree with it all, but Hashgate was about fans venting at Hopkins. It had nothing to do with paint and the field. This was the first opportunity under which Hopkins alone had the spotlight. It reminds me when certain sports commissioners take the mic... they get a boo, then as soon as the focus turns to the team, it's forgotten.

It was fleeting, but Hashgate was never about hashes.

I think this nails it...

I don't agree with it all, but Hashgate was about fans venting at Hopkins. It had nothing to do with paint and the field. This was the first opportunity under which Hopkins alone had the spotlight. It reminds me when certain sports commissioners take the mic... they get a boo, then as soon as the focus turns to the team, it's forgotten.

Yes, and unfortunate that venting went on while 135 were on and near the field as well. You left out that part.

I think that sums it up best. Sure, there were 135 people on the field that night in uniform. I argued very passionately for their feelings and rights in the situation, as I was there and was horrified at the time. I also personally know many of the members very well, and regardless of what the fans' intention was, I know what they felt. That all said, I think it was the first time when hop was really exposed like that. Even if the entire corps was on the field, george was truly in the spotlight in front of some of dci's most avid fans, at least during the incident. Now, as far as people booing the corps when they came back out - i dont see how you can justify that...just saying that i understand the frustrations, and that it was one of the first time hop was presented as a clear target, and i guess we have to all live with the consequences.

Very well thought out and articulate thread. I am completely impressed. I have long been a huge Garfield fan and have had friends march there. That said, I have to say that George has gone from being a completely incredible pusher of the envelope, to an insanely mad { as in anger} individual who is no longer caring what happens to the kids that march his corps and he definitley doesn't care what happens to Drum Corps in general { I still wouldn't boo them}. Listening to his take on the DCI dvds, he seems like ticking off the crowds { that constitute drum corps fans} is his passion now, instead of trying to please them with great performances. I really don't care anymore. I am also looking at this season as the wake. I will see one or two shows in 09 and if it is as stupid as I think its going to be, I will be done with corps. I can say that I had a great 27 year run of DCI, I wish that the younger generation can say that when they get my age, but I doubt that it will be the case.

Edited by 84skyrydr

That said, I have to say that George has gone from being a completely incredible pusher of the envelope, to an insanely mad { as in anger} individual who is no longer caring what happens to the kids that march his corps doubt that it will be the case.

I disagree with that statement. George cares deeply about the kids in his corps. Maybe his priorities are a little out of whack or he has some twisted logic that allows him to justify all of these rules he keeps pushing, but he certainly cares about the well-being and enjoyment of his members. And I'm sure most of the members of Cadets would tell you that too (although, certainly, no one is ever 100% satisfied with their drum corps experience).

I disagree with that statement. George cares deeply about the kids in his corps. Maybe his priorities are a little out of whack or he has some twisted logic that allows him to justify all of these rules he keeps pushing, but he certainly cares about the well-being and enjoyment of his members. And I'm sure most of the members of Cadets would tell you that too (although, certainly, no one is ever 100% satisfied with their drum corps experience).

Thank you. Agreed. He may not care in the way some of us want him to, but how anyone can say he does not care for the kids in the corps is beyond me.

Very well thought out and articulate thread. I am completely impressed. I have long been a huge Garfield fan and have had friends march there. That said, I have to say that George has gone from being a completely incredible pusher of the envelope, to an insanely mad { as in anger} individual who is no longer caring what happens to the kids that march his corps and he definitley doesn't care what happens to Drum Corps in general { I still wouldn't boo them}. Listening to his take on the DCI dvds, he seems like ticking off the crowds { that constitute drum corps fans} is his passion now, instead of trying to please them with great performances. I really don't care anymore. I am also looking at this season as the wake. I will see one or two shows in 09 and if it is as stupid as I think its going to be, I will be done with corps. I can say that I had a great 27 year run of DCI, I wish that the younger generation can say that when they get my age, but I doubt that it will be the case.

As much as I may dislike Mr. Hopkins' rule proposals and his vision for the activity, I think this sentiment is not really fair. I do not know Mr. Hopkins personally, though I have had the opportunity to observe him a number of times over the years. In all instances, it was clear that he does care - passionately. About the kids, about the activity, etc. He just doesn't care the way you or I perhaps do. So dislike his vision, but don't disrespect the man for thinking differently than you do. Back to your regualrly scheduled lovefest.

I say that mainly because, he knows what all these little sidebars of rule changes, hashgate, and not just using a mic but completely going off the deepend and making the show second to the speech, will do nothing more than get his kids boo'd. I don't condone booing, but I don't throw my kids under the bus for my own political agenda. Do I think he cares for them more than he cares for this agenda? No. Do I think he cares for them as people and wishes them well in life? Yes. He was a genius, but now he is no more than an instigator of DCI's downfall. I was one of his backers most of the last two seasons, but he has gone too far for even me to tolerate. And no, I will not boo his corps, but I will not buy his corps products this year or any other, and I will not get into verbal arguments trying to defend him anymore. I am sorry if I come across as a ticked off old man, but I AM. Something I have loved for 20 plus years is being taken away, and it S$&*S. Last but not least, I have the list of directors that voted for these inane ideations, and I will not be buying their products either. Thank God the Regiment and Colts used their heads in this matter.

Edited by 84skyrydr