Hopkins, hash marks and pushback

Whick brings me back to appending a junior division to DCA. :shutup:

Yeah but I get the feeling just from listening and the few people I know that there is little interest in that. They are too busy herding the cats they already have.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but I get the feeling just from listening and the few people I know that there is little interest in that. They are too busy herding the cats they already have.

You're probably right, but man - what an opportunity - especially now. I wish they could get on it. Even with all this rules crap to one side, it would be a much easier place to start up.

George H's passion for the YEA! mission and its effects on the young people involved is what pushes him to argue for his so-called agenda. He feels that the changes are what is needed to keep the activity going.

Love him or hate him, that is is why he does what he does.

I don't hate him, I just think that people like me, Or me personally who have given 31 years of enthusiasm, love and money are not getting listened to. It's like they don't care about what we have to say. I love the modern drum corps show. The music, The speed of the drill. The artistry of the player. And the color guards WOW. But it is not Drum corps anymore. I so totally agree that the name should change. MBI Try that in next years rules vote. I belive everyone can figure that one out.

I don't hate him, I just think that people like me, Or me personally who have given 31 years of enthusiasm, love and money are not getting listened to. It's like they don't care about what we have to say. I love the modern drum corps show. The music, The speed of the drill. The artistry of the player. And the color guards WOW. But it is not Drum corps anymore. I so totally agree that the name should change. MBI Try that in next years rules vote. I belive everyone can figure that one out.

My friend, drum corps is more than just instrumentation. As it has been discussed on here numerous times, the title is really a holdover, ie kind of a cultural thing, less than an accurate discription of what we do.

Remember that the changes made are what the people in charge think is best for the activity long term. The truth is that legacy fans such as you (and me to some extent) will not fill the stands. They are looking to the future.

Sadly, when this happens, some people will be marginalized.

Remember that the changes made are what the people in charge think is best for the activity long term.

Not necessarily. Some have argued that DCI's leaders do what they think best for DCI's member corps, not the activity as a whole.

The truth is that legacy fans such as you (and me to some extent) will not fill the stands.

Why not?

They are looking to the future.

Sadly, when this happens, some people will be marginalized.

That's a little vague. Could you elaborate? Why must "looking to the future" involve marginalizing anyone?

3. Doesn't seem to be. One of the last strong voices kinda got drummed outta the activity.

Jeff Fiedler introduced woodwinds to DCI the year it passed.

I also personally know many of the members very well, and regardless of what the fans' intention was, I know what they felt.

It sucked getting booed. 100% the reason for, by far, the weakest performance of the Cadets that season. Massive tempo discrepancies to begin the show, lack of performance qualities, and big tears. And there was more than one person on the field calling out to George and the Visual Staff that hashes were not present. So the members voiced it as well.

Has he not noticed then that with every change comes loss of more corps and more fans? Doesn't sound like anything is being saved.

George's YEA efforts have helped sustain to some degree Carolina Crown, Magic,

Boston Crusaders and Crossmen and The Cadets by minimizing expenses. The debt was heavily minimized by USSBA for Crossmen to continue today as an independent organization. His relocation of Crossmen has greatly helped the corps at the moment with their previously failing recruitment numbers.

I do believe the Cavaliers performed their full show right before the Cadets with no hashmarks just fine. I don't have a problem with what Hopkins did, but just the manner that he did it in. Bottom line though: He didn't HAVE to stop the show. Cavies marched their show, Cadets could have marched theirs.

As I recall those 90 days on the road. That company front at the end was set off hashmarks. No hash marks? 217, with half the front backing up into an interval spacing of 1 step? Not going to happen, just like Allentown and other shows when the Hashes were run down. Not going to happen.

--Thank you

Sincerely,

Primary Source August 2007

Edited by Mouthpiece1234