Hopkins, hash marks and pushback

Yes, fiedler defended hopkins, and warned him about the field. I would avoid taking shots at the cavaliers drill however. It may not have been as ballsy or exposed as some of the cadets moves, but they ran around just as much, if not more than the cadets - so the danger was certainly there either way....

Not to mention that after the Cavies show the field would have been one more corps "worse"...and that corps DOES move a lot.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apples and oranges

I don't understand your point. DCI has continued to barely maintain (or lose - I haven't checked the numbers) corps; DCA has gained corps. That is a fact. I did say that none of that gain probably had nothing to do with DCI's situation.

I didn't say that DCI should've done anything different than they did. I was just saying in response to rut-roh asking what would be the effect of going back in time to 1998 and doing certain things (I can't remember her exact lines). One of them was, IIRC, focusing on corps development. I simply explained the DCA experience. It is a case of new corps starting and growing in this economic environment. Take from that what you will.

If you're saying that DCI wouldn't have benefitted the same way, that's a separate argument - and not one I was making, BTW. I don't know what I think about that.

As I see it, the little branch of the argument starting from this point is dealing with new fans. I'm strictly talking about new corps. According to the theory du jour for the pro-change side, new corps precede new fans, so I thought pro-change people might like this POV. I guess not.

I'm sorry if this represents a further move OT from the original intent. I was just providing some impartial content to answer one point in someone's probably already OT post. Please carry on.

I don't understand your point. DCI has continued to barely maintain (or lose - I haven't checked the numbers) corps; DCA has gained corps. That is a fact. I did say that none of that gain probably had nothing to do with DCI's situation.

The apples and oranges comes from what it takes to maintain and startup corps in either org.

Different in the sense that perhaps DCA corps have a broader member demographic and the very set-up in terms of practice/scheduling/costs are completely different. Money doesn't completely come from the fans... A Drum Corps is a business and it costs more to run a DCI corp than a DCA one.

Well, right now it is unarguably true that DCA's members are more diverse than DCI's: an age limit ensures that!

Maybe your post argues for DCI to have a broader member demographic. More regional and local corps would mean less demand on members' time - allowing more members. That also allows for a smaller budget - more like DCA than DCI now, just like you say above.

I think your point might be that the smaller hurdles to clear in DCA for start-up corps argues for DCI to lower its hurdles for start-up corps.

Oh good...another troll-ish poster who makes points they cant back up, then gets into a 'last word game', calling the discussion OT in order to cover his ###. Which directors voted on the proposal to allow more of these brilliant satirists onto dcp..... :shutup:

Oh good....another troll-ish poster who jumps into a little off-topic fun, then insults that person, and basically does the exact same thing they were doing. Which directors voted on the proposal to allow more of these brilliant hypocrites onto dcp.... :tongue:

Oh good....another troll-ish poster who jumps into a little off-topic fun, then insults that person, and basically does the exact same thing they were doing. Which directors voted on the proposal to allow more of these brilliant hypocrites onto dcp.... :shutup:

No way man....i was here before amplification...

at least i made up one of my own jokes. You just stole all of mine... :tongue:

The apples and oranges comes from what it takes to maintain and startup corps in either org.

And who's fault is that? Sorry the cost involved to get a semi-competitive DCI corps up and running is one of the things I think should be addressed. But new corps development does not seem to be on the radar.

And who's fault is that? Sorry the cost involved to get a semi-competitive DCI corps up and running is one of the things I think should be addressed. But new corps development does not seem to be on the radar.

I don't think we have time or room to list who and what is at "fault" but that was not the point. The point is, for that reason alone, it's a comparison in this respect that does not fly very well.

I don't think we have time or room to list who and what is at "fault" but that was not the point. The point is, for that reason alone, it's a comparison in this respect that does not fly very well.

Agreed. And like you said, wrong place, wrong time. That is just a topic that gets me going. The sucess DCA is currently enjoying I think has a lot to do with the startup costs associated with the model.

Agreed. And like you said, wrong place, wrong time. That is just a topic that gets me going. The sucess DCA is currently enjoying I think has a lot to do with the startup costs associated with the model.

Whick brings me back to appending a junior division to DCA. :shutup: