Drum Corps Trivia

Info you asked for:

Hurricanes and Buccaneers are the only corps from the first year to perform at every DCA weekend...

Bucs made finals 41 out of 43 times - finishing 11th in both 1994 and 1995

Hurricanes made finals 40 out of 43 times - finishing 12th in 1986, 11th in 1989 and 11th in 2003

2003 is kind of a history lesson as that was the year of the "judged exhibition". Although they did not officially make finals, they did perform and were judged. Their score would have knocked Grenadiers out of the top 10... which is exactly why the judged exhibition idea was awful and never repeated...

an interesting side note and I'm 99% sure I'm right about this, both corps in the years they did NOT make finals were either 11th or 12th and in those days, the 11, 12 placed corps put on the exhibitions at finals... I believe Hurcs and Bucs have performed at EVERY one of the 43 finals.

Caballeros have competed in 42 consecutive finals ... every year except 1965...

and yes, by far Cru has competed in more championships without ever winning than any other corps...

Thank you for the info. These stats are pretty amazing.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurricanes made finals 40 out of 43 times - finishing 12th in 1986, 11th in 1989 and 11th in 2003

2003 is kind of a history lesson as that was the year of the "judged exhibition". Although they did not officially make finals, they did perform and were judged. Their score would have knocked Grenadiers out of the top 10... which is exactly why the judged exhibition idea was awful and never repeated...

Were those "judged exhibitions" because a couple Finalist corps weren't American Legion-sponsored corps?

(Kingston and Renegades?)

2003 was one of the years where the DCAs and AL Nats were the same show, right?

Off the top of my head, I can think of three active DCA corps that have made DCA's top 10 every year they have competed at the DCA championship: Caballeros since 1966, Bushwackers since 1982, and Renegades since 2002.

What this has to do with anything else going on in the world, I have no idea. :tongue:

Fran

Off the top of my head, I can think of three active DCA corps that have made DCA's top 10 every year they have competed at the DCA championship: Caballeros since 1966, Bushwackers since 1982, and Renegades since 2002.

What this has to do with anything else going on in the world, I have no idea. :tongue:

Fran

I think Bush fits in this category, too?

lol... what you drinking tonight Ron? He said BUSH - put away the JACK

the judged exhibition year was indeed one of the Legion/DCA years... but the two non legion corps being in finals had nothing to do with the judged exhibition... it was just a "feel good idea" that someone had meant to lesson the impact of not making finals - it was a bad idea... it was a one year experiment that I don't think will ever be repeated.

###### Ron.......let's leave politics out of it. It's easy to blame Bush for all the ills of our society.......oh, wait, not Dubbya?????? Sorry.........carry on

I think Bush fits in this category, too?

I was thinking of Cru. Sorry about confusing the issue by using 'perrennial'. I had trouble spelling it, too!

1967 to 2007 without a DCA title is a long run. It says something about the character of the people in the organization that they keep coming back.

having spent many of those years with Cru including 4 as corps director... I couldn't agree with you more Bob... Don't know if it was the backbone Vince Bruni put in the corps in 1949 when Jennejahn lured him away from Brockport Batavia Cavaliers or just the rash of "long termed" players who held the corps together, but the corps was and is special... Just seem to keep rolling no matter what slaps them in the face.

Some of the personalities (like me) have moved on, but names like Tom Meek, Karl Essler, Fred Hall, Mike Linton and a host of others were just people who had no quit in them...

sign me... finished 7th in DCA more than anyone else... lol Since I never won a DCA championship, I take some solace in the fact that my daughter has won a couple of them. A vicarious championship is better than none at all... besides I did have the '65 and '72 Legion wins which gave GREAT satisfaction.

Tom- Many, like you and I, know that winning a Championship is not necessarily the 'best' part of drum corps. It's really the people who count; the rest is just the icing on the cake. :thumbs-up: