"Twirling Corps" of the 60's and Early 70's

HI all,

Most of you probably will not be able to help me, but I was wondering about corps from the 1960's and early 1970's. The corps I'm referring to were comprised of mostly baton twirlers but still included brass and percussion. Were they under the umbrella of USTA or VFW or what? Also, what were some of the names of the "corps?" I seem to remember the Blue Bells, Miller Blackhawks (yes, of Fred Miller marching merchandise) and the Conquestadors, but can't remember any others. These corps mostly performed in parades, but they also had contests with other corps and what I believe was called at the time, "Nationals," where they competed with other "twirling corps" at the end of the summer.

So, questions: What was the umbrella name? What were the names of some of the other "twirling corps" of the 60's and early 70's

A tanks

Edited by TrumpetCall
  • Like 1

They were under the auspicies of the National Baton Twirling Association (NBTA). They were prolific throughout the country and took on several different forms (military, "show," etc.). I marched in the Velvet Viking Cadets out of the Chicago area. We competed regionally against the Silver Knights, Marilynettes, Betty's Rebels, Highlighters, Jorgensen Rangerettes, and many others. Nationally we competed at the championships each year. My first year, "Nationals" was at the University of Miss (Oxford) in 1967. Then it was in Syracuse, NY the next year. After that it found a home at Notre Dame University and has been there ever since.

In the late 60s and early 70s almost half the Cavaliers drum line came from "twirly corps" and many guard members as well. These corps typically had about 20 twirlers, three or four snares, some triples, a few bass and cymbals, and marching bells (later expanded to include marimbas, etc.).

These corps still exist today and still compete each year at Notre Dame. The rules and variations of corps personnel are different, more like WGI with twirlers. It was a great activity to be a part of and we had excellent instructors. In fact, my corps was taught by Gary Czapinski, Hank Grana, Truman Crawford, among others.

I still have the Nationals "program" from 1968. It lists many corps names.

Edited by Paul Milano

Blue Devils, Madison Scouts and Vanguard were all twirling corps.....

Vanguard never had twirlers. "The Sparks" Drum Corps which Vanguard split may have had twirlers (I'm assuming). As far as I know, SCV never had twirlers except for '85, when they had one for a brief moment during the show. I don't think that really counts.

1967 Vanguard

SCVfirst5.jpg

They were under the auspicies of the National Baton Twirling Association (NBTA). They were prolific throughout the country and took on several different forms (military, "show," etc.). I marched in the Velvet Viking Cadets out of the Chicago area. We competed regionally against the Silver Knights, Marilynettes, Betty's Rebels, Highlighters, Jorgensen Rangerettes, and many others. Nationally we competed at the championships each year. My first year, "Nationals" was at the University of Miss (Oxford) in 1967. Then it was in Syracuse, NY the next year. After that it found a home at Notre Dame University and has been there ever since.

In the late 60s and early 70s almost half the Cavaliers drum line came from "twirly corps" and many guard members as well. These corps typically had about 20 twirlers, three or four snares, some triples, a few bass and cymbals, and marching bells (later expanded to include marimbas, etc.).

These corps still exist today and still compete each year at Notre Dame. The rules and variations of corps personnel are different, more like WGI with twirlers. It was a great activity to be a part of and we had excellent instructors. In fact, my corps was taught by Gary Czapinski, Hank Grana, Truman Crawford, among others.

Blue Devils, Madison Scouts and Vanguard were all twirling corps.....

Thanks! I find this very interesting. I guess I'm getting off topic of my own thread, but I wonder if today's guard could pick up some "moves" from yesteryear baton twirlers. Just a thought that came to me.

Paul,

Not all corps competed in NBTA. The Blackhawk's, which I was a member, competed in the United States Twirling Association (USTA). It was started, in part, by Fred Miller. The corps included the Conquistadors, Kay-Dettes (I was a member of both), Huntington Thunderer's (The 1st corps to beat the Blackhawk's and from NY), Shepard's Pink Panther's (from MD). In 1974 at Nationals in CA, the Blue Devils "B" corps competed. They placed 2nd to the Blackhawk's. My first USTA Nationals was 1966, in Grand Rapids.

My area still has a twirling corps that competes in parades and the nationals at Notre Dame. If you want blast from the past check them out. I always thought they could morph into a drumcorps, but the staff doesn't seem intereseted.

Paul,

Not all corps competed in NBTA. The Blackhawk's, which I was a member, competed in the United States Twirling Association (USTA). It was started, in part, by Fred Miller. The corps included the Conquistadors, Kay-Dettes (I was a member of both), Huntington Thunderer's (The 1st corps to beat the Blackhawk's and from NY), Shepard's Pink Panther's (from MD). In 1974 at Nationals in CA, the Blue Devils "B" corps competed. They placed 2nd to the Blackhawk's. My first USTA Nationals was 1966, in Grand Rapids.

Hey Don,

Yeah, that's right. Now I remember that there was another circuit out there. I really don't know what the differences were between the two circuits (different rules maybe?).

Guess who came from twirly corps to the Cavaliers in the late 60s early 70s? Don McWhorter, Ron Hermann, Skip Swoverland, me, Steve Schmid, Joe Balzer, Chris Lindley, Paul Leo, Bill Morgan, Bill Sweeney, Bill Dunne, Paul Redmond, Frank Esposito, just to name a few . . .

Nothing like a long bus ride with a slew of teenage baton twirlers!!! :thumbup:

Hey Don,

Yeah, that's right. Now I remember that there was another circuit out there. I really don't know what the differences were between the two circuits (different rules maybe?).

Guess who came from twirly corps to the Cavaliers in the late 60s early 70s? Don McWhorter, Ron Hermann, Skip Swoverland, me, Steve Schmid, Joe Balzer, Chris Lindley, Paul Leo, Bill Morgan, Bill Sweeney, Bill Dunne, Paul Redmond, Frank Esposito, just to name a few . . .

Nothing like a long bus ride with a slew of teenage baton twirlers!!! :thumbup:

In the twirling world there are: USTA, NBTA, DMA, WTA, NMA, and more. (Similar to the way there was VFW and American Legion in the old drum corps world) They each have their own local, state, regional, and nationals. The parade/drill teams in the various organizations may or may not include percussion, depending on the organization. I am constantly amazed at how color guards, more and more, are doing difficult twirls, spins, and rolls with rifles and sabres that twirlers do with batons.