Turn back the clock...

Change always seems to bring controversy...

Here is a twist in perspective that I have been curious to read about: How far back would you go through all of the evolutions of drum corps (member or fan). What do you call the "good old days"? It would be especially interesting to know how old each poster is...

I marched in the 90's and 00's, but I wouldn't have minded being an 80's baby. I don't think I could handle going back much further.

See, it's EASY...

Good Luck!

I'm 61 and I marched in the 50's and 60's'

Norristown Invaders

Ridlet Park Rangers

Reilly Raiders

Some fun parades with Archer Epler Musketeers

U.S. Navy Drum & Bugle Corps @ Great Lakes, Il

Drum corps has always been good but in the 2000's the performance level has gone to a new level with many of the top corps but on average the show content is not very entertaining as it was in years gone by.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but on the flipside it would've been nice to actually hear the ending trumpet solo from Cadets '87. I don't buy into the whole "adds to the mystique" argument. It was a musical moment that was missed on DVD and CD because it wasn't loud enough.
Was that a problem all season?

If so, it's down to the staff: Poor staging, poor dynamic level written into either the corps or the solo for that passage, poor selection of or training for the soloist.

If it was a one-off, a performance problem.

If a solo is missing, I agree that's not a mystique thing, but neither is it an argument for amplification. In the end, it just means that someone didn't get their job quite right.

No, not a problem all season. I heard that solo many a time throughout the year. The problem at finals was the crowd.... the place was going ape #### crazy by that point.

Just turned 54. I enjoy and can appreciate all drum corps. My personal favorite era was the 70's...starting with the 1970 Troopers, thru the 74 Muchachos,75 Madison Scouts, 76 Blue Devils, 78 SCV, 79 Phantom Regiment....

Fond, fond memories :tongue:

No, not a problem all season. I heard that solo many a time throughout the year. The problem at finals was the crowd.... the place was going ape #### crazy by that point.

The crowd was so loud, we couldn't hear verbal commands, in the block backfield to leave the field, from right in front of us. Insane night :grouphug:

To stay on topic: while I enjoy the recordings of groups before I marched and enjoy the heck out of watching the groups after I marched.....I feel so fortunate to march when I did. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe