Drum Breaks and the old school/new age discussion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My drum corps "infancy" was in the early 90s. First time i ever saw drum corps was 1992.

Santa Claras "Miss Saigon", Blue Devils show (Forgot the title), Cadets "To tame the perilous Skies"... They all had very brief but in my mind AMAZING percussion features.

After that, I got really into borrowing old videos and watching older (for me) drum corps and to be honest, I would kind of loser focus on the really long drawn out "Solos". It just wasnt my thing. Certainly, there are many who love it, but for me, i liked the "continuous" idea where the solo starts in the middle of something, and later continues into it. For example, one of my very favorites, the 1992 Crossmen! Also (for those who pay attention to the bottom of the top 25) Dutch Boy palying "Festival De Ritmo". (Although dirty) was SOOOO Exciting! Killer stuff there!

The deal with a Song ending, applause time, "1, 2, 1,2,3,4, 2 minute drum solo, Applause, 1, 2, 1,2,3,4 another song" just didnt really hold my attention.

I remember while watching my old drum instructors tapes, he had a tape of 1984 Cadets doing westside story. The way they worked that in with the brass, and doing feature, Big Brass Hit, Feature, Big Brass Hit, Feature, Feature, BIG HORN ENTRANCE TO END !!!" ... . LOVED IT! it was phenomenal.

Also, drumlines really took a back seat alot back then when it wasnt a "solo". Especially in your multitude of Jazz shows where Cymbal players had to hold Ride Cymbals for half the show and the snare lines played time on em.

Im finding alot that there is more steady contribution througout programs and while the 2 minute production features are gone, there will be a 20 seconds here, 15 seconds here, 40 seconds there type thing.

I can certainly find alot of both that I love to hear. My favorite long solo is probably 86 or 87 Devils, my favorite "modern" (for lack of a better word) style features are probably Blue Devils 2006/07, Santa Clara 2004, Phantom 2003/06.

good discussion!

Like someone said a few post ago, we basically have a whole song/movement devoted to the horns -- the ballad. Why shouldn't the battery and pit get some time for themselves also?

As to the whole "they're integrated into the shows now" thing...Yeah, they are spread more evenly now, but it definitely seems like there's way, way less total time given for drum breaks now than back in the older days. This seems more true in the lower ranking corps especially...kind of as if the staff weren't as sure how to integrate it properly or something. I mean, you can absolutley have a good half of a movement or even a whole movement devoted to percussion alone if you do it right.

Like someone said a few post ago, we basically have a whole song/movement devoted to the horns -- the ballad. Why shouldn't the battery and pit get some time for themselves also?

As to the whole "they're integrated into the shows now" thing...Yeah, they are spread more evenly now, but it definitely seems like there's way, way less total time given for drum breaks now than back in the older days. This seems more true in the lower ranking corps especially...kind of as if the staff weren't as sure how to integrate it properly or something. I mean, you can absolutley have a good half of a movement or even a whole movement devoted to percussion alone if you do it right.

To be fair, most ballads are also features for the pit also.

Another...is there a day in the future when the drum break goes away in the typical design/performance??

I don't know, dude....they may as well. They've already stripped out everything else fun, cool, interesting, unique, and entertaining from drum corps.

Edited by monoemono

I got to thinking about the whole old school/new age discussion that seems to weave in and out of discussions on DCP and this thought came to mind...cool as they may be, and integral to the traditional DCI show as they may be, isn't the drum break a relic of the past?

OK, the term 'relic' has kind of a negative connotation, so I should clarify. I'm not saying that drum breaks, as they are known today, should be done away with...just a thought. I mean, we've changed brass instruments (G/Bb), we've added narration and are now passing electronics, colorguard performances have gone from heavy use of weapons to heavy employment of dance and movement, and other major changes to what drum corps "used to be." A lot different than what you guys who marched years ago marched.

As usual, I'd like conversation to stay positive...despite my terminology above. I know we've got a lot of drummers from all eras and would especially like to hear your thoughts, but everyone feel free to chime in.

A thought for starters...I like the more technical integration of the percussion books today and the drum break actually seems to shut down the flow because the arranging is much more quality and then...boom!...you have this completely different (stylistically and purpose) section, then the entire ensemble goes right back into the show as it was going on before the break.

Another...is there a day in the future when the drum break goes away in the typical design/performance??

Just a thought...curious to hear thoughts...and not trying to stir the pot!

Gosh... I hope not. I'd bet big money that the vast majority of most crowds thoroughly enjoy drum solo's, breaks and features. Maybe the next question after drum breaks go away would be: "Is it time for guard effects and all the dragged onto the field crap these days to be done away with, too? Pretty soon you might as well just put a hornline out there with a guy playing drum set up front... and spectacular laser light show and huge visual screens to show images on at the back of the field. :smile:

A drumline deserves the chance to show what they have in a feature all their own, and should be included as PART of the typical design/performance.

Not being a smart aleck here... nor am I angry or flaming... just asking: You got something against drum features/solo's? :doh:

... its all about being musical...

...and you mean that in the sense that drumlines/percussion sections are indeed musical, so the feature belongs, right? :wub:

I don't know, dude....they may as well. They've already stripped out everything else fun, cool, interesting, unique, and entertaining from drum corps.

waaaahhh, haha. Dont be so cynical

...and you mean that in the sense that drumlines/percussion sections are indeed musical, so the feature belongs, right? :smile:

I was just messing around. Check the post about 2 above mine.

if the drum breaks disrupt the flow... then i don't know whose writing you're listening to...