Calling it what it is

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...and this should end things. I have it. The answer to all of our problems.

From now on...DCI will be known as....

Warm Peach Cobbler with a Scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Who wouldn't love that?

Me. I don't like Peach Cobbler. I can handle the Scoop of Vanille Bean Ice Cream though.

If we called it Paradise Pie from Chilis, I'd be down with the name change. :grouphug:

And what do you think of that?

HH

I think band has as much right to it's own unique approach as does drum corps, bagpipes or anything else. If a band changes it's instrumentation and approach to drum corps it is in every practical sense a drum corps just as a drum corps picking up narration and electronics is a band in every practical sense, regardless of what the circuit markets itself as.

It does work both ways.

And what do you think of that?

HH

And I think that they would be correct. If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...

Look, there are two aspects to this whole "drum corps = marching band" argument. One is where the activity meets the fans, and second is where the activity meets the corps themselves.

At this point in time where corps is, from the member/staff perspective, very little subtantive has changed, except for some equipment. They still tour, they still learn and perfect a 10-11 minute program with musical and visual elements.

At this point in time, from a fan perspective, a lot has changed. Approach and style are very different from 1972, and earlier if you like. Many older fans have disliked a lot of changes, some to the point of walking away. Others have come along, not because of the changes, but because they liked what they saw, regardless of what it was.

The problem with just calling a DCI corps a "marching band" (even IF they added WW tomorrow) is that, from the corps' perspective, it is not, and cannot be a band. Structurally, it isn't possible.

However, from the fans' point of view, it is possible. Not only that, but mimicking bands (like some bands mimicked corps in the past) is not only possible, but HAS happened. (And, I think, the intellectually honest people will admit that the on-field difference between corps and band HAS narrowed; they probably just believe that it's for the better.) And, I think this is where the real argument lies: Do corps need to mimic bands?

For those people who only experience DCI as a fan (either always or after aging out), some see it as a "marching band", but those who experience it from the inside, they can only see it as "drum corps". So, what to do?

I guess some are using "marching music" as a compromise, but that weak term leaves no one satisfied, and it still bothers the separatists because it also blurs the distinction they find important.

I predict that if George Hopkins reads this thread....and sees the post regarding the marching snakes.....

by 2009, the Cadets cream, maroon, and gold uniforms will "molt" into greenish brown snakeskin. Their new marching style will encompass "slithering" on their bellies. Without the use of legs or feet, there will be zero exposure to error in marching execution. Just think of it...no one ever out of step!!! No phasing issues!!!

...and the woodwinds would be playing that snake charmer music! You know, the one where the cobra is swaying from side to side... :grouphug:

I think band has as much right to it's own unique approach as does drum corps, bagpipes or anything else. If a band changes it's instrumentation and approach to drum corps it is in every practical sense a drum corps just as a drum corps picking up narration and electronics is a band in every practical sense, regardless of what the circuit markets itself as.

It does work both ways.

I want to be sure I understand.

A group that wants to call itself marching band can't do so if they emulate circa 1990 drum corps with bell-front instruments, etc. They're a drum corps, not band. That's what you're saying?

HH

I want to be sure I understand.

A group that wants to call itself marching band can't do so if they emulate circa 1990 drum corps with bell-front instruments, etc. They're a drum corps, not band. That's what you're saying?

HH

To quote Dale above, if it quacks like a duck.....

Call it anything you want. Call it a kazoo ensemble. If it has drum corps instrumentation, plays a drum corps style show, it's a drum corps. If it uses band instruments etc, it's a band. Really, it's quite straightforward.

At this point in time, from a fan perspective, a lot has changed. Approach and style are very different from 1972, and earlier if you like. Many older fans have disliked a lot of changes, some to the point of walking away. Others have come along, not because of the changes, but because they liked what they saw, regardless of what it was.

I'm sure you know this, but just to be clear ...

Many, maybe most, fans in the stands have little or no conception of drum corps 1972. Their point of reference is much nearer and less encumbered by the memories some of us old timers carry around. They're not burdened, as some of us are, for instance, by the vast conceptual gap that used to exist between bands and corps in the 70s as the two have converged to a large extent.

I suspect we agree on this point. Fans don't make the distinctions that we fanatics make. And even among we fanatics, there is a generation that doesn't share the older perspective and can't fathom the divide we sometimes allude to. For them, the distinctions are fuzzier for sure.

HH

Call it anything you want. Call it a kazoo ensemble. If it has drum corps instrumentation, plays a drum corps style show, it's a drum corps. If it uses band instruments etc, it's a band. Really, it's quite straightforward.

So drum corps is defined by its instrumention? Had the college bands in the movie Drumline used only bell-front brass, etc., they'd be drum corps? All the dance moves, still quacks like a drum corps? Tell me.

HH

But junior corps still use drum corps instrumentation.