***Freelancers Alumni & Friends Horn Rehearsals***

Sacramento rehearsal is tonight.

Next SoCal is the 31st.

Darn, I thought it was next week. I thought I'd come and check you guys out . . . I'm not sure I am ready to play, it's only been less than a month since I picked up my trumpet - for the first time in about 29 years. I am still trying to build up the chops . . . etc. But I thought it would be good to hear you guys, and maybe, just maybe . . .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, I thought it was next week. I thought I'd come and check you guys out . . . I'm not sure I am ready to play, it's only been less than a month since I picked up my trumpet - for the first time in about 29 years. I am still trying to build up the chops . . . etc. But I thought it would be good to hear you guys, and maybe, just maybe . . .

Just go. When I first did the BD alum thing last year, it had been exactly 30 years. Last horn I had played was a valve rotor Ultratone or a slide trombone. I had no idea as to the fingering except something deep in the recesses from two weeks of playing a concert baritone in high school. In fact, I had rented a bari and all they had was an upright so that was what I was taking to rehearsal, a beat up brass Olds bari. That was what I had taken to the Pavilion and had to rehearse with in the freaking parking lot sticking out like a big darn sore thumb. But it was cool, because I was in heaven! Man, to be playing with the best of the best once again was worth it.

Everyone has apprehensions. No one is gonna laugh at you. Well maybe once you get settled in :-) Everyone is gonna be helpful and no.... you won't be doing any push ups and no one is gonna plug your mouthpiece LOL

So go to the next one, enjoy a big part of your life that has been missing for the past 29 years and live the glory once again. For anyone who has doubts, I want you to take a look at this video. It is of us at PW last year. My friend Amado's (contra) wife was videoing. She was with their two little girls. That's what it's all about my friends. For those of you who have spouses who weren't around in the heyday and have to listen to all of the stories, see the DVD's and hear the cd's over and over while saying yeah yeah yeah.... snore.... This is the chance to show them you are da man/woo-man!!

Vid: PW last year

Edited by mpron

Just go. When I first did the BD alum thing last year, it had been exactly 30 years. Last horn I had played was a valve rotor Ultratone or a slide trombone. I had no idea as to the fingering except something deep in the recesses from two weeks of playing a concert baritone in high school. In fact, I had rented a bari and all they had was an upright so that was what I was taking to rehearsal, a beat up brass Olds bari. That was what I had taken to the Pavilion and had to rehearse with in the freaking parking lot sticking out like a big darn sore thumb. But it was cool, because I was in heaven! Man, to be playing with the best of the best once again was worth it.

Everyone has apprehensions. No one is gonna laugh at you. Well maybe once you get settled in :-) Everyone is gonna be helpful and no.... you won't be doing any push ups and no one is gonna plug your mouthpiece LOL

So go to the next one, enjoy a big part of your life that has been missing for the past 29 years and live the glory once again. For anyone who has doubts, I want you to take a look at this video. It is of us at PW last year. My friend Amado's (contra) wife was videoing. She was with their two little girls. That's what it's all about my friends. For those of you who have spouses who weren't around in the heyday and have to listen to all of the stories, see the DVD's and hear the cd's over and over while saying yeah yeah yeah.... snore.... This is the chance to show them you are da man/woo-man!!

Vid: PW last year

What a great story! and it is so true - no one will laugh at you! We are a family that seperates, after a long journey, then discovers that something is missing in our life. All the friendships and memories you've experienced together, re-kindles itself at practice.

Here is how......as your in line playing, looking at corps members from the past, playing the old warmups and laughing together, all of a sudden, someone else comes through the door. At first your not sure, then you recognized something familiar about them, someone calls out their name and it all comes back!!...

A flashback in time, Denver.....Allentown....Whitewater....Prelims.....Finals..

Freelancers is a large extended family that stretches the entire west coast and beyond.....come and play with us.....

:thumbup:

Here is how......as your in line playing, looking at corps members from the past, playing the old warmups and laughing together, all of a sudden, someone else comes through the door. At first your not sure, then you recognized something familiar about them, someone calls out their name and it all comes back!!...

A flashback in time, Denver.....Allentown....Whitewater....Prelims.....Finals..

Now this is how deranged you can get. We are eating dinner the night before our PW show last year after some of the guys had just rolled into town. Someone says I think I should loosen up my chops. We wonder where the heck we can go, it is about 9:15 pm. We figure let's mosey on over to BD Hall. Crap, they are playing bingo.

But hey, there is this loading dock next to the parking lot I had practiced in earlier in the day across the street. So the four of us go there, it is cold, it is very windy, I have the car doors wide open with the MP3's of our music blaring and we are practicing in the dark with one light over us at 10 at night. The people in the bingo hall must've thought a cat was stuck in a fence or something. We practiced for about an hour and then we figured we would have pity on Damon's wife and go back to the hotel.

THE SICKNESS THAT IS DRUM CORPS IS BACK BABY!!!

Sheet music for Malaga has been posted at www.freelancers.org on the Media page. :tongue:

Sweet, all the transpositions are up for trumpet as well.

How is the hornline for sopranos/trumpets shaping up? Any sections in special need?

Hmm...Simi Valley is only about 25 minutes away.

OK...I'll go if you guys produce that hot guard chick (rifle) I met in Montreal in 1984 and make her flirt with me until my wife beats me over the head!! :tongue:

My bro is a sleaze! hahahah

Are you asking if we ride the short bus? :tongue:

Seriously though, we're in special need of you! Come sit in for a night - we'd love to meet you. :tongue:

Funny, I sometimes tell people "I know I'm special because I used to ride the special bus to school."

But seriously, what I meant was "we need 3rd sop, 2nd sop . . . / trumpet . . .

BTW, I guess I'll be seeing the drum line on Saturday. My Daughter is in winter drumline and will be at Johanson on Saturday.

Wifey works on Tuesday evenings, so . . .