Old Recordings - DCI

Come on! It's a bunch of kids marching on a field playing some tunes! It's not pirated Madonna or Led Zepplin! We put wayyyyyyyyyy too much thought into copyright issues when all these kids wanted was for people to hear them play.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I inquired about two weeks ago, about the Legacy CD Collection 1972-1977. The lady I spoke with said there were none in stock, and there were no plans to offer them in the future. When I asked why, she said, "No one wants those old recordings." I just hung my head, and hung up the phone. :tongue:

You're not drinking the Kool-Aid koolaid5b.jpg

I inquired about two weeks ago, about the Legacy CD Collection 1972-1977. The lady I spoke with said there were none in stock, and there were no plans to offer them in the future. When I asked why, she said, "No one wants those old recordings." I just hung my head, and hung up the phone. :tongue:

I just sent over a request via the "fan network," in indicated that I understand the reluctance to distributing these due to lack of demand, but also indicated that they might be surprised at what the actual demand would be. Then I suggested that they log my request and other such requests as "intended demand."

Having worked in a service business, I know that sometimes people say (with regard to problems with equipment) "we've not had any reports of that problem," and having been closely been involved with whatever was at issue been able to say "I am quite certain this problem has been reported before because I had to report it for the following customers . . ." No "recorded" demand is not the same as no demand.

Funny thing is, it's likely that folks out there have these recordings. I am pretty sure I used to have them myself (all those years ago). All it takes is the right person reading the post . . . but then, it could get tiresome seeing these discussions come up over and over.

I don't know whether that is more shocking or saddening.

Come on! It's a bunch of kids marching on a field playing some tunes! It's not pirated Madonna or Led Zepplin! We put wayyyyyyyyyy too much thought into copyright issues when all these kids wanted was for people to hear them play.

Sounds good until the lawyers show up...... :tongue:

Miss the days of sitting in the stands with my handy dandy crappy wappy Radio Shack-up cassette recorder. At long as the show wasn't being recorded and I wasn't going to sell copies, no one gave a crap.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

All of those recordings are available for ala carte download at the DCI site http://www.dci.org/media/

Edited by mobrien

There is always the old Fleetwood recordings.

http://www.fleetwoodsounds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Not trying to cause trouble, but how does DCP "know" that the Fleetwood group has crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is on the legal issues. Remember reading this group was looking for old Fleetwood vinyl and can't remember what I read about legalities. Also last I remember, Drum Corps News had the rights to re-release Fleetwood sounds but the fire in the late 1970s killed that idea (have one of those re-releases at home).

Sounds good until the lawyers show up...... :tongue:

Miss the days of sitting in the stands with my handy dandy crappy wappy Radio Shack-up cassette recorder. At long as the show wasn't being recorded and I wasn't going to sell copies, no one gave a crap.

Hey, I used to be a RadioShack manager. :ph34r:

Those crappy wappy tape recorders were pretty reliable. Back when I was still in junior corps, I used them to record drum corps shows, too. Finally got some of those recordings digitized a couple of years ago. Reliable, yes. Did they create a good quality audio recording back then....uh, no. Actually, the recordings on my 1974 model sound like the gain was set way too high. :tongue: My next tape recorder was a lot better, but sadly, I lost many of those recordings.

Hey, I used to be a RadioShack manager. :ph34r:

Those crappy wappy tape recorders were pretty reliable. Back when I was still in junior corps, I used them to record drum corps shows, too. Finally got some of those recordings digitized a couple of years ago. Reliable, yes. Did they create a good quality audio recording back then....uh, no. Actually, the recordings on my 1974 model sound like the gain was set way too high. :tongue: My next tape recorder was a lot better, but sadly, I lost many of those recordings.

LOL, biggest problem I had was from the indoor concerts that were recorded by my family or myself. Had the late 70s cassette recorder with the external mic. We'd stop the recording using the mic switch in between numbers to save tape and you'd hear a screetching sound when the tape stopped. I got used to it, but sent it "somewhere" (the site that cannot be named :tongue: ) to be digitalized. Drove the guy there nutz cutting out the screetch a few dozen times.

Seriously, amazing how good the sound quality is considering the low cost of the recorder, age of tape and fact I sent in a re-recording (lost the original).... Of course the clean up during digitalizing really helped...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari