Interesting Comment from Hop

My experience in life is that anyone who truly wants to do something will find a way to do it. There are countless stories of folks overcoming any barrier to get what they want. Drum Corps costs money. In some cases, a lot of money. However, I'm willing to wager that each and every corps has members each and every year that did whatever it took to march.

Its all about "the want"....

And while these stories are all very inspirational, the reason you hear about them is because they are the exception to the general rule. It's only the remarkable stuff that makes the news (unless you count the endless "Britney screws up her life again" stories.....)

Why do you see this as a problem? Honestly, why?

Being in an single gender environment, whether it be a school, drum corps, summer camp, sports team, whatever, is a different experience than that of being in a co-ed environment. It has value. So what's your problem with it? Why do you think that that type of experience should not be offered anymore?

I'm not suggesting that it not be offered. I'm saying it is impossible to address "equality" without looking at something unequal. If corps are willing to discriminate by gender, there is no credibility with which to argue about race. The only equitable discrimination DCI requires is about the number of days on this earth. That's it.

If a drum corps is willing to deny access because someone is female, it's difficult, if not impossible, to address any societal shortcomings without a galactic heaping portion of hypocrisy.

Women are encouraged to try out for all but two corps that have a historic gender specificity. Remove that and you might as well remove the corps themselves, as they would no longer be what they have always been dedicated to being.

That's an interesting viewpoint there considering your contention that DCI will always be drumcorps no matter what kind of instruments they have, hence no need to change the name to summer band international.

That's an interesting viewpoint there considering your contention that DCI will always be drumcorps no matter what kind of instruments they have, hence no need to change the name to summer band international.

It's ok to have an amplified saxophone sampler, as long as whoever playing it has a twig & berries.

I'm not suggesting that it not be offered. I'm saying it is impossible to address "equality" without looking at something unequal. If corps are willing to discriminate by gender, there is no credibility with which to argue about race. The only equitable discrimination DCI requires is about the number of days on this earth. That's it.

If a drum corps is willing to deny access because someone is female, it's difficult, if not impossible, to address any societal shortcomings without a galactic heaping portion of hypocrisy.

If women didn't have access to other drum corps, I could see your argument being much stronger. But the fact that only 2 corps out of 30+ are male-only makes the argument weaker. Plus, there have been all-girl drum corps in the past.

If women didn't have access to other drum corps, I could see your argument being much stronger. But the fact that only 2 corps out of 30+ are male-only makes the argument weaker. Plus, there have been all-girl drum corps in the past.

Would it be acceptable if all but two corps allowed Hispanics?

You said "a few" which I don't doubt is correct as a percentage of the overall drum corps population. Check your tapes (or DVDs) from the 70s and 80s. White.

Affordable. Local. And white.

HH

How many corps were on those tapes each year in the 70's and 80's? How many corps were there that DIDN'T make the tapes?

How many corps were on those tapes each year in the 70's and 80's? How many corps were there that DIDN'T make the tapes?

CMCC Warriors! 100% black and for pure fun my favourite corps at the Shriners 1971 or 72.