Lip Trills

Kroxxx567

So I was listening to some old BD recordings and one of them had this amazing baritone soloist, so I was wondering if anyone new of a good way to build lip trills as a baritone player, I would assume it's essentially the same as on trumpet but I've never really been taught any technique on this, so any suggestions?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was listening to some old BD recordings and one of them had this amazing baritone soloist, so I was wondering if anyone new of a good way to build lip trills as a baritone player, I would assume it's essentially the same as on trumpet but I've never really been taught any technique on this, so any suggestions?

81 BD I bet.Nice. :tongue:

The way I learned(dont know if there is a correct way or not),is by taking the basic lip slur(say a 3rd ,Bb to D,or C to E for us old timers)and playing it first as 1/4 notes,then 1/8 notes,then 1/16.....etc.You have to arch your tongue and use a touch more air while doing that.Say daah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee.Be sure to note what your tongue does when you say that.Do that while playing the slurs,and keep getting faster,making sure that each note is played evenly.For example,play concert Bb(dah enunciation),hold the note,then slur up to D(eee enunciation).There is minimal lip movement.There may(probably)be alot of lip movement at 1st,but it should diminish as those muscles build.Hope that helps.

Using a mouthpiece with a V-ish cup will make it easier to do. I've always favored C cup mouthpieces because they center and slot better. But going to a V-ish cup has allowed me to use a smaller inner rim and still have a low end. And things don't slot as well so lip trills are much easier. Sometimes too easy.

81 BD I bet.Nice. :omg:

The way I learned(dont know if there is a correct way or not),is by taking the basic lip slur(say a 3rd ,Bb to D,or C to E for us old timers)and playing it first as 1/4 notes,then 1/8 notes,then 1/16.....etc.You have to arch your tongue and use a touch more air while doing that.Say daah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee-aah-ee.Be sure to note what your tongue does when you say that.Do that while playing the slurs,and keep getting faster,making sure that each note is played evenly.For example,play concert Bb(dah enunciation),hold the note,then slur up to D(eee enunciation).There is minimal lip movement.There may(probably)be alot of lip movement at 1st,but it should diminish as those muscles build.Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I did J.....only as a trumpet player I used the pitches A (above the staff) to C#. For some (very strange)reason, I found these 2 notes to be closest to each other, and easier to slur, thus making it easier for me to perfect my lip trills.

(And before I hear any wise cracks from you........yes....I did this while lying in my lounge chair!!!) LOL

That's exactly what I did J.....only as a trumpet player I used the pitches A (above the staff) to C#. For some (very strange)reason, I found these 2 notes to be closest to each other, and easier to slur, thus making it easier for me to perfect my lip trills.

(And before I hear any wise cracks from you........yes....I did this while lying in my lounge chair!!!) LOL

I did the same thing on the trombone - work the slurs. the minor 3rds tended to come easierst at first.

You got to get to the point where the tongue is basically "flapping in wind" sortta speak.

So I was listening to some old BD recordings and one of them had this amazing baritone soloist...

"Old" is a vague term to many of us on DCP. So, I am not sure exactly what you were listening to. (FYI I would consider old to equal pre 1961).

I was just listening to late 70's early 80's BD myself just the other day and thinking, why isn't anyone doing this kind of stuff anymore?

Guess you may have to look up some "modern" DCA shows. I might suggest the evil 7 gang in San Fran.

:omg:

I did it the same way Jerome did. Took a few months of doing it every day.

The quick and easy way is to shake the horn - or if the horn is too bulky, shake your head. In this respect, it's a Vibrato Gone Wild.