FEB. Camp MADISON style!

Yeah the 2002 gives away a lot. He can be flip and dismiss Madison because theyve missed finals for only the 3rd time in the history of DCI. Fact is Madison is among the most (if not most) popular corps in DCI history even when they were not top 6. Nothing lasts forever, Madison might make it back to the top (frankly in todays DCI why would they want to?) or they may go the way of the dodo. Either way our tradition and brotherhood beats anything this DCIfan2002 has ever done or will do.

Oh...trust me...they want to. They want to.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because Madison works to entertain the masses in the stands, not the few green-shirts on the field.

No they won't, DCI won't let them. I don't even see Phantom ever winning again. The corps name doesn't begin with Cavaliers, Blue Devils, or Cadets. And that's a major bummer.

Madison has been filled with a dichodomy if you ask me....they want it both ways. They want the crowd to be entertained and they want a score good enough to perform in front of the largest crowd of the season. That's the facts.

As far as the second part....just sour grapes. No one is not letting anyone win. Almost a triple negative there mind you. You give the judges too much credit for conspiracy.

But, I know this...send the International members who barely speak English to your critiques for awhile...it sends a message to the judges. They get the point.

Well, we're down to 20 D1 corps touring this year.

Gas is going to be in the neighborhood of $4/gal.

The top 10 corps just created enough new spots to absorb one entire 150-member corps.

The DCI Board now represents only 6 corps.

draw your own conclusions.

oh yeah...did you hear of the DCI Gas Kartel?

Fill up the tank....fill up the bus...that's just smart management.

If your corps can't recruit...who's problem is that? Sounds like...YOURS!

Tom,

I can't quite figure you out ??? :tongue: Why in the world do you have to be so mean-sprited in your statements. I mean the comment about barly english speaking members going to meetings ? That was 6 years, 1 board ,and 3 corps dirs. ago man. Give that junk up !!!! I could say more but I won't. My parents always told me, " Treat others as you wish to be treated."

Have a nice day,

:tongue: Bill Leslie :worthy:

Madison has been filled with a dichodomy if you ask me....they want it both ways. They want the crowd to be entertained and they want a score good enough to perform in front of the largest crowd of the season. That's the facts.

thats only a dichotomy if you are a dci official or a judge. to the rest of us, its just plain common sense. want dci to work, make money, and draw bigger crowds? come up with a judging system that guarantees that the most popular show (say, crown last year) is always in the top three, and the winning corps always gets at least one of the 2-3 biggest crowd responses. do that while maintaining technical excellence and design innovation, and you'd be selling shows out consistently, and filling the tanks of ALL the buses, not just a few.

Tom,

I can't quite figure you out ??? :tongue: Why in the world do you have to be so mean-sprited in your statements. I mean the comment about barly english speaking members going to meetings ? That was 6 years, 1 board ,and 3 corps dirs. ago man. Give that junk up !!!! I could say more but I won't. My parents always told me, " Treat others as you wish to be treated."

Have a nice day,

:tongue: Bill Leslie :worthy:

6 years??? That was 95 man...13 years ago!

If your corps can't recruit...who's problem is that? Sounds like...YOURS!

You don't know much about DCI history, Tom. In 1975 Madison came out with 135 members and it immediately became obvious that size is a significant competitive advantage. The next year, DCI passed the 128 limit, with the approval of Madison's director, I might add. A corps with 110 members can compete against 128, and eventually rise through the ranks. Against 150? No way.

Another rationale for the 128 limit was to reign in travel costs for the California corps. Remember what gas prices were in the 70s? A 128 member corps could fit comfortably in 3 coaches (plus staff van and equipment truck).

The 128 limit was a good rule that made it possible for corps to rise through the ranks and to tour on a reasonable budget. Adding 22 members means that an entire drum corps is absorbed into the top six. There is just no way to construe it as anything but anti-competitive.

He also said that he welcomes woodwinds so more students can participate .

which one do you believe ?

Both, sadly. :tongue:

As far as the second part....just sour grapes. No one is not letting anyone win. Almost a triple negative there mind you. You give the judges too much credit for conspiracy.

While there are people who do believe winners are predetermined, the majority of people who youve mischaracterized believe that DCI judges simply know whats expected of them if they want to continue to be DCI judges. It is a combination of job preservation and groupthink. Very different from conspiracy but similar in outcome - the very statistically improbable outcome that in an activity with some many variables, with so many talented people performing essentially "art" and despite almost annual tweaks to the criteria for winning, that the same 3 corps would win year in year out. And surprise! these corps are associated with the most influential voices in DCI!

Some things become apparent only in retrospect.

Edited by Scerpella

Both, sadly. :tongue:

Yeah Im surprised anyone would apparently think these are mutually exclusive.