FEB. Camp MADISON style!

The 128 limit was a good rule that made it possible for corps to rise through the ranks and to tour on a reasonable budget. Adding 22 members means that an entire drum corps is absorbed into the top six. There is just no way to construe it as anything but anti-competitive.

Eh. Coming from the Texas band world, I found it odd (upon my discovery of drum corps in the late 90s) that drum corps were so small. I'll be happy to see bigger corps on the field.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all you guys that took part-- totally awesome. You folks turned my then 9 year old son, Thomas, into a Scouts fan. We went right to the souvies.

Well, thank you. You come find me this year, and introduce me to him. Id like to shake his hand. I will be at Drums On Parade. Just ask for JASON and Ill show up. I really dont have a position in the Corps other than just hanging out, so than I pretty much dont have to be anywhere at any certain time. I am usually at the basic blocks at camp, or just bopping around having a good time, checking out everything. There are so many peices to the puzzle, sometimes I dont see everyone, but I try. Its a great hobby.

Hope to meet you soon,

JASON- 2008 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!

Jason,

Thats Mr. Hundt to you, not Hunt. Thats as you say...."so yesterday". And if you're referring to my brother Don, well, how can I say this delicately in this sick PC world we live in,......ah......well.....the activity that now refers to itself as drum corps causes him to wretch violently. It's a rule in his house that you can't even mention the forbidden words (drum corps). Furthermore, believe me, I really hope your right regarding the activities future. I probably detest conspiracy la-la land theorists more then anyone. Unfortunately, this isn't rumor or here-say. As a matter of fact, you even know one of these former DCI Board Members. He's one of the most revered, loved and respected people to have ever been involved in drum corps. This former DCI Board Member is very open with his comments in which he's shared directly with me and I've witnessed many of his revelations come to pass over the past several years. Furthermore, from a business standpoint, irregardless of what you or I might want the activity to look like, I can see why DCI would want to go down the whole Corporate Hollywood path. I may vehemently disagree, but in a very sick way, it makes perfect sense! Come on, It's just business, right?........Econ. 101.......Turn a profit, right? A Drum Corps legend (not a Scout) said to me several years ago that the Scouts have to recuperate from the 2002 season because DCI needs the Scouts more then the Scouts need DCI. His belief was that the Scouts are the "glue" and last great hope and drum corps on the landscape to hold the Activities feet to it's original underpinnings. His strong belief was that as the Scouts go, so go's the activity. For better or for worse. Let's hope for the sake of what's left of the activity that so many of us love, that the Fabulous Madison Green Gods have a break out, earth scorching season!........We all need it.........DCI needs it. (I make NO apologies to those of you who after reading these comments believe them to be arrogant regarding the Scouts and/or my knowledge. The fact is, most who reside on DCP lack the history of involvement to even know of what I speak. And, this is extremely saddening since IT IS this activities very history that will guarantee it's future success. The problem is that "you don't know, what you don't know" and thus many of us merrily walk down a blind path together without the "light" of the past to guide the way......no, only youthful arrogance and presumption seem to rule the day......good luck!)

Sincerely,

Jerry H.

MYNWA

Darn it. I new it was wrong. Does Don still have that red car? Ill bet if Don brought his wife to camp just once now(11am Sun.- to 1pmSUN.) Things would be diffrent. Then at least he could show her how much fun we had together, you mark my words, all it would take is one time-now. I have fun, just ask Don.

PEACE

JASON

Actually Jason, I have to say that a certain influential director by the name of George Hopkins likes the idea of the Super Corps. He has made presentations to that fact and has talked to other directors about it. As we know, it may take several years, but he generally gets what he wants. I don't like it, but there it is for you.

Never heard of him.

Eh. Coming from the Texas band world, I found it odd (upon my discovery of drum corps in the late 90s) that drum corps were so small. I'll be happy to see bigger corps on the field.

So than your ok to spend more to see it than. Good. I would think most would not. I was hopeing to lower the price of things. DCI is in debt, this way of doing things, this super model as people call it does not work. Lower the prices, less overhead, more people to buy tickets. SIMPLE! DCI would not like me running things. But Ill bet the fans would.

JASON

Tom,

I can't quite figure you out ??? :tongue: Why in the world do you have to be so mean-sprited in your statements. I mean the comment about barly english speaking members going to meetings ? That was 6 years, 1 board ,and 3 corps dirs. ago man. Give that junk up !!!! I could say more but I won't. My parents always told me, " Treat others as you wish to be treated."

Have a nice day,

:tongue: Bill Leslie :worthy:

Thanks for the note Bill.

I don't think I've been mean spirited at all. I just stated facts. The facts are...the corps has had issues with judges in the past. That perception continues. But, for as many alums who I've spoken with who have the F###the judges attitude, the corps is dependent upon them in order to perform on Saturday evening at Finals. That's the meat of the post. Madison needs to be good enough so they can perform for more people. Sadly, that didn't happen for much of last year's regionals and finals performances. Nobody is happy if Madison is on in the afternoon and in the stands in the evening. Nobody.

thats only a dichotomy if you are a dci official or a judge. to the rest of us, its just plain common sense. want dci to work, make money, and draw bigger crowds? come up with a judging system that guarantees that the most popular show (say, crown last year) is always in the top three, and the winning corps always gets at least one of the 2-3 biggest crowd responses. do that while maintaining technical excellence and design innovation, and you'd be selling shows out consistently, and filling the tanks of ALL the buses, not just a few.

It really doesn't matter if you are top 3, what matters is that you get to perform on Saturday night. That's the goal. Winning, or getting top 3 is icing. Performance in front of DCIs largest crowd is the cake.

You don't know much about DCI history, Tom. In 1975 Madison came out with 135 members and it immediately became obvious that size is a significant competitive advantage. The next year, DCI passed the 128 limit, with the approval of Madison's director, I might add. A corps with 110 members can compete against 128, and eventually rise through the ranks. Against 150? No way.

Another rationale for the 128 limit was to reign in travel costs for the California corps. Remember what gas prices were in the 70s? A 128 member corps could fit comfortably in 3 coaches (plus staff van and equipment truck).

The 128 limit was a good rule that made it possible for corps to rise through the ranks and to tour on a reasonable budget. Adding 22 members means that an entire drum corps is absorbed into the top six. There is just no way to construe it as anything but anti-competitive.

Now the buses the corps use are 53 passenger in most cases so why not raise the limit to 150? Better use of fuel if you ask me. Empty seats do not perform. I know quite a bit about druim corps history my friend...love it when I can use the John McCain voice, by the way. 3 buses then...3 buses now.

Corps are not forced to march 150 members. Corps that can recruit 150 would probably march that many as they now can. If a corps cannot recruit 150 members, they will have to do more with less. That's just the facts. It's not the raising the limit...it's the corps' ability to recruit.

Recruit more members. Simple.