DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

Yep. People are really miffed with DCI this time and it's spilling over everhwhere.

OT - Was '78 the "Superman" and "Home" year? I loved that show (felt really bad for the bari that marched out of his pants up here in Canada - Toronto or Hamilton I think....)

OT That was 1979 - the underwear situation was in Toronto (CNE)

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you'd do nothing about it? You wouldn't express an opinion saying that DCI was wrong? You would keep mum about the whole thing? You wouldn't write a letter or email about it to any DCI official?

That's very admirable of you and quite consistent. <cue upperclass English accent> "Bloody good show, old man!"

Nope, I don't think I would, though I hope I never have to find out for real. My 'job' as an audience member is to attend and enjoy DCI shows...and DCA too, of course. I certainly would not leave DCI or make a huge stink over it.

OT That was 1979 - the underwear situation was in Toronto (CNE)

Still OT - :tongue: on that show, and also :tongue: for the bari player who marched half the show in his skivvies. I remember the announcer at the end of the performance "when your pants are dropping you keep on trucking". Huge applause.

So, you'd do nothing about it? You wouldn't express an opinion saying that DCI was wrong? You would keep mum about the whole thing? You wouldn't write a letter or email about it to any DCI official?

That's very admirable of you and quite consistent. <cue upperclass English accent> "Bloody good show, old man!"

Nope, I don't think I would, though I hope I never have to find out for real. My 'job' as an audience member is to attend and enjoy DCI shows...and DCA too, of course. I certainly would not leave DCI or make a huge stink over it.

So, then, the fact that you (quite proudly) posted on DCP last fall that you had sent an email to the DCI BoD telling them not to listen to those who were complaining (also via email) about amplification and narration doesn't make your above statement false?

You publicly expressed an opinion that DCI potentially making a particular decision that you wouldn't like (if they listened to the complainers) would be wrong AND you sent an email to them hoping that they would stay firm on their prior decision.

Sounds to me that you think your "job" includes trying to influence the DCI BoD to make decisions you like. The fact that you haven't had to work too hard at it (which you imply in your above statement) doesn't mean that you don't feel that urge.

Edited by Dale Bari

Interesting aside..or not. Magellan, the explorer has been mentioned a couple of times on this thread in different context.

The one post saying Magellan proved the Earth is round. Well, maybe to himself, most of the world knew the world was a sphere by the time he sailed. Pythagoras, around 600 BCE, calculated the circumference of what? A flat surface?

I didn't look it up, so it may have been another ancient mathematician and a different date, but I know it was done way back in the day. Even before G bugles had valves! :tongue:

Interesting aside..or not. Magellan, the explorer has been mentioned a couple of times on this thread in different context.

The one post saying Magellan proved the Earth is round. Well, maybe to himself, most of the world knew the world was a sphere by the time he sailed. Pythagoras, around 600 BCE, calculated the circumference of what? A flat surface?

I didn't look it up, so it may have been another ancient mathematician and a different date, but I know it was done way back in the day. Even before G bugles had valves! :tongue:

Continuing the OT:

Yes, that earlier mention of Magellan probably caused me to subconsciously use his name again in my nautical metaphor.

That dude Columbus tried to prove the roundness of the world much earlier. (Which, at risk of drifting further OT, reminds me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs throws in with ol' Chris. CC and the King are arguing flat vs round: CC: "The world, she'sa round, like an apple! King: "She's flat like a pancake!" CC: "She'sa round, she'sa firm, she'sa fully packed!")

BTW, that Greek mathematician was Eratosthenes of Cyrene. His calc was somewhere in 200's BC.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled discussion....

So, then, the fact that you (quite proudly) posted on DCP last fall that you had sent an email to the DCI BoD telling them not to listen to those who were complaining (also via email) about amplification and narration doesn't make your above statement false?

You publicly expressed an opinion that DCI potentially making a particular decision that you wouldn't like (if they listened to the complainers) would be wrong AND you sent an email to them hoping that they would stay firm on their prior decision.

Sounds to me that you think your "job" includes trying to influence the DCI BoD to make decisions you like. The fact that you haven't had to work too hard at it (which you imply in your above statement) doesn't mean that you don't feel that urge.

Right, that's just what I did. Gave my opinion before they voted...and I urged them to vote as they themselves thought best, which you left out.

Whatever their vote was, I would live with it and still enjoy drum corps shows.

Weren't they in a high school/college stadium when it was in Foxsborough?

DCI is usually at the mercy of the stadium holders on how many days is the stadium available and at what cost. When it was decided that II/IIIs wanted to have their own days for their finals (90s) sometimes it meant at another smaller stadium.

Most recently, the finals have been held mostly during the days on Friday and Saturday and usually at the same stadium as the World Class championships.

And that's the plan for Indy as Mike and I both pointed out.

I remember II/IIIs being at a high schools stadium in 2000 in Maryland and in 2006 they were in Camp Randall for Friday and Saturday so it really has to do with the length of use on the stadium in the negotiated deal.

Right, that's just what I did. Gave my opinion before they voted...and I urged them to vote as they themselves thought best, which you left out.

Well, in the fall of '07, I don't know what vote was imminent, but I guess that is beside the point.

For my point, it's irrelevant that you told them to vote how they thought best.

(Actually, it's internally inconsistent to include such a statement: "Here's what I think you should do, but do what you think best anyways." At that point, why bother? You're defeating your own purpose.)

The important - and relevant - part is that you desired to make your voice known to them. You tried to influence their decision and to ensure that they accepted your view. You intended to counter someone else's position, one that you feared could overcome yours, if you left it to chance.

So by agreeing with me, you're saying you did exactly what you decried and claimed above that you'd eschew.