DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

From the thread itself....

To be honest, DCI did NOT strong-arm us into changing or status...we made that decision on our own.

Yes, there was some emphasis from DCI-P that we could not recruit jr kids....but in reality, the choice was ours...we were not told specifically "recruit and you aren't performing"

Let it go, guys...we've made our choice and are comfortable with it...time will tell when we return to the sr ranks.

I can understand DCI wanting to protect their junior corps in California. They want them to be successful, and if kids are going to DCA corps instead, then the junior corps are hurting in membership. It's a tough land out there because there are so many corps in a small area. I think the best thing to come from this story is that there is another corps competing this summer, whether in DCI or DCA.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand DCI wanting to protect their junior corps in California. They want them to be successful, and if kids are going to DCA corps instead, then the junior corps are hurting in membership. It's a tough land out there because there are so many corps in a small area. I think the best thing to come from this story is that there is another corps competing this summer, whether in DCI or DCA.

You would have to ask though, why the DCA corps is an attraction to those junior corps aged kids, to the point where existing DCI corps feel threatened? That really goes to the heart of the OP, doesn't it?

You would have to ask though, why the DCA corps is an attraction to those junior corps aged kids, to the point where existing DCI corps feel threatened? That really goes to the heart of the OP, doesn't it?

And scanning the En-Garde thread (first I heard about it) appears the corps will be the non-touring, non Div I type and will be recruiting members with no corps experience and want to stay local. IMO, sounds more like an All-Age corps than the big ### tour model that DCI promotes. Interesting that DCI-P (Pacific?) made it's displeasure known regarding a future Div II/III corps.

#### hard enough starting a new corps without DCI-P making things harder. :lol:

What was the question? As I read it......the answer would be a simple yes or no. Right? Or was embelishment an option? Just sayin......

What was the question? As I read it......the answer would be a simple yes or no. Right? Or was embelishment an option? Just sayin......

OOOOpps...........wasn't a question. My bad.....

I would think that one of the biggest factors would be cost. That's one main reason why I would do DCA over DCI. Also, DCA is good experience before moving into DCI. I'm sure DCI does feel that its Open Class corps are threatened by DCA corps recruiting jr.-aged kids. DCI doesn't want its Open Class to suffer because of other non-DCI corps.

Regardless, like I said in my earlier post, it's great that there is another corps competing, whether in DCI or DCA. It's just unfortunate that the concentration of corps in that particular area of California causes issues between the two organizations.

I would think that one of the biggest factors would be cost. That's one main reason why I would do DCA over DCI. Also, DCA is good experience before moving into DCI. I'm sure DCI does feel that its Open Class corps are threatened by DCA corps recruiting jr.-aged kids. DCI doesn't want its Open Class to suffer because of other non-DCI corps.

Regardless, like I said in my earlier post, it's great that there is another corps competing, whether in DCI or DCA. It's just unfortunate that the concentration of corps in that particular area of California causes issues between the two organizations.

Always good that there is another corps, just too bad they will not be what they originally wanted to be. And yes - my question was rhetorical. Cost and time are definitely it.

Edited by kusankusho

Some people only feel the void maybe, say, once a year and they want to march or just play - just once and done for the year.

That's where Westshoremen come in.

Seems once a year the pagers go off and the emails are sent and somehow they get a complete and decent corps together to perform. Once.

You'll never see that in DCI. :lol:

Well, since I know you don't want to show how wrong you are...

29 Div II/III in 2005

22 Div II/III in 2007

Totals:

2005 - 53 corps

2007 - 44 corps

17% loss.

Thanks for the numbers. I appreciate your research. So the DCI overall total of 17% is very comparable to the 15.5% of DCA's total loss for the two seasons.

So, one could assume from this that the entire drum corps activity is suffering from between a 7.5% and 8.5% loss in peforming ensembles per year.

Again, thanks for pulling these numbers together.

Also, please note, I'm not saying that anything can be gleaned from just a two year sampling. All drum corps circuits have suffered losses since the 1970s. That's just the way it's done. People are too ready to blame some entity like an organization, when, in fact there are too many other factors more responsible for this decline. Again, I would argue that chief among these contributing factors has been poor management decisions. Interesting how when Joey brings up Capital Regiment, Magic, etc., he's eager to blame the touring and the DCI model for having these corps go inactive, however in both cases, poor management decisions are much more readily to blame.

And again, to the point of this thread...could these corps have made choices to move their organizations to DCA? Yes, the all-age option was available for both corps. Neither of them made that decision. I don't know if it was even investigated by either corps. Perhaps that was another in their line of poor management mistakes.

Have overtures been offered to Southwind? to Cascades? What are the leaders of those corps' thoughts.

Have overtures been offered to Southwind? to Cascades? What are the leaders of those corps' thoughts.

As much as I disagree with a lot of what you say Tom, this is a good question. Would there be aged out alumni willing to jump back into the ranks to keep the corps on the field, I wonder?

Would such an overture from DCA be considered "poaching" though?