Who are you voting for?

They don't, but it strikes me as a kind of "bait and switch" tactic. They've been running a "Classic Countdown" for several years now, so it's only natural that folks would assume that's what's happening again this year and not notice the removal of "classic" from the countdown name. It strikes me as a troubling trend: Cash in on what's current and ignore the past.

There's no "Bait & Switch". There's just switch.

Maybe it's not a trend, but rather as I see it, those older, grainy shows look like crap in a theater. It's not the fault of the show, but the medium, and the reality is that a show on film, squeezed into a TV, and then stretched back out for a movie isn't so pretty.

Sorry; I'm all for the historical eras, but it's sour grapes to suggest that using newer material is a slight. If anything, show whatever sells tickets! The newer material has all been recorded in 5.1, and is much better suited for theatrical release. Sucks, but that's the truth.

This new format is a wise move on DCI's part, I think. I'll be surprised if turnout isn't higher than it was last year...and the people who show up are more likely to be long-term fans, not fans who will soon walk away from DCI because of impending changes. Just my guess.

I don't think I'll vote today, I want to mull it over a little more. I'm leaning toward:

2006 PR

2006 Cavies

2007 Crown

2005 Scouts

2006 SCV

2007 BD

Since we could vote for the same corps more than once... My votes are:

2007 The Cavaliers

2007 Carolina Crown

2006 The Cavaliers

2006 Phantom Regiment

2006 Carolina Crown

2005 The Cadets

(Off Topic: I wonder how many people will give this vote more consideration than the Presidential election :worthy: )

2007 BD

2007 PR

2007 Crown

2006 Cavies

2005 Bluecoats

2005 SCV

I should have read more carefully before voting. I didn't know you could vote for the same corps twice! That would have definitely changed my vote. Oh well.

Edited by oneanddone06

1. 2007 Carolina Crown 2. 2007 Bluecoats 3. 2007 Glassmen 4. 2006 Cavaliers 5. 2005 Cadets 6. 2005 Phantom Regiment since I could not pick Crossmen, Here are my choices.

Sorry; I'm all for the historical eras, but it's sour grapes to suggest that using newer material is a slight. If anything, show whatever sells tickets! The newer material has all been recorded in 5.1, and is much better suited for theatrical release. Sucks, but that's the truth.

Well, we'll disagree about it being "sour grapes." I see your point about the video quality not being nearly as good, but the fact remains that that's all there is. One of the great things I thought was part of the "Classic Countdown" series is that it exposed young people to shows they might not have seen otherwise. The fact that there were other shows they knew they wanted to see was a great enticement to get them exposure to some of what came before.

Edited by byline

Well, we'll disagree about it being "sour grapes." I see your point about the video quality not being nearly as good, but the fact remains that that's all there is. One of the great things I thought was part of the "Classic Countdown" series is that it exposed young people to shows they might not have seen any other way. The fact that there were other shows they knew they wanted to see was a great incitement to get them exposure to some of what came before.

Every single one of those classic shows are available on DCi.org or on the Legacy DVDs. It's not like DCi is hiding them from anyone. You can't expect one event like a countdown show to be all things to all people. Every Friday, DCI does a Flashback on historic corps. Do you look at the on a regular basis? I think that does a good job every week exposing kids to the past.

Edited by DrumCorps2008