The Cavaliers: Lackluster Endings?

Hroth, do you really think I was referring to drum corps sound?

I think its bad to try and sound like a drum corps, to be honest.

The Cavaliers sound so good because they don't play with loud, blatty, bright, drum corps sounds.

The same goes for The Bluecoats, The Blue Devils, and a few others.

I see. Though I think Cadets and Crown have very characteristic drum corps sounds, and they sound incredible.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think Phantom was out of tune at this "blasstissimo" volume, then I can almost gaurentee you that a certain corps that held a note for about 26 counts in their opener wasn't that in tune after the first 12 counts.

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

If you think Phantom was out of tune at this "blasstissimo" volume, then I can almost gaurentee you that a certain corps that held a note for about 26 counts in their opener wasn't that in tune after the first 12 counts.

I'm sure you are correct.

No one said that they were.

I was referring to something else.

Edited by gjdavistuba

32. :tongue::tongue:

I don't think the people who were on their feet after that, a minute into their show, including myself, cared one bit. And this is why I love drum corps.

The Cavaliers shows of the last decade have definitely been interesting. They are innovative, cohesive in their theming, and are usually dazzling in their precision. However as for them being totally "WOW".....eh.

They tend to be a little dry, and almost sterile in their surgical precision. I usually see where they are going, but they never reach that raw powerful climax that some of the other corps achieve. Maybe that's what they are going for, and one can't really argue with their results, however their shows are never really my favorites.

So I've been looking through the Cavalier videos lately. I couldn't help but notice, in my opinion, how mundane the design is in the last minute of the show.

Out of the top 6, especially considering The Cadets and Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers have some of the most weak endings that I've seen. They seem like an end of a song almost. Their loud chords at the end just don't seem to cut it as much as the other corps. The last minute or two is almost unmemorable musically and surprisingly visually. There's almost an absence of that "final push", that definitive end. A lot of times, I feel like their endings seem like a close to a song but not a show.

Anyone else share this?

I have been saying this since 2001. I love the Cavie's shows but their progams just sort of end with out blowing my hair back. It always seems (to me) that the song before the closer tends to be their strongest.

It's interesting that some seem think that 'loud' makes a bigger WOW ending (there have been some great WOW endings that were not loud). And some think that there is a lot of 'out of tune' moments (which is true). At the same time, most of the 'out of tune' moments are not so bad that you cant stand it. If that was the case some corps would not be placing as high as they do. If the Cavies have such a refined, controlled, and in tune sound it shouldn't be all that difficult to get the volume up over time (by the end of the season) while keeping the refined, controlled, and in tune sound. At some point it seems that the staff chooses to not 'max out' the good sound or they do not have the ability to get the corps to produce such a sound. Many factors to consider, but I do have to agree that most Cavie endings do not live up to expectations or potential.