Florida Brass - the alternative Drum and Bugle Corps

Florida Brass is announcing the retirement of Roy Grant, the founder of the Florida Brass Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps.

Roy has devoted 60+ years to the Drum Corps activity in both Junior and Senior organizations.

He has been a stalwart performer, Board member, recruiter and anything else that was needed to help the Corps grow over the four years of operation.

The past year as Corps Director, I found Roy to be relentless in offering help in any capacity. Our membership has grown over 25% with his assistance. Ill health kept Roy from performing in parades, but was always present for the standstill shows.

Many readers of DCP may know Roy from the past and present, a reply to say good luck in his retirement would be most appropriate !!

He is always welcome to sit-in at our rehearsals and of course some wisdom or suggestions in furthering the Corps effort will be considered.

It will be hard to find another member to fill his spot with the commitment level this gentlemen brought to activity.

Dik Buelow - Corps Director

Florida Brass is announcing the retirement of Roy Grant, the founder of the Florida Brass Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps.

Roy has devoted 60+ years to the Drum Corps activity in both Junior and Senior organizations.

He has been a stalwart performer, Board member, recruiter and anything else that was needed to help the Corps grow over the four years of operation.

The past year as Corps Director, I found Roy to be relentless in offering help in any capacity. Our membership has grown over 25% with his assistance. Ill health kept Roy from performing in parades, but was always present for the standstill shows.

Many readers of DCP may know Roy from the past and present, a reply to say good luck in his retirement would be most appropriate !!

He is always welcome to sit-in at our rehearsals and of course some wisdom or suggestions in furthering the Corps effort will be considered.

It will be hard to find another member to fill his spot with the commitment level this gentlemen brought to activity.

Good Luck Roy!

I'm new to the Florida Brass family and I want EVERYONE to know that you did things right.From the first minute I picked up a horn and sat down, I felt like I knew these guys for years. I truly believe this was due to the philosophy you set forth when the corps started.

One question:

Can anyone really retire from Drum Corps?

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Sunday, the 27th, Florida Brass will honor Roy Grant upon his retirement, at the Corps rehearsal.

Rehearsal is at the American Legion Post in Lakeland. Directions are on the website - www.floridabrass.org

A brief dinner will follow rehearsal along with social time with Roy and members. Many of us know how difficult it is to start up a Drum Corps anywhere in country, plus maintain its longevity.

We once again applaude the Sun Devils efforts and wish them well with the accreditation for DCA status.

Good work with Florida Brass Roy. Thank you for the vision and leadership.....ya know...ya can't have too many 'all age'/alumni corps out there, competitive or not.......have a great retirement....and never forget: what it means to 'age-out' of an alumni corps...........OUCH!!!!

anyone who can get all those old pharts from the north, who did battle , for so many years , to get along and produce such a fine corps deserves alot of credit......nice job roy.....best wishes!!! :w00t:

I've known Roy for some 48 years... ever since he took my big brother under his wing in the Brigs lead line... a fine gentleman and great drum corps guy... Best to you Roy... retirement just lets you enjoy the shows from the 50 yard line... hope to see you at a dca championship soon.

Sunday, the 27th, Florida Brass will honor Roy Grant upon his retirement, at the Corps rehearsal.

Rehearsal is at the American Legion Post in Lakeland. Directions are on the website - www.floridabrass.org

A brief dinner will follow rehearsal along with social time with Roy and members. Many of us know how difficult it is to start up a Drum Corps anywhere in country, plus maintain its longevity.

We once again applaude the Sun Devils efforts and wish them well with the accreditation for DCA status.

Thanks for the support Dik ! A hats off to Roy and continued success with Florida Brass.