WGI now making copyright claims on 2008 regionals

corpsband

Today i got a notice from youtube that our video from the Pittsburgh regional was flagged as a copyright violation. In the past regionals were ok to post - just not finals from Dayton. And in fact our performances at other regionals are still live. In fact other performances from the same regional are live as well.

There was no request on WGI's part to remove the video first -- they just flagged it as a copyright violation. Based on past experience we had no expectation or understanding that WGI had a problem with regionals being posted. A simple request would have been honored and would have avoided putting the violation flag on our account.

These videos are posted as an educational tool for our members and embedded on our site. Due to bandwidth and storage space consideration its just not practical for a shoestring-budget website to host streaming video on your own site. OTOH its important for performers to see themselves perform as a tool for improvement and education. If WGI would like to host the video's for us we'd be glad to avoid using Youtube.

But since WGI is trying to create an income stream from Replay, I guess our amateur off-center video was a threat to their pocketbook. So now performers need to pay WGI (in the form of a replay subscription) for the privelege of seeing their mistakes and correcting them. I wonder if the NFL makes players pay to see their game tape?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when we contacted wgi offices on this matter all we got was a rap recording of........everyday i'm hustlin,everyday i'm hustlin,everyday,everyday everyday i'm hustlin,hustlin,hustlin! :tongue:

j/k!

Edited by dugg

If you put up your video in privately, you probably wouldn't have these problems. I know with Google videos you can make it unsearchable and I'm pretty sure you can do the same with YouTube. Then you could send it to only those you wanted to see it (aka your students) instead of having it be in the public sphere.

There was no request on WGI's part to remove the video first -- they just flagged it as a copyright violation.

Same thing here... I think this is the most distressing issue. A simple request or news story on wgi.org would of been sufficient. Before today at noon, we thought our video was in the terms. I love WGI, but come on!

Maybe its YouTube that has a flag on anything labled WGI?

Same thing here... I think this is the most distressing issue. A simple request or news story on wgi.org would of been sufficient. Before today at noon, we thought our video was in the terms. I love WGI, but come on!

WGI is simply trying to protect itself. WGI pays a substantial amount of money ($100,000.00) in copyright fees each year. Before making statements about WGI trying to make money....do some research on copyright laws. WGI, DCI and most certainly BOA are on the radar when it comes to copyright infringement. There are attorneys that do nothing but search Utube, band websites, guard websites...etc....looking for copyright no no's. WGI is ultimately responsible for any video or audio recordings released from it's Regionals and World Championships.

WGI is simply trying to protect itself. WGI pays a substantial amount of money ($100,000.00) in copyright fees each year. Before making statements about WGI trying to make money....do some research on copyright laws. WGI, DCI and most certainly BOA are on the radar when it comes to copyright infringement. There are attorneys that do nothing but search Utube, band websites, guard websites...etc....looking for copyright no no's. WGI is ultimately responsible for any video or audio recordings released from it's Regionals and World Championships.

I totally understand the legality issues of copyright infringement, but I thought it was OK for us to post videos for recruitment and education. A simple request to take down the video is all we needed. Instead, instructors and website coordinators are now receiving negative marks on their YouTube accounts for doing what, before today, was considered OK.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon about financial speculation, I just want my YouTube account to be clear.

If WGI is trying to protect itself, why only act on the 2008 videos? Nevermind the past years of regional recordings; there are video's straight from past year DVD's which actually do constitute a copyright violation still available onlline . I'm a little familiar with the copyright issues as they pertain to marching arts. Posting a streaming video (aka NOT for download or redistribution) which we recorded on our own equipment of our own performance does not present a legal risk to WGI. And flagging it as a copyright violation without a request to remove it is not only BAD PR it's also BAD policy; now a clean youtube ID clearly associated with a unit has a copyright violation listed against it . REPLAY (and it's associated income stream) is the only apparent reason to go after 2008 recordings.

As far prior to 2008 - the WGI On Demand stuff only has the shows that passed copyright clearance. So, I imagine that is one reason they don't sell some of the older things anymore. Or they didn't sell them until recently because they were trying to get the copyrights ok'd. This is just a speculation of course.