California guards... anyone have any info or thoughts?

Will

I love Rancho Bernardo, great show this year.

I don't really like Corona this year. It's just not my cup of tea.

Lovin Diamante this year, fantastic sabres as always.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOUBLE POST!

I love SCV's show now, it gives me much "momentry". Momentry is a new word I just made up meaning how many

"moments" are in a show. Their sabres are fantastic in the beginning. The design flows brilliantly and it's just easy to watch

for enjoyment.

i agree per santa clara vanguard.the show some really nice design qualities and interesting staging.

"and so it is"......with the sound of a quickening heartbeat this show is about breath,release and exquisite partnering.

"can't take my eyes off of you" the lyrics of the song proclaim and this ensemble certainly connects emotionaly and spiritually with the audience exuding a tender,somber,bittersweet feeling throughout.

performers leaping into the awaiting arms of oneanother,beautiful flag tosses that seem to float and hang effortlesly executed with flawless timing.also noted and appreciated were extended flag phrases that were sensitive and responsible to the soundtrack.i can recall several exciting bursts of sky-high tosses from the rifles and sabres all thrown with technique and caught with absolute conviction.this equipment writing style has a clean crisp edge to it that really apeals to my senses and there is a wonderful moment of ensemble choreography that looks very unique,fresh and modern.

the message to me is connections,the unavoidable connections between the heartbeat and breathing itself and the unrelenting human connection we have with each other.

overall i found this program very pleasing.looking forward to another viewing.

Edited by dugg

So, for those of you that have seen them (even on RePlay), what do you think of Corona?? Santa Clara Vanguard?? Diamond BAr? Arcadia?? It seems the East/Midwest is all we are talking about so far...

Let's give the Western guards some love and attention...

Arcadia - WEIRD. I watched the promo video on WGI and it is kind of creepy. Still, the trademarks are there and I think they will fare quite well in Dayton.

I'll have to look into that.

Being that I'm an Arcadia grad from LONG ago, I'm sure it beats the "Hup, Hup Ready Ho!" days when I attended.

Note: I said attended, never marched in that guard.

I preferred drum corps over band.

Nancy

I loved Santa Clara Vanguard's show I could feel the all the love the performers were giving off.

Fantasia's Show is amazing this year they are my pick to win this year.

In Motion (IW) while not the most exciting show I've seen this year has some very well trained and talented performers. They do what they do very well.

I don't care for Corona much this year just too much color and stuff going on at once and I don't get a good grasp at what they are trying to convey.but they do have a couple jaw droping tricks.

Arcadia's (SW) show is pretty awesome I love when guards go out of the box and do something a little different. I love the hair and makeup all very awesome.

Rancho Bernardo's (SW) show is good but I don't like it as much as past years shows. But I do like ending with the blind flower girl and Charlie Chaplan very classy reference.

I liked Rancho Cucamonga HS (SW) sleep show very cool stuff all around. I like how in the ending nightmare music you can hear the alarm clock ringing as the show ends with them waking up.

Chino HS (SO) has a great show this year as well I love all the music they use and the show design. They are scoring pretty good as well this year I think they are gonna do well at WGI this year.

arcadia is a disappointment.

the design is so pedestrian that there were times when they struggled to steal focus from the gymnasium's exit sign. :rolleyes:

Edited by dugg

the design is so pedestrian that there were times when they struggled to steal focus from the gymnasium's exit sign. :laughing:

HAHA! I have to agree here, the design is such a disappointment this season. I think Arcadia may have trouble breaking the top 5. :tongue: But on the positive, maybe the face paint will mask the terror they always seem to have in their faces when they toss. :rolleyes:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

the design is so pedestrian that there were times when they struggled to steal focus from the gymnasium's exit sign. :thumbup:

Ouch he went there! Careful your opinion is subject to other more superior opinions of people who will be showing up soon.

Ouch he went there! Careful your opinion is subject to other more superior opinions of people who will be showing up soon.

Don't Worry. . .Arcadia isn't from Florida. . .so there will most likely be no public flogging. Though. . sometimes the truth hurts. . .Did Arcadia have a staff change?

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay