what are you listening to?

Lately, when not listening to the 2007 Alumni Spectacular in the car, I pop in either the 1968 World Open (Chicago Vanguard, Troopers, Royal Airs, Mighty St. Joe's), or the original cast recording of "Jersey Boys."

Hey John:

I don't remember St. Joes, or the Royal Airs being at the World Open in 68, neither were the Troopers

I was feeling nostalgic today so I was listening to "Romantic Warrior" By Chick Corea and Return to Forever

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Frank,

Maybe it's the '68 VFW Nationals. I may have labelled the copies wrong that a (mutual) friend made for me. In any event, it's '68. and it's those corps, so maybe it's a different show. All I know is the shows are great. What memories!

Hey John:

I don't remember St. Joes, or the Royal Airs being at the World Open in 68, neither were the Troopers

I was feeling nostalgic today so I was listening to "Romantic Warrior" By Chick Corea and Return to Forever

St. Joe's was 2nd at world open that year, and at VFW (1st in drums,2nd in horns,last in m&m,6th place)

In the last 2 days I've listened to, Buddahead, Best of Billy Codham, Steve Vai, Alice in Chains,66 Cavies , 67 Boston, 68 Des Plaines Vanguard, 68 Joe's, 68 Royal airs, &71 Joes ,71 Blue Rock, and 71 Santa Clara

Edited by zarblap

St. Joe's was 2nd at world open that year, and at VFW (1st in drums,2nd in horns,last in m&m,6th place)

In the last 2 days I've listened to, Buddahead, Best of Billy Codham, Steve Vai, Alice in Chains,66 Cavies , 67 Boston, 68 Des Plaines Vanguard, 68 Joe's, 68 Royal airs, &71 Joes ,71 Blue Rock, and 71 Santa Clara

Yes you are correct, St. Joes was there however placing 3rd (2nd in prelims), They finished 2nd in 1967. The Boston Crusaders finished 2nd to the Des Plaines Vanguard at the World Open in 1968. The reason I remember that so well is that we (St. Joseph Patron) were in between The Vanguard and Crusaders on retreat and there was a serious bit of unhappiness in the Boston camp which we heard all about. Blessed Sacrament was 4th and we were 5th just ahead of the 27th Lancers.

Edited by Fastone

Yes you are correct, St. Joes was there however placing 3rd (2nd in prelims), They finished 2nd in 1967. The Boston Crusaders finished 2nd to the Des Plaines Vanguard at the World Open in 1968. The reason I remember that so well is that we (St. Joseph Patron) were in between The Vanguard and Crusaders on retreat and there was a serious bit of unhappiness in the Boston camp which we heard all about. Blessed Sacrament was 4th and we were 5th just ahead of the 27th Lancers.

You guys were a cool corps to watch!!!

You guys were a cool corps to watch!!!

1968 was a very interesting and a transitional year for us as it turned out. Hard to imagine that it was 40 years ago

Dropkick Murphys The Warriors Code. An Irish punk/rock band.

Saw the movie The Departed and loved the Irish punk music in it.

:w00t: Dropkick Murphys rock

O and A :huh:

Call me weird but I've been on a really big Meat Loaf kick. I've been listening to Bat out of H E double hockey sticks for a couple of weeks now.

Call me weird but I've been on a really big Meat Loaf kick. I've been listening to Bat out of H E double hockey sticks for a couple of weeks now.

I had a revisit of Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain last week. It had been a while - had to dig the cd from the bowels of the car.

Gil Evans is an absolute master. And the percussion work on track 5 - Solata (?) - is incredible.