Mid-Atlantic Power Regional

Thanks Casey! We missed you and the Liverpools this weekend!

Hey Trish - sorry I missed you - we left early as we didn't even make finals (I'll resist my urges to insert my comments on the what I think of that!)

Congrats on the 2nd place!

See you in Dayton.

later,

Mike

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MICHAEL!!! I really wanted to see you!!!!

We all did....Phyllis was mumbling all weekend - something about 4 corners????

see ya in Dayton!

MICHAEL!!! I really wanted to see you!!!!

We all did....Phyllis was mumbling all weekend - something about 4 corners????

see ya in Dayton!

Hey...blame the judges :thumbup:

I'll see you in Dayton - we'll have to do a Brigs reunion night at headquarters!!!!!

Later,

Mike

OMG you know it :)

Hey...blame the judges :thumbup:

I'll see you in Dayton - we'll have to do a Brigs reunion night at headquarters!!!!!

Later,

Mike

...but I think Alter Ego is just one of those groups that has 'it' this year and won't be touched by anyone. . .the last time I saw this in IO was back in 1998 with the Patriots.. who went on to score a 99 at WGI Worlds.

I heard about Alter Ego coming under review for promotion and I'm happy that the committee allowed them to remain in IO. Just because a unit is having a good year doesn't always mean they need to be promoted. I totally agree with you; this is Alter Ego's year to shine and be remembered as one of the best IO guards. What they score in Dayton is irrelevant but I figure the 2nd place finisher will be several points behind.

I just rewatched Alter Ego's show and I still feel the same way. They aren't doing much during transitions from set to set. You have to put another element in there besides just jazz running pretty-like to your next spot. They don't really move around the floor that much, it feels like they stop-spin-go-stop-spin with the exception of the flag line in the beginning perhaps.

That being said, I don't think they'll be that far ahead of second place (if indeed they are first, you never know)

Have to agree with you MS! I've checked out AE from all three regionals they've attended (REPLAY) and had the pleasure to see them live in NJ. They're a great group with a show that's VERY well put together, nicely layered, extremely musical and thought prevoking.

However, if you actually look "inside" at what's being demanded of their very strong performers at an individual level, the show is simplistic at best. It's splattered with transitions where the performers do very little as they move from "moment" to "moment", the moments where the entire ensemble is contributing are few and far between (some nice flag some stuff at the end though) and the majority of their weapon moments are done planted in second position or if there's difficultly under the rifle/sabre, it's a soloist or duo only.

From another post on this site, I agree the 6 point spread between them and the rest of the pack in NJ was much too large. There are other guards that were in that regional and maybe others like Diamante and Black Gold that (when everyone is clean), will give AE a good run for the title in Dayton. Those groups have much more room to grow.

Edited by johnnyO

If they would have made the changes to the program for the Trumbull Regional that they are starting to make now (they didn't have a show this weekend), they would have been promoted. That would have been terrible for the organization - to being told they're not good enough for finals the last 2 years to being "too good".

And the point spreads indicate that - if they're winning by that much now adding more depth would have sealed the deal.

Let's just be happy for Alter Ego and wish all the rest of the Independent Open class luck these next few weeks! I am sure Saturday in Dayton is gonna be some contest to see!

If they would have made the changes to the program for the Trumbull Regional that they are starting to make now (they didn't have a show this weekend), they would have been promoted. That would have been terrible for the organization - to being told they're not good enough for finals the last 2 years to being "too good".

And the point spreads indicate that - if they're winning by that much now adding more depth would have sealed the deal.

Let's just be happy for Alter Ego and wish all the rest of the Independent Open class luck these next few weeks! I am sure Saturday in Dayton is gonna be some contest to see!

GET IT TRISH!!!!! :-)