What to bring for the summer? Give me some tips!

Hey, I'm going to be marching for the first time ever this summer! As exciting as that is, I'm freaked out on what to bring, how much to bring, and how to bring at all. Can anyone help me out and tell me what they brought for the summer? Or what is helpful to bring after years of mastering this life out of a suitcase?! haha.. I just really want some tips on what to pack, how to pack, etc. For instance... soap: liquid or bar... loufa <spelling?>, shower shoes?, how many shirts, shorts? bring nice clothes at all? etc. Anything will help! I'm waaaay excited. THANKS!

-Chris

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

less is more.

my first summer i brought tons of everything. i was prepared for anything and everything.

6 summers later i barely bring a duffle bag.

at 4 am when you're stumbling off the bus, you don't want a 50 pound bag to schlep.

this is what i usually bring

-clothes

2 pairs of rehearsal shorts

3 rehearsal shirts (button down 100% cotton shirts from goodwill do the trick)

2 clean shirts (for after shows/ free days)

a pair of clean shorts (same as above)

2 pairs of boxers for use with above clean shorts (so they stay clean!)

20 pairs of socks

2 pairs of show socks

2 show shirts

that's about it.

i mean you're with 149 other people. someone will have some of what ever you're looking for.

less is more.

my first summer i brought tons of everything. i was prepared for anything and everything.

6 summers later i barely bring a duffle bag.

at 4 am when you're stumbling off the bus, you don't want a 50 pound bag to schlep.

this is what i usually bring

-clothes

2 pairs of rehearsal shorts

3 rehearsal shirts (button down 100% cotton shirts from goodwill do the trick)

2 clean shirts (for after shows/ free days)

a pair of clean shorts (same as above)

2 pairs of boxers for use with above clean shorts (so they stay clean!)

20 pairs of socks

2 pairs of show socks

2 show shirts

that's about it.

i mean you're with 149 other people. someone will have some of what ever you're looking for.

transformmeeeeerrrrr

Oh, so you're "that guy" who I'm always letting "borrow stuff." :tongue:

There's been a million threads about this, every single year. While I agree with not having TOO much, having too little is a pain in the butt too.

Anyone mind digging up the old lists?

The one thing I've observed that's changed over the past few years, other than the addition of AeroBeds, is that marchers have all sorts of nets to hang above their bus seat and things that cling to the window to hold stuff in. The nets and holders contain stuff that generally makes the long bus trips more comfortable.

My question to recent or current marchers is: What do you put in these nets and holders for a more comfortable bus trip?

I understand blankets and bus pillows are always handy as well.

Hmmmm. I smell a Fanfare column. Anyone wish to contribute?

boomike@dci.org

The one thing I've observed that's changed over the past few years, other than the addition of AeroBeds, is that marchers have all sorts of nets to hang above their bus seat and things that cling to the window to hold stuff in. The nets and holders contain stuff that generally makes the long bus trips more comfortable.

My question to recent or current marchers is: What do you put in these nets and holders for a more comfortable bus trip?

I understand blankets and bus pillows are always handy as well.

Hmmmm. I smell a Fanfare column. Anyone wish to contribute?

boomike@dci.org

I made do with about a dozen shirts and 200 pairs of socks. Also, a dry pair of extra sneakers. The nets? You can keep your weed in there! (Joking, totally.. we would never have had that back in the day).

Invest in some quick dry travel underwear. They are pricey but you only need 2-3 pairs, and when you're in hot and humid places regular cotton clothes take forever to air dry (if you're washing on the go like many do). Quick dry shirts and shorts exist as well. Nylon running shorts can do the trick.

Don't forget a swimsuit - I used mine most on laundry days so I could wash every last bit of clothing.

I have heard "Fabreeze" is a popular item on tour.

I also found some laundry detergent (at Walmart) that is a liquid inside individual packets. One packet per wash. 20 packs fit nicely in a ziplock bag. There is no messy liquids or powders to deal with, and you don't have to pay $2 per mini-box of laundry detergent at the laundry mat.

I personally think cell-phones are a good idea as well. I know there are several threads on DCP re: Cell Phones....... There were no such things as cell phones when I marched, and now that my son marches, he takes his phone with him. He doesn't use it all day long, and it doesn't take away from his corps bonding either.

Rolls of quarters, are a great item too, for vending machines and for laundry day.

Someone said 2 pairs of tennis shoes, and I would agree, plus one pair of sandals or flip-flops.

Any medications you are taking, or sometimes take bring with you. Many Corps have "medicinal supplies" on their food trucks, but you may still want to have a small bottle of tylenol or advil for aches/pains/headaches/etc.