Weight Loss/Gain

Umm, the only time I'm ever picky is at breakfast. If I eat too much at breakfast, it usually comes up after the run. Most breakfasts I go with a small bowl of cereal and a banana, instead of the carby goodness.

I made it up at lunch tho, haha.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly weight loss just seems to come with activity, i marched with Surf last year and after the first tour since we do 2 mini tours i dropped 20 pounds, overall for the whole summer i lost 30 pounds and was in the best shape of my life, and i've only gained 5 pounds since then so i kept it off, this year im marching a top world class corp with what i think is the hardest/best work ethic, so lets see if i can actually shed 30 again, i highly doubt it cause im 5'11 and weight 190 im deff gonna drop atleast 10

And when i eat meals, i never go for seconds or the extra pb n j, just eat wat were given for lunch/dinner, breakfast i only eat a bowl of cerial and drink a half gallon of water to get me ready for the day

I ate a lot of PBJ - and lost 25 lbs or more every season. Wish I could do that now!

I lost weight my first year, in 2003, but I didnt lose any in 05 or 06, because apparently having narration in your show actually stops your weight loss, makes you fatter, uglier, and less likely to bear children....

You're welcome :ninja:

I generally lost weight on tour(estimated at about 5lbs to 25lbs). Always nice to visit a grocery store during tour and hop on that old fogey blood pressure machine to see that your standing heart rate is 55(or less). After walking about two miles to get to the store. And to come across some old tiny shorts you wore in Jr. High and have them fit. I had surgery a few years back, a cyst and they gave me some drug that makes most peoples hearts race, and my pulse just sat there like nothing happened.

I did however set a tour goal to gain weight in 1990. And I succeeded. Not really a good thing. I never lost that weight. Couldn't really upgrade the wardrobe on tour either. No access, no money. Losing weight is no problem. Tighten the belt, find creative uses for shoe strings, or just get or borrow a sewing kit. Gaining weight, you're just SOL. It was a lofty goal given that I was in a top 12 corps and played Euphonium. I had to go back for 3rd's to 7th's at every meal to accomplish it. As I wonder if that's why they're no longer a competitive field corps anymore?

As far as meals you didn't like. There was always PB&J. In 1989 when we got served tuna casserole at almost every meal, PB&J became a tour favorite.

I lost a bit every year. My first 4 years i'd start out around 160ish, drop to 145, then if worlds were in florida I'd lose another 10 that week. That 10 came back once I loaded up on water at home of course. My last year I stayed around 180 the whole time. There was some actual strength training involved in the off-season that year. 220 now for what it's worth. I can't belive I'm 85 lbs heavier than i was when i got home my rooke year...

As far as food goes, I ate everything and everything whenever possible. Peanut butter sandwich in the food line, everything they gave me at the truck, (with another sandwich) seconds, then a sandwich for dessert. (plus dessert if there was one) Four times a day.

In my opinion, the whole experience isn't set up to pack on lots of extra muscle. It's more about control, balance, and endurance than brute force.

Edited by John Schmitt

Ya, I actually heard somewhere that a lot of pit players end up having some weight problems by the end of the season. 4 meals a day of pretty fatty foods (which is good if you're working out a lot), and if you're in a corps that the pit does not work out, which I know not all do, then you have to watch out.

Actually, I'd never been so in shape as I was at the end of drum corps tour (as a marimbist). Granted, I'm not sure how much that's saying given that I'm not at all naturally athletic. I'm not fat, but not athletic.

Ok...I don't post on here too much but I've always wondered about this...

I'm 5'10ish, 130-140lbs (It varies...depending on how much food I've consumed lately). I can not seem to put on weight for the life of me. I rarely eat 3 meals a day though...mostly just alot of junk and fast foods. My goal is to gain weight this summer, preferably muscle (It'll be my first summer of corps). Do you guys think it's possible? And if so..how much?

Oh, and I'm not sure how much this matters but I'll be marching bass drum for the green team.

Edited by tizzizzailslf04