How would a Draft affect the activity?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT would be a long draft!!!! Wait, we're talking like the NFL draft right??? 150 picks for a corps. Do you go drum major first, contra player, first trumpet, where do you go? How long is the first year contract? Can you be traded in the middle of the season. Is there a trade deadline? Do you have a lottery for the corps who don't make Semifinals so they don't tank the last part of the year???

Drum corps survived the draft during the VietNam war.

In the event of a draft, I'm guessing the average age of the top corps might skew a bit younger.

Drum corps survived the draft during the VietNam war.

In the event of a draft, I'm guessing the average age of the top corps might skew a bit younger.

True. But it did force some corps to close their doors (ex. Chicago Royal Airs) or lose their competitive position (Kilties). And late 60's-early 70's (draft ended in 1972 IIRC) was when many corps extinctions occurred.

And yes, there were various reasons for 'deferments' (sp?) - that is part of the reason the draft went away. If it were to come back I believe it would need to be more universal or random - so you could not 'game' your way out.

I was all for a draft. I mean, not to slam, but pioneer could use the first pick. Get that big impact snare or maybe a trumpet depending on their needs for next season. I've heard there's a prospect coming out of Illinois who they have been already in contract negotiations with. But my other sources told me that the deal that Crown is offering, 4 guard girls, a 3rd round pick, and 10 custom marching heads, may be enough to get that first overall selection. Should be a great draft year and with next years draft looking weak, many corps will be looking to develop the young kids this year.

That's not what you meant is it? Darn. I've always thought I coulda been a first rounder. :thumbup:

you are a first rounder your just so good at timpani. you even have a facebook group fo your greatness. :winky:

True. But it did force some corps to close their doors (ex. Chicago Royal Airs) or lose their competitive position (Kilties). And late 60's-early 70's (draft ended in 1972 IIRC) was when many corps extinctions occurred.

And yes, there were various reasons for 'deferments' (sp?) - that is part of the reason the draft went away. If it were to come back I believe it would need to be more universal or random - so you could not 'game' your way out.

Kilties were still quite strong after the draft ended.

1972 - 6th place

1973 - 7th place

1974 - 6th place

1975 - 7th place

The stories I've heard of the demise of the Royal Airs were not related to the draft.

I don't know the full story there, but with membership skewing younger then than it does today, I've got to wonder.

Kilties were still quite strong after the draft ended.

1972 - 6th place

1973 - 7th place

1974 - 6th place

1975 - 7th place

The stories I've heard of the demise of the Royal Airs were not related to the draft.

I don't know the full story there, but with membership skewing younger then than it does today, I've got to wonder.

My professor was talking this morning about a draft, and he said he wasn't drafted for Vietnam because he was actively-enrolled in college. That's why I mentioned it here. I'm not sure if that still holds true for today though.

I'm pretty sure college students are no longer exempt from being drafted. I'll look it up now to make sure...

edit:

If a draft were held today there would be fewer reasons to excuse a man from service.

Before Congress reformed the draft in 1971, a man could qualify for a student deferment if he could show he was a full-time student making satisfactory progress in virtually any field of study. He could continue to go to school and be deferred from service until he was too old to be drafted. Under the new draft law, a college student could have his induction postponed only until the end of the current semester. A senior could be postponed until the end of the full academic year.

Edited by Jayzer

The draft certainly did affect drum corps in the 60's and into the 70's. By taking 19 year-olds, you not only lost that experienced individual, you also lost their leadership and guidance for the rookies and other younger members.

In my case, my random sequence number (the order of birthdates used) was 295 and I was full time in college. The year of my 19th birthday was 1973. We announced our pullout from Vietnam that year but it was another two years until everyone was out. That announcement virtually ended the draft.

Had I been in a lower sequence, and not going to school full-time, I would have enlisted in the Air Force before becoming a grunt.

Garry in Vegas

I sincerely doubt that there will be a draft. I read all the DOD press releases, and every one of the military services (Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines) have met or exceeded their recruiting goals for the past several quarters. Army - 102%, Navy - 100%, Air Force 100%, and Marines - 137% of goals as of Feb. '08.

When you have enough (or more than enough) people volunteering to join the services, there is no need to re-institute a draft.

These are just the opinions of a retired 22 year military veteran. Read them however you wish.

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama