Arizona Academy to go indoors

Mike, post #27 was awesome! :) Your posts seem to sum up everything though!

And why do we honestly have to worry about The Academy right now? Have they done anything to this point that has effected them? One way or another people always complain about them, no matter what they do.

and someone said "If you're trying to be Star then go be Star" I honestly don't think they are doing that, as some has said earlier they aren't about the whole competition thing that everybody seems to be about. They are about the music education. Who cares what they place this summer?! Obviously they don't so why the heck should we all worry about it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are, let us not forget, the arizona academy of the performing arts. under that umbrella organization, they have a winterguard, a local symphonic band, youth guards, guard clinics and consulting available, and summer leadership workshops. the drum corps is a facet of what they do. i absolutely second what michelle said. this helps them with THEIR mission in the long run - to bring music into the lives of their members and their community. it was never about scores with academy, just improving compared to yourself. not the numbers.

...Who cares what they place this summer?! Obviously they don't so why the heck should we all worry about it?

If they place lower than expected, some will criticize them for not placing higher and use this project as the rationale. But if they do place higher, some of those same people will complain they got a gift.

This sort of thing goes on every year with some corps or the other. It's just Academy's turn. The fact that people are talking about them means they've "arrived."

The logic is simple and undeniable. Every minute spent on the indoor show is a minute less spent learning/cleaning/perfecting their compettitive show. The comparison with BD is rediculous. I remember hearing stories of them on tour in the 80's where they would just sit around all day, warm up in the shade late afternoon, do a run through and go win the show that night. But that's BD folks. Will this impact Academy's final product? Yes, there is no way that it can't. We'll never know to what degree however, becuase you can't really measure potential. No one will ever know how much better their show could have been had they had the extra time to clean it. Wow did I just talk about a future event in the past tense? That was wierd.

Edited by BozzlyB

I'm sure The Academy will provide its members with an amazing experience this summer, whether through their competitive show on the field or through this indoor show. Corps go to Europe for some time during the summer and come back to compete. I don't believe this is too much different. Many on these forums gave The Academy a lot of crap last summer because they did a limited tour and did really well in their first year. Why don't we just let the organization do what it is planning to do (limited tour and an indoor show) and wish them the best.

Besides, this keeps them from spending all that time working on their competitive show. You'd think some would be happy about that.

Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

Ya, this is pretty confusing. I mean, this is a corps who is trying to become a force in this activity and are doing a pretty good job of it. Why in the world would they want to devote any time to anything else that could potentially detract from that? Unless I'm missing something, I believe they are a D&BC first! If they slip up this season, EVERYONE is gonna "armchair quarterback" them to death on this one. I hope they know what they're doing.

And any comparison to BD on this is premature. How many championships does BD have? I rest my case.

So...if the corps finishes 14th instead of 10th and attracts more members (and more local AZ members) in the process because they want the overall experience that Academy provides and a great local performance in a new venue in their home town, this is a bad thing?

Because that sounds awfully short sided to me. Competition drives DCI, but it doesn't have to be the sole driver for the corps.

I'm sure The Academy will provide its members with an amazing experience this summer, whether through their competitive show on the field or through this indoor show. Corps go to Europe for some time during the summer and come back to compete. I don't believe this is too much different. Many on these forums gave The Academy a lot of crap last summer because they did a limited tour and did really well in their first year. Why don't we just let the organization do what it is planning to do (limited tour and an indoor show) and wish them the best.

Besides, this keeps them from spending all that time working on their competitive show. You'd think some would be happy about that.

Not sure that I agree with you that their tour is limited this year.

Oh, make no mistake...I'm not questioning their motives...only the timing. If you lose the ground you've gained in the past couple of years, then how has it benefited you? If you want to go be Star, then by all means go be Star. But if you're gonna be a top 12 corps, then focus your efforts on that. I mean, talk about a pretty ambitious move for a corps who has yet to make finals!

If they slide back to 15th, this will be a colossal bone-headed move. If they do this and make finals, then they prove that they're for real.

You couldn't be more wrong. And Madison didn't attempt anything like this and they finished last year in???? So was last year a "colossal bonehead move" for them. I would argue no. The corps did what it took to avoid a 20th place finish....but with you placement is everything. This sounds like Academy is attempting to do something different for the benefit of their members. And you find a way to dis it. And then we heap the..."well, their attitude at such and such and blah blah blah.

Hey...here's an idea....focus YOUR attention on putting Madison BACK in finals instead of wasting energy dogging someone else's ideas.

That would be too easy though....right?

Not sure that I agree with you that their tour is limited this year.

I wasn't sure if they are or not. I thought someone mentioned that they are. Even if it's a regular touring schedule, I still stand by my post.

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by i_play_percussion