SO......what do you do?

I'm in transition at the moment. That could change after a big interview I have today at a major SF law firm.

Within the next 6 months I'm either going to be working as a librarian in the Bay Area, as some sort of corporate support staff OR as a cruise ship musician. It's hard to say how it will all play out right now, but with this recession we are in, I am leaning towards maxing out my earning potential and putting my music career in a holding pattern for the time being if I am able to land a high enough paying job.

For the time being I'm temping and picking up the occasional gig on trombone.

Edited by SaraNYC

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a music ed major at UofL in my (done in a month!) sophomore year, so that obviously takes up most of my time.

I clean kennels at a vets office about five miles from my house. It's nice getting to deal with the animals because most of the time they don't talk back. I also am a substitute lunch lady thanks to my mom, who is a kitchen manager at an elementary school. tasty combination here, eh? :tongue:

I am on visual staff with my alma mater's high school during the marching band season and I teach bagpipes there and at the middle school for a good part of the year. I get occasional gigs for bagpipes, though few and far between.

That's what I do. I'm still trying to figure out how, but it works.

I usually check out a person's website, if they list one. Wow, you're very pretty.

I work in printing and see a lot of PhotoShop stuff and do a lot myself. Nice job on the medal insertion in the pic on your blog. Very professional.(Have to admit, didn't have time to read the blog)

:tongue:

Thanks!

I'm somewhat embarassed to follow these music majors and executives. I am a licensed property and casualty insurance producer in the state of Pennsylvania. If there's one thing I know a lot about, it's insurance. I don't sell insurance but work in the underwriting and client service end.

Don't be emaraassed, it makes us look bad.

I actually declare three jobs. 2 for my life and 1 to fill all the financial holes the other two don't.

I am a licensed P&C insurance agent working at my family's agency. I am also the Asst. Band director in charge of marching programs at a local high school. (A real good position to hold in the financially stable state of California</sarcasm>) I am also a visual designer for marching bands and winteguards/drumlines.

OR as a cruise ship musician.

Sara, Have you done this gig before? I have just heard from a lot of buddies that it sounds great, but gets tedious being on board all the time. If you havent and do get the gig, good luck by the way, let us know your opinion of the gig. I have always wondered if it was just my friends that didn't like it.

I am currently working for a federal contractor located in Tysons Corner, VA. This particular company is mainly tied in with DISA (Defense Information Systems Administration), writing programs that, for all intents and purposes, help the armed services transport personnel and equipment around the world. I am a tech writer and software tester, which is pretty descriptive of my actual work.

Actually, I've only been at this job since New Years'. In my work life, I've been an engineer at Newport News Shipbuilding on nuclear aircraft carriers (USS Nimitz and USS George H.W. Bush) and at Westinghouse on 'outboard motors for nuclear submarines'. I've also been a math teacher at a community college and an all-math-and sciences tutor. I've also been a reviewer (think 'auditor') on contract with the Federal Transit Administration.

Speaking of work, I must get back to it.

Corporate pilot flying a gulfstream IV but still play my Trumpet which I hold a performance degree from Ithaca College.

Dave Keck

Grey Ghost 1976 - 1977

Syracuse 76'ers 1978

Avant Garde 1979,1983-1985

Verona Eagles 1980-1982

27th Lancers 1986,1994

Syracuse Brigadiers 1991-1993,1995-2005

Rochester Crusaders 1994

This is an interesting thread... thanks for starting, Frank. :tongue:

I'm the owner of Blackwood Motion Graphics and Video, Inc.. My primary work includes writing and producing educational DVD, Video, and CD-ROM titles targeted for K-12, and first year college. My specialties are 3D animation and illustration, interactive Flash interface, and video special effects. Clients include Films For The Humanities & Sciences, Cambridge Educational, Shopware U.S.A. and several colleges and technical schools. I also compose and perform music for video/computer game companies.

Sara, Have you done this gig before? I have just heard from a lot of buddies that it sounds great, but gets tedious being on board all the time. If you havent and do get the gig, good luck by the way, let us know your opinion of the gig. I have always wondered if it was just my friends that didn't like it.

I have not, but I have a friend from music school that is a music director for a major cruise line. He is willing to help me out with a personal reference if I want to check it out, but I am concerned about the tedious factor and the stability. Plus it's not all that much money. I can make twice what I would make on a boat in the corporate world, get additional benefits and still be able to hopefully pick up a gig at Yoshi's from time to time with some other music school buddies who are tearing it up out here in the jazz scene.

I'm a recovering attorney. :tongue:

Currently, I'm Assistant Vice President & Trust Officer, Merrill Lynch Trust Company

--I practiced law in Reading for about 5-1/2 years, concentrating in estate planning, tax planning and non-profit organizations.

--Then, for a couple years, I was a planned giving fundraiser for a great non-profit organization in Reading.

--Now I have a chance to put both together! For the past 18 months I've been at Merrill Lynch managing trust accounts -- for nonprofit organizations.

When I'm not doing that I'm involved with the Buccaneers, which I'd do full-time if I could. The pay's not the greatest (financially, of course. In terms of joy I'm a wealthy man!).

Edited by TomMoore