Cadets Camp Video - Part 2!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet I and many others still prefer the sound of a G hornline, rendering your point irrelevant.

i hate to get into this, but my point wasn't probative as to "which one sounds better." it was pointed at somebody making a smart remark that horns in g were "things" as opposed to "instruments." this is a proposition that i agree with. they were terrible to play, easy to overblow, heavy, and frankly inferior in all possible respects from a performer's standpoint.

the best contrabass bugle ever made, in my opinion, was the kanstul contra grande, and that still played like a Bb tuba with a t-shirt shoved down the bell.

i hate to get into this, but my point wasn't probative as to "which one sounds better." it was pointed at somebody making a smart remark that horns in g were "things" as opposed to "instruments." this is a proposition that i agree with. they were terrible to play, easy to overblow, heavy, and frankly inferior in all possible respects from a performer's standpoint.

the best contrabass bugle ever made, in my opinion, was the kanstul contra grande, and that still played like a Bb tuba with a t-shirt shoved down the bell.

Ah, I see now.

no, they weren't bugles because they had valves.

bugle = no valved instrument, valveless if you will.

Very astute...but you know that wasn't the point he was trying to make right? It seems to me like the man is sharing an opinion after being asked what he thought. Valves or not, one horn is in G the other in B flat. Each one has advantages and disadvantages...but i like neither as I am opting we go to an all woodwind corps just to make everyone happy with what we got. *sarcasm for all you crazy kids out there!*

cw

A multitude of reasons, really. They were bugles, meaning drum and bugle corps was actually an appropriate term. Also, the drum corps instrumentation used to be unique to the activity, as in no other activity used those instruments. But most importantly, the G bugles sound entirely different from the current brass instruments, and I happen to prefer one over the other. To me, the sound is fuller, lusher, more beautiful, and at necessary times more powerful. I prefer the sound of a soprano bugle to a trumpet and, especially, a G mellophone to an F mellophone in a drum corps setting. I don't particularly care for the sound of the F mellophone, but I absolutely love the sound of the G mellophone. It's like night and day to my ears. And in my own personal experience they seem to project better in an outdoor environment. It's just a personal preference of one instrumentation over the other. There are many, many other reasons, but I think you get the gist of it. :grouphug:

Hmm...

You just listed just about every reason why I like B-flats over G's. To each is own I guess.

I do agree about the mellophones though. I played both soprano bugles and G mellophones in drum corps as well as trumpets and F mellos in marching band. I liked trumpets much better than soprano bugles, but I hated F mellos. The G mellos just felt better to me. It felt like I was playing a cornet instead of playing a french horn. I dunno, that was just my opinion I guess....

For The Win...

Oh, and the King 2 Valve G was the best bugle mello ever.

It is my belief that the actual english word for bugle is defined by a horn with no valves, and drum and bugle corps took an adaptation on the bugle to add valves, but still called it a bugle.... even though it technically wasn't.. but they wanted to keep the name drum and bugle corps.

It is my belief that the actual english word for bugle is defined by a horn with no valves, and drum and bugle corps took an adaptation on the bugle to add valves, but still called it a bugle.... even though it technically wasn't.. but they wanted to keep the name drum and bugle corps.

Nope.