Most difficult trumpet feature

As I have been told they actually didn't play each others horns in 2000. It was a lot of smoke and mirrors from what I understand.

They were blowing their own horns and switching their hands from horn to horn. Those who were playing were really doing it. How else could it have been done? Were we hearing a recording of trumpets?

How could that possibly have been faked? Please enlighten me.

Edited by ekleve

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was indeed staggered in the way I think it was (both having been there live and hearing it on my recordings), it's not really that complex. When the front line was doing the thing where they appeared to be fingering the others' horns for the lick, it was actually the back line playing the lick. When the back line was doing the thing where they appeared to be fingering each others' horns for the lick, it was actually the front line playing the lick. Switch that back and forth rapidly in the middle of 16th note licks, and you have a cool effect.

I guess that makes sense, but that would mean a Cadets member who was in the show lied to my face about it, a few years after the fact... so I'll still choose to believe it's real.

If it was indeed staggered in the way I think it was (both having been there live and hearing it on my recordings), it's not really that complex. When the front line was doing the thing where they appeared to be fingering the others' horns for the lick, it was actually the back line playing the lick. When the back line was doing the thing where they appeared to be fingering each others' horns for the lick, it was actually the front line playing the lick. Switch that back and forth rapidly in the middle of 16th note licks, and you have a cool effect.
I guess that makes sense, but that would mean a Cadets member who was in the show lied to my face about it, a few years after the fact... so I'll still choose to believe it's real.

I think you two are both right. The baritones in the back that are in one line are definitely playing on each others horns. No doubt about it. No way to stagger.

Now the trumpets in the 2 lines the first times through the lick play them at the same time. Then you can see the back line switch back to their own trumpets and play the lick and thats where the staggering starts... where the ostanato keeps going without the long note.

And here I was all this time thinking that the reason they spent 15 minutes at the start of practice everyday working on that technique the entire summer was so they could actually use it in the show... :thumbdown:

Really?!? do provide some evidence to this statement. seems to be a little bit of a hyperbole.

Cadets 2001. not just the trumpets, but best hornline I've ever heard.

I am considering compiling a multimedia document that provides evidence to support my claim, but it will take a few days to compile. There are obvious exceptions, though: the Cadets seem to increase the complexity and depth of their musical book year after year to this day.

Also, I've spoken to numerous sources who marched in the Cadets in 2000 who confirmed that there was no trickery in that hornline feature, and I have no reason to doubt them. Can someone who marched that year confirm if Lance's claim of staggering is true?

Also, I've spoken to numerous sources who marched in the Cadets in 2000 who confirmed that there was no trickery in that hornline feature, and I have no reason to doubt them. Can someone who marched that year confirm if Lance's claim of staggering is true?

I just watched it again, and saw nothing to make me think otherwise... If anything, they passed the phrase back and forth every beat or two to allow for some breathing time, but within that, they certainly seem to playing eachother's horns. Its not that unbelievable- ive done it before for fun....just takes practice like anything else. Ohh, and 2000Cadet would probably be a good person to answer your question :thumbdown: