SUNRISERS ANNOUNCEMENT!

I was *just* told that Sun had folded, so i'm glad to see you're just going inactive.

Good luck, and come back strong in 2009. :thumbdown:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you think of the Sunrisers (or Cabs, Sky, Bucs, etc.), you think of Class A championships. Corps of their history and caliber are not meant to spend years toiling in Class A or the lower echelon of Open Class. This of course is not meant to denigrate any other organization, but these are the Sunrisers! I'm sure it was a tough decision and a decision that required a great deal of courage, not to mention the ability to set aside any personal motives, for the sake of the organization and the respect for what the Sunrisers represented and what hopefully they will again someday represent. This being said, it is of course very difficult for an organiztion to come back from "inactive" status, especially in this day and age. But if things do not work out as planned, the corps can leave with their heads held high and great memories that will live on.

Sun, sorry to hear that you had to go inactive this year. However, looking through the years past, I agrre with the other posts on here, the Sun shall rise again! I truly hope so and wish you all the best of luck! Here's to seeing you in 2009!

Scott

Best of luck Sun, sometimes we all need to step back and rethink things.

Come back strong!

This is sad news. Best of luck in 2009.

When you think of the Sunrisers (or Cabs, Sky, Bucs, etc.), you think of Class A championships. Corps of their history and caliber are not meant to spend years toiling in Class A or the lower echelon of Open Class. This of course is not meant to denigrate any other organization, but these are the Sunrisers! I'm sure it was a tough decision and a decision that required a great deal of courage, not to mention the ability to set aside any personal motives, for the sake of the organization and the respect for what the Sunrisers represented and what hopefully they will again someday represent. This being said, it is of course very difficult for an organiztion to come back from "inactive" status, especially in this day and age. But if things do not work out as planned, the corps can leave with their heads held high and great memories that will live on.

Glad someone said this, cause I wasn't quite sure how to.

There are some real first-class outfits in Class A, and Sun only added to that last year. But, it's my guess that this great organization has much more lofty goals, and would never be satisfied with anything less than contending, once again, for the world title.

Something about this group has made them unique and special, throughout their long history.

Here's hoping that it rises again... and soon!

Edited by brassomaniac

I wish I could adequately express how awesome it is to hear such words of support from people in the corps community.

Thanks to all.

Jim Dyckman's press release at the top says it all, but if I could offer one last bit of embellishment based on hearing how the rumors have been circulating:

When the focus is close up - down on the level of one single competitive season span of time - it's tempting for some on the outside to use words with more serious tone to describe our situation (i.e "inactive", "folded", whatever) when in reality we're just not competing in 08. But after all, Drum Corps is what we do, and if you're standing on the retreat field this summer looking across the field (or, for that matter, in the stands looking out at the corps) and you don't see Sun standing there the first thing that comes into your mind is most certainly NOT going to be "I'm so glad they're 'retooling for the future!'". If anything you'll probably just think about how you wish there were more corps there.

But our focus is not close-up. We're looking at this long term. The bigger picture requires us to make bigger decisions and changes than normal.

Think of it as a NASCAR race. We've taken a pit stop that we would have been forced to take at some point in the future given the long term goals we set at the start of 2007. The best time for this is now.

We're excited about the prospects for the future. We're disappointed that we can't be there with you guys this year but we're also excited for what's in store.

Dave Franceschina

Sun Management

I wish I could adequately express how awesome it is to hear such words of support from people in the corps community.

Thanks to all.

Jim Dyckman's press release at the top says it all, but if I could offer one last bit of embellishment based on hearing how the rumors have been circulating:

When the focus is close up - down on the level of one single competitive season span of time - it's tempting for some on the outside to use words with more serious tone to describe our situation (i.e "inactive", "folded", whatever) when in reality we're just not competing in 08. But after all, Drum Corps is what we do, and if you're standing on the retreat field this summer looking across the field (or, for that matter, in the stands looking out at the corps) and you don't see Sun standing there the first thing that comes into your mind is most certainly NOT going to be "I'm so glad they're 'retooling for the future!'". If anything you'll probably just think about how you wish there were more corps there.

But our focus is not close-up. We're looking at this long term. The bigger picture requires us to make bigger decisions and changes than normal.

Think of it as a NASCAR race. We've taken a pit stop that we would have been forced to take at some point in the future given the long term goals we set at the start of 2007. The best time for this is now.

We're excited about the prospects for the future. We're disappointed that we can't be there with you guys this year but we're also excited for what's in store.

Dave Franceschina

Sun Management

Thank you Dave.... :grouphug:

And thanks to everyone for posting their support...

Edited by TennTux

I was *just* told that Sun had folded, so i'm glad to see you're just going inactive.

Good luck, and come back strong in 2009. :tongue:

Who gave you that misinformation Terri? You could have just asked me and I would have told you what was going on.