From 2000: The Strategy to Save Drum Corps.

The talk has moved to action in Oct. 2007 when the Small Drum corps association was started. Check the web www.theSDCA.org There are 39 corps that showed an interest of which 26 will be performing in 2009. We need all the help we can get. Contact us.

Good Luck. We will wait and see how this pans out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. DCA as an organization has not yet moved in the direction of offering a "junior" league.

That might be because they do not need to.

At the PRESENT time. DCA Has NO age requirements. People from 0 till death are allowed to join a DCA group. Not a single person "must" be over 18 or 21 or what everage you may think.

If, lets say just for talking reasons. Jersy Surf wanted to join as they are at this very day. They can. All they have to do is submit the proper forms, be evaluated (go by DCA rules for equipment ETC), pay the entrance fees and dues. Go to Rochester this year. Thats it done!

There are groups Right Now that have less than 4 or 5 people over 21 in them NOW. Some of the top 10 less than 10 or so.

1. DCA as an organization has not yet moved in the direction of offering a "junior" league.

At the PRESENT time. DCA Has NO age requirements. People from 0 till death are allowed to join a DCA group. Not a single person "must" be over 18 or 21 or what everage you may think.

If, lets say just for talking reasons. Jersy Surf wanted to join as they are at this very day. They can. All they have to do is submit the proper forms, be evaluated (go by DCA rules for equipment ETC), pay the entrance fees and dues. Go to Rochester this year. Thats it done!

There are groups Right Now that have less than 4 or 5 people over 21 in them NOW. Some of the top 10 less than 10 or so.

This really becomes all moot, as not a single currently active junior corps has ever dumped their current circuit (DCI) for another one. I take that as a testament to DCI serving these corps (at least well enough) so they see the validity in staying with DCI for now.

If I recall (and I may be wrong), there is actually a lower age limit, inasmuch no one under the age of, or, 12 years old. I believe that was just clarified a season or two ago by DCA.

Edited by bill

If I recall (and I may be wrong), there is actually a lower age limit, inasmuch no one under the age of, or, 12 years old. I believe that was just clarified a season or two ago by DCA.

to: Bill;

I wrote to DCA a year or so ago, and that is what I was told. I don't know maybe something has changed but that info was from DCA Official.

to T Brace;

Thats fine. Hope all goes well for them (DCI).

I do know that if all goes well. There will be 3 Returning groups to DCA;

Kingston Grenadiers of Ontario, Canada

Shenandoah Sound of Virginia

Carolina Gold of North Carolina

Then 5, YES " FIVE" New groups:

Sun Devils of Florida

Derby City Knights of Kentucky

Excelsior of Albany,NY/Pittsfield,MA (area)

Austin Stars of Texas

Ciccinnati Tradition of Ohio

Will be added. If all the good reports pan out.

(with the 2 that are taking this year off NY Skyliners and Sunrisers. That is still a net GAIN of 6. I do not see that with DCI.)

So if they only get 1/2 those listed above they will STILL be more than the year before.

Then waiting in the wings for 2009/'10

Prairie Sound of Kansas

High Country Brass of Colorado

Masquarade of Louisiana

North Coast of Ohio

Imperials of Pembroke, MASS.

Crosswinds of Oklahoma

maybe Kingsmen in California (or someone else)

Surely you see a difference in Growth between DCA and the shinking of DCI!

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

to: Bill;

I wrote to DCA a year or so ago, and that is what I was told. I don't know maybe something has changed but that info was from DCA Official.

to T Brace;

Thats fine. Hope all goes well for them (DCI).

I do know that if all goes well. There will be 3 Returning groups to DCA;

Kingston Grenadiers of Ontario, Canada

Shenandoah Sound of Virginia

Carolina Gold of North Carolina

Then 5, YES " FIVE" New groups:

Sun Devils of Florida

Derby City Knights of Kentucky

Excelsior of Albany,NY/Pittsfield,MA (area)

Austin Stars of Texas

Ciccinnati Tradition of Ohio

Will be added. If all the good reports pan out.

(with the 2 that are taking this year off NY Skyliners and Sunrisers. That is still a net GAIN of 6. I do not see that with DCI.)

So if they only get 1/2 those listed above they will STILL be more than the year before.

Then waiting in the wings for 2009/'10

Prairie Sound of Kansas

High Country Brass of Colorado

Masquarade of Louisiana

North Coast of Ohio

Imperials of Pembroke, MASS.

Crosswinds of Oklahoma

maybe Kingsmen in California (or someone else)

Surely you see a difference in Growth between DCA and the shinking of DCI!

why all the gloating....there really is no need. take it to the DCA thread where it belongs. DCI is fine by me. I don't come running to your thread bragging about how much better a DCI show is than a DCA show...but it is...better I mean...it really is.

by the way 2/3s of the 09/2010 corps never listed above, never see championships in New York. betcha.

why all the gloating....there really is no need. take it to the DCA thread where it belongs. DCI is fine by me. I don't come running to your thread bragging about how much better a DCI show is than a DCA show...but it is...better I mean...it really is.

by the way 2/3s of the 09/2010 corps never listed above, never see championships in New York. betcha.

Mr Brace;

I did not bring DCA into this conversation. I also did not say anything that was bad about DCI. DCI groups are nothing but the Highest Quality of Excellance in their field. I just stated facts as they seem to be about Growth and Decline of membership of BOTH groups. As too who joins which Organization. That is Entirely up to Each Indivdual Unit!

Good Luck To ALL.

(as to your NahNah, Nah Nah nah. about mine "is better" than yours. How Childish. OR. Who will be attending the DCA World Championships. Well 2 already come from CALIFORNIA, 2 come from TEXAS, 2 from MINNESOTA. 2 from GEORGIA.

Now, Florida and Canada will return.

So groups ARE traveling to "Championship Weekend". And. To be honest. Rochester is fine. But, I do hope it does move some other places. When DCA gets a Better Bid for the Championships it will move.)

Tommy

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I honestly don't see that happening unless DCI were to fold as a whole.

What you're proposing sounds great to the all the people who marched in the 70's and before, but how do you think the current marching youth would view it as?

DCI is the standard in which todays youth views this activity.

I think you'd have an extremely hard time finding enough participants to field a whole circuit.

There are different levels of youth at the musician level in different parts of the country.If some youth are familier with drum corps than your statement can hold true,but there are alot of youth that arent that familier with drum corps ate the DCI top 12 level or even DCA top 10,so there is a market for youth,with talent at different levels to present an idea of a type of drum corps.Drum corps life and performing is what you make of it at any level,I'm not knocking DCI,but DCI and DCA are not the only examples of what drum corps is or can be,there's a larger picture.....Just a thought is all....

Thank goodness for DCI, DCA, SDCA, and all the other incarnations out there. The more, the merrier! Any growth in this activity, regardless of the parent organization, is good for all. :thumbup:

Agreed, to rip off Red Green "We'll all in this together". And we = Junior, All Age, Minis, Alumni-types, (possibly in the future) SDCA groups, etc, etc....

And to go with drumz5150 post, there are also some Alumni type corps that will take in young people with no DC experience.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari