Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles - Brooklyn, NY

Judy is the Guard Caption Head with Prairie Sound and, as of last week, her and I are writing the drill as well. Kris is playing mellophone with Blue Stars again (just got home from camp and already has a really great tan), and Katie is getting ready to leave for school. She'll be marching in the University of Kansas marching band this fall.

Hope Laurel and the family are well.

Dave

Wow! Very busy family. The best success with Prairie Sound. Say hello to all the family.

By the way, your pic brought back memories as huge as those cymbals you hold. :guinesssmilie:

SB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine from the old Skokie (Illinois) Vanguard is trying to track down several individuals from this organization. Anyone out there from this Corps that can post any info as to who is still around, what eveyrone is doing these days, etc.??? Thanks!!

Rich, my name is Joe Calafiore. and I just registered last night. I was a snare drummer with the Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles in Brooklyn from beginning to end. 98% of the members are still alive. Some of the members still play today. The our FH soloist Steve Buglino is now playing with the Park City Pride Alumni; Tommy Shields a great soprano is playing with the Cabs Alumni; and Pat Savarese is in Color Guard with the Park City Pride Alumni; a few others are with the Brooklyn Alumni that played at the Brooklyn Bridge a few months ago. We are havin a second reunion after 45+ years, honoring our committee people and our instructors (who all came from the Skyliners) at the Saddlebrook Marriotte in conjuction with the 2008 Drum Corps "Grand Prix" show at the Clifton HS Stadium on July 12th. There will prbably be about 50 of there at the show...look for the big "Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles" Banner.

As for Ryan Breslin, our old Drum Major, Carolyn Ball at the time, when she moved to Chicago, was in the Vanguard for few years.

As for Fran Haring, I lived diagonally across from the from Floyd Bennett Post #1060 going west toward Ave "M". Actually my sister still lives there. I'll see her on or about July 14. Sounds like you are in the Sunrisers??

For any info on the Golden Eagles or its members, just give me a shout. Maybe we will all see each other at the show on July 12th. Again, Look for the be blue & white banner. Keep stepping to the beat, Joe C.

Its so cool to see something like this, I live directly accross from the Floyd Bennet American Legion post, i wish there was a corps that i could just walk accross the street to get to haha, I dont know if the people your looking for still live in brooklyn but i know there is an old timers/veterans band that rehearses on thursday nights, anyway good luck with your search

Sorry Ryan, I thought Fran Haring lived across from the Floyd Bennett Post but I guess it is you. She is right it was a real long time ago, it was 46 years ago. Yes we practiced our #%$es off in those buildings and did drill at the Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station between the hangars until we could not only do the drill in our sleep but also on our hands. Those were great happy days even with the hard work. We were really doing great as a junior corps, but like many other corps, finances put a good thing to a bad end. After breakup some fellows went to manly the Sunrisers, a I think a couple to the Cabs and Skyliners. Others of us had to go in the service and some of us played in the service corps like Navy, Marine and Air Force drum corps.

Brian O'Connell lives in Queens; Pat (Skip) Heaney lives on L.I. Paul Calcagno lives in Florida along with Carolyn Ball-DM, Ginny Sullivan, Theresa Passante, John McGlynn, Bob & Bill Wentzell, myself and my brother Jim Calafiore; Steve Buglino the FH Soloist, and Tommy Shields are on L.I. Yes it was real convenient for me and a few others who lived only houses away from the Post. Maybe we will see you at the July 12th Clifton, NJ show. You too Fran.

Edited by Joe Calafiore

Rich, my name is Joe Calafiore. and I just registered last night. I was a snare drummer with the Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles in Brooklyn from beginning to end. 98% of the members are still alive. Some of the members still play today. The our FH soloist Steve Buglino is now playing with the Park City Pride Alumni; Tommy Shields a great soprano is playing with the Cabs Alumni; and Pat Savarese is in Color Guard with the Park City Pride Alumni; a few others are with the Brooklyn Alumni that played at the Brooklyn Bridge a few months ago. We are havin a second reunion after 45+ years, honoring our committee people and our instructors (who all came from the Skyliners) at the Saddlebrook Marriotte in conjuction with the 2008 Drum Corps "Grand Prix" show at the Clifton HS Stadium on July 12th. There will prbably be about 50 of there at the show...look for the big "Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles" Banner.

As for Ryan Breslin, our old Drum Major, Carolyn Ball at the time, when she moved to Chicago, was in the Vanguard for few years.

As for Fran Haring, I lived diagonally across from the from Floyd Bennett Post #1060 going west toward Ave "M". Actually my sister still lives there. I'll see her on or about July 14. Sounds like you are in the Sunrisers??

For any info on the Golden Eagles or its members, just give me a shout. Maybe we will all see each other at the show on July 12th. Again, Look for the be blue & white banner. Keep stepping to the beat, Joe C.

Joe, you can count on it!!!! I'll be there in Clifton blastin' away with my Sombrero buddies!!! Thanks for this response!! We'll be in touch (Mikey and me!)!! :thumbup::ninja:

As for Fran Haring..... Sounds like you are in the Sunrisers??

I was.... 1977 through 1982. Fond memories of the Floyd Bennett Post! (I lived in NJ, though, not near the post)

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I was.... 1977 through 1982. Fond memories of the Floyd Bennett Post! (I lived in NJ, though, not near the post)

Fran

Fran:

I see you posting alot here on DCP. I hope to meet you there in Clifton as well, in July.

And as a side note, I'm really sad to hear that our Ben-Hur "buddy" passed away. :tongue: