Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles - Brooklyn, NY

A friend of mine from the old Skokie (Illinois) Vanguard is trying to track down several individuals from this organization. Anyone out there from this Corps that can post any info as to who is still around, what eveyrone is doing these days, etc.??? Thanks!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine from the old Skokie (Illinois) Vanguard is trying to track down several individuals from this organization. Anyone out there from this Corps that can post any info as to who is still around, what eveyrone is doing these days, etc.??? Thanks!!

Hey Rich,

The Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni just happens to have one of their old members in the lead soprano line....

Talk to Tommy Shields......I believe he marched in Floyd Bennett back in the 60's...

See you Sunday at rehearsal!!!

Its so cool to see something like this, I live directly accross from the Floyd Bennet American Legion post, i wish there was a corps that i could just walk accross the street to get to haha, I dont know if the people your looking for still live in brooklyn but i know there is an old timers/veterans band that rehearses on thursday nights, anyway good luck with your search

Its so cool to see something like this, I live directly accross from the Floyd Bennet American Legion post, i wish there was a corps that i could just walk accross the street to get to haha,

Ryan, if you were a bit older (OK.... a lot older....LOL), you could have dropped in on a Sunrisers rehearsal at that post, circa mid-1970's, through 1978.

Then there were the music/drill rehearsals at the hangars at Floyd Bennett Field. It was ALWAYS cold there, even in the spring months. We'd leave NJ for rehearsal at the hangars on a mild day in April or May, carrying our winter coats, gloves, hats, etc. Our neighbors would give us that "WTF???" look. :sad:

Fran

Ryan, if you were a bit older (OK.... a lot older....LOL), you could have dropped in on a Sunrisers rehearsal at that post, circa mid-1970's, through 1978.

Then there were the music/drill rehearsals at the hangars at Floyd Bennett Field. It was ALWAYS cold there, even in the spring months. We'd leave NJ for rehearsal at the hangars on a mild day in April or May, carrying our winter coats, gloves, hats, etc. Our neighbors would give us that "WTF???" look. :sad:

Fran

Yea my family tells me about the good old days rehearsing in Floyd Bennet Feild, i guess im a couple a decades to late lol. Dont know if you been to Brooklyn recently but in Floyd Bennet Feild there is a place called Avaitor, they put rock climbing, basketball courts, hockey rinks in a set of hangers, and also have a couple of nice turf football feilds :sad:

Look for Floyd-Bennett french horn soloist Steve Buglino this year at Harrisburg. He'll be playing mellophone with the Park City Pride.

Brian O'Connell lives on LI.

Paul Calcagno lived in MN for some time and played lead with Minnesota Brass in the '70s and 80's.

I marched with all these guys in the Sunrisers in the late '60s.

One of the names my buddy mentioned was an Al Dubellois (spelling?)? The other was an Arlene Cronin. Any of "youss guyss" heard of 'em or know their whereabouts??

Look for Floyd-Bennett french horn soloist Steve Buglino this year at Harrisburg. He'll be playing mellophone with the Park City Pride.

Brian O'Connell lives on LI.

Paul Calcagno lived in MN for some time and played lead with Minnesota Brass in the '70s and 80's.

I marched with all these guys in the Sunrisers in the late '60s.

Did Gene Bennett march Floyd-Bennett too? He's still teaching marching band on L.I.

Did Gene Bennett march Floyd-Bennett too? He's still teaching marching band on L.I.

I know Gene was with the Carver Gay Blades before joining Sunrisers, but I don't know whether he was with Floyd Bennett.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

He was a French horn God back in the day!!!! :ph34r::innocent::innocent:

Fran