Methods of Madness

Ok I'll chime in again. I agree with this. That stuff is fine. People just simply not trying and slacking off is not what I was really talking about anyway. My problem was with instructors whose method of teaching was to basically call ticks and then assign push-ups/laps without ever really giving any info on how to actually fix the musical problem. That's just not teaching, and it always seemed to me that it only served to amplify the problem and just get everyone ###### off in the process.

Ok... :ph34r:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donnie Van Doren or Bobby Knight (sorry...I spent A LOT of years in Bloomington)...I've met both of them...I get where Whitedawn's coming from...and you cant deny that those two dont get results with their methods.

Wow ... nice triple negative !!!!

I'm pretty sure you ended up saying the opposite of what you meant to say, but hey, who am I not to say what you can't not try to not say and not claim that it didn't not mean what you didn't think it didn't not mean. :ph34r:

Wow ... nice triple negative !!!!

I'm pretty sure you ended up saying the opposite of what you meant to say, but hey, who am I not to say what you can't not try to not say and not claim that it didn't not mean what you didn't think it didn't not mean. :ph34r:

A triple negative would actually imply what you were originally stating. A double negative would in fact negate the original intent. I've read it three times and it looks like a double to me.

Donnie Van Doren or Bobby Knight (sorry...I spent A LOT of years in Bloomington)...I've met both of them...I get where Whitedawn's coming from...and you cant deny that those two dont get results with their methods.

DVD came and "consulted" our hornline in 99. Holy crap.... by the end of those few days we only referred to him by his proper given name..."Lord Vader". Seriously :ph34r:

...and you cant deny that those two dont get results with their methods.

Three negative words: (can)NOT / deny / (do)NOT ; however, only two negate meaning.

Let's just remove two "NOT"s which cancel each other out (don't get all Lewis Carroll on me) and re-read. It turns out

... you can deny that those two do get results with their methods.

Anyway, run a lap doing pushups before I throw a chair and choke you.

A triple negative would actually imply what you were originally stating. A double negative would in fact negate the original intent. I've read it three times and it looks like a double to me.

As noted by drumkid above -- the word "deny" is the third negative.

Either a triple or double negative could negate or reinforce your intent -- it depends on if you used them accidentally or purposely. (i.e., if my intent was to present a "negative" statement, then I would want an odd number of negatives; if my intent was for a "positive" statement, then I would want an even number of negatives or none).

In this case, the triple negative in effect says (as drumkid accurately notes) "You can deny that those two get results..." (meaning that it is debatable whether they got results) which I'm guessing was the opposite of the poster's intent. I THINK he was trying to say "You CAN'T deny that those two get results ...." (meaning that they definitely and obviously did get results).

(If I misinterpreted the poster's intent, then I stand corrected. Regardless, still found the triple negative humorous!!! :ph34r:)

Edited by Liam

"You can't deny bla bla" is reasonable English, but it's a double negative too?

OT: We had someone filling in for our caption head while we were in Texas, and of course it's hot as hell. We were in sectionals and he lets us come off for water, and right as I get there, he screams "NO, GO BACK, the tubas were playing around during the water break." He would let us try again after the next, but I'm freaking out in my head that this guy is insane and trying to kill us!

"You can't deny bla bla" is reasonable English, but it's a double negative too?

True -- I never said that the use of a double (or even triple!!) negative can't be reasonable and proper English. (See, there's a perfectly acceptable double-negative in that sentence!!!)

All I was saying was that IN THIS CASE, it appears that the poster negated his own intent by using one too many negatives, that's all :tongue:

Edited by Liam

Wow, you guys are nerds and way off topic. haha

Wow, you guys are nerds and way off topic. haha

Actually, the only reason my grammar is so good is because whenever I made a grammatical error in school, I was forced to do push-ups!!!

There ... back on topic ... :tongue:

Edited by Liam