Methods of Madness

the most motivating thing i ever experienced is when the corps got kicked off the field.

about ten minutes into ensemble -- on a show day -- the director pulled us into a group in the middle of the field and said "it is clear that you don't want to be here right now. lets stop wasting time and just cancel the rest of rehearsal."

we were ####### awesome that night.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But some days in the middle of tour, even I'll admit that I need a kick in the ### to get things going.

Each corps has different maturity levels and not everyone can be individually accounted for to be "a disciplined enough person to concentrate on fixing the mistake" every rehearsal after every correction.

This right hear basically sums up the thread. Anyone that honestly think that the winning corps are the ones who never lose their focus or never need a kick in the *** are seriously deluding themselves. Its not about who rehearses perfectly, its about who bounces back the quickest after those inevitable mental lapses.

the most motivating thing i ever experienced is when the corps got kicked off the field.

about ten minutes into ensemble -- on a show day -- the director pulled us into a group in the middle of the field and said "it is clear that you don't want to be here right now. lets stop wasting time and just cancel the rest of rehearsal."

we were ####### awesome that night.

Moral of the story: Never practice on show days :blush:

Moral of the story: Never practice on show days :tongue:

Real moral of the story

"the kids, not the staff, are in charge of the corps" :blush:

I never did a lap or pushup for messing up a rep. At cadets, that kind of punishment was reserved for when our focus wasnt in the right place, we werent rehearsing correctly...aka, we were being ***holes. If you practice somethin 10 times in a row, and someone goes on at the end of the rep, or misses the change again, i dont think doing it for an 11th or 12th time is the answer. Sometimes you have to resort to different teaching tactics. If I follow your logic tomorrow with my band students, I dont think we'll get much done. Dont get me wrong, I approve of the philosophy that 'teaching' is better than punishment, but as someone who has worked with both the best and worst ensembles in the world, IMO, you're being naive if you think that a little tough love has no place in music education.

:tongue:

..but I hated doing basics at a truck stop. :blush:

In the two years I marched Scouts, no instructor ever told any of us to take a lap or do pushups. That was something we did ourselves. It was part conditioning, part competition, and part respect. It never hurts to build yourself up a bit more, and members would compete to see who could do more in a rehearsal day. And when an error was made, it was our way of showing the rest of the line that we recognized our error. You could take the shups out completely and it wouldn't diminish the level of focus in rehearsals. They were something extra we just did simply because we could.

Agreed. Running and Push-ups shouldn't be done necessarily as punishment. Rather, they should be done as part of the conditioning process. My section took the liberty of doing a push up sectional after every rehearsal.

This right hear basically sums up the thread. Anyone that honestly think that the winning corps are the ones who never lose their focus or never need a kick in the *** are seriously deluding themselves. Its not about who rehearses perfectly, its about who bounces back the quickest after those inevitable mental lapses.

I never said the winning corps...I simply said that I dont see the point in doing pushups after making a tick as I think its a waste of time.

Punishment for mental lapses is another thing.

I also doing see it as "delusional" to believe that every member of a corps can be 100% focused. Athletes do it...so I would imagine that corps members do it better.

I never said the winning corps...I simply said that I dont see the point in doing pushups after making a tick as I think its a waste of time.

better.

I watched BD rehearse in '03 at Allentown, and after every rep of ensemble you'd see 5-10 people immediately hit the ground and do 5 (or 10, I can't remember) push-ups. In this incarnation, I think push-ups are an effective rehearsal tool because A. It doesn't interrupt/waste rehearsal time (they did the 'shups while the box was talking) and B. It's a great way for members to take accountability for their mistakes and acknowledge to the rest of the corps that they messed up while not requiring being called out.