Methods of Madness

Worst I've had to do is infinity roll for 3 miles. Infinity roll is just marching around and around the track playing a constant double-stroke roll at full extension, no breaks. This was also in early August at about 1pm on an asphalt track in Louisiana.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes professional athletes do pushups, yes professional athletes run laps, or suicides or sprints.

And yes all of those can be a form of discipline if they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. This is confirmed from a former NFL player and a former NBA player.

i don't get the need for extrinsic "personal accountability."

if you screw up, just get your head back in the game, and don't screw up again. there's no need to do pushups.

would a pro do pushups?

would a pro run a lap?

Yeah actually, they would. I'm not entirely sure how many professional team practices you've been too, but I know when I've gone to watch the Cowboys practice, that sort of thing happens all the time. Maybe not necessarily individuals, but if the linemen keep messing something up, Coach sends them to run somewhere. Wide Receivers end up having to run sprints because they dropped however many passes. This sort of thing happens all the time, whether on a professional, collegiate, or high school level, so I'm not quite sure why you would use the analogy, saying all a pro does is get his or her head back in the "game" during practice.

And to bring up another point, what is so wrong with getting stronger? I know from my own personal account doing as many push ups as I did early in the season in between reps helped me with holding my contra. I know many of us in the contra line would drop down and do push ups just to get stronger, nevermind any mistakes that may have been made during the last rep.

Well one thing, if they made a mistake and then did their push ups while someone on the box was talking about the mistakes and how to correct them, then it seems like the ones who made the mistakes and need to listen the most are doing pushups instead of paying attantion to what the instructor on the box is saying.

If you can't do push-ups and listen to what an instructor is telling you, drum corps is not the activity for you.

Maybe some of my corp mates can elaborate on the 1980 Drill Instructor Genius that came in for a short period and decided to teach us a new form of training called the Close your eye's, hold the rope, march up and down the field with your horns to disaster exercise.

I believe we called him Wally the Walrus

We went on to win the Marching award that year, not sure if it can be attributed to this nightmare.

Edited by Phantombari1

I assume you mean a Marine DI?

What was one of those doing intructing any type of horn manual? I could see bringing one in for marching fundamentals, or for smoking people into shape, but not for anything else, really.

This sort of thing happens all the time, whether on a professional, collegiate, or high school level, so I'm not quite sure why you would use the analogy, saying all a pro does is get his or her head back in the "game" during practice.

i'm not talking about pro athletes, i'm talking about pro musicians, or other professional performers. do broadway singers have to do pushups? do ballet dancers get sent on a lap?

And to bring up another point, what is so wrong with getting stronger? I know from my own personal account doing as many push ups as I did early in the season in between reps helped me with holding my contra. I know many of us in the contra line would drop down and do push ups just to get stronger, nevermind any mistakes that may have been made during the last rep.

there's nothing wrong with getting stronger, but doing pushups on tour provides little more than a placebo effect. you aren't eating nearly enough protein to build muscle, and the vast amounts of cardio performed during the day actually eats away existing muscle.

but -- whatever works for you works for you.

Yes professional athletes do pushups, yes professional athletes run laps, or suicides or sprints.

And yes all of those can be a form of discipline if they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. This is confirmed from a former NFL player and a former NBA player.

cool, but i was talking about professional artistic performers.

i'm not talking about pro athletes, i'm talking about pro musicians, or other professional performers. do broadway singers have to do pushups? do ballet dancers get sent on a lap?

So some activities do things one way and other activities do things another way .. What does one have to do with the other?

In kindergarten you might have to sit in the corner. In the business world you might have to take a seminar or something. In football you run laps. How does any example negate the propriety of something else in an unrelated activity?

So some activities do things one way and other activities do things another way .. What does one have to do with the other?

In kindergarten you might have to sit in the corner. In the business world you might have to take a seminar or something. In football you run laps. How does any example negate the propriety of something else in an unrelated activity?

Or you just get fired.