Best Instructor and Why?

Well it goes without saying that Van Mathews is a God. Literally.

i used to love standing in warm up arc while van built our sound.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gonna have to go with Markus Auralius Waymire on this one. The caption head of life!

Totally agree with this so far in my drum corps career. He was inspirational, and taught more than drum corps. I will never forget what he told us while working on the ballad section in 2006.

Mark Waymire: "If you wanna keep her, you gotta think like her....Good Luck"

I laugh at this everytime i read/think about it.

Wayne Downey ... 21 High Brass Titles ... Enough Said.

JD Shaw - I love how he instills passion in the music, and helps the members bring it to life through his arrangements and instruction.

Never been under his tutelage, but he was wonderful during auditions.

Also....does anyone else know Steve Vento?

:sad:

Walt Omecienski - He knows how to relate visual to people who have never even thought about visual beyond "left foot right foot"

Todd Ryan - very relaxed about the fact that he and as a result those that he teaches turn out amazing. Great guy to talk to, and he always answers questions when I have them (and I never even marched with him)

Ok, so I like visual people a lot. Visual is my gig, I love it!

Noting much to add. Walt was excellent at putting everything in terms that just about anyone could understand.

Ouooga there pretty much said it all, though :)

Agree.

What is the highest amount of titles in any category that any of the other people mentioned have?

Curious - how much is wayne involved in the actual teaching process these days??

This is more of a story than an opinion and I won't mention any names, but I'll throw it out there anyway. When I was younger I had an instructor who was one of the best snare drummers in the country at the time. Won all kinds of I&E's bla bla bla. For some reason he hated my guts. I don't know why because I never did anything to the guy - he just didn't like me. He would always chew me out in front of the line for not practicing hard enough and was always theatening to cut me, which really put me in a twist because I was working harder on my fundamentals than anyone. Eventually he tried to convince the guys in the line to come over to a rival corps that he was teaching (only one did). That I never forgave him for. We got a new instructor with a whole different approach and attitude, and the kids followed his lead. He probably wasn't a better drummer than "Mr. Superstar" but he was ten times the better instructor. Having knowlege and talent is one thing - teaching it to others is a different matter entirely.