Best Brass Staff of 2007

Best Brass Staff of 2007  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which div II/III corps had the "best" (see definition in post) brass staff of the 2007 season?

• Jersey Surf
    • Spartans
    • Teal Sound
    • Memphis Sound
    • Blue Devils B
    • Vanguard Cadets
    • Fever
    • Revolution
    • Raiders
    • Oregon Crusaders
    • Dutch Boy
    • Impulse
    • 7th Regiment
    • Capital Sound
    • Spokane Thunder
    • Citations
    • Colt Cadets
    • Velvet Knights
    • HYPE
    • Hawthorne Gold

Either from your experience watching corps practice or perform throughout the 2007 season, or from your own personal experience marching in the corps themselves, which corps from 2007 do you think had the best brass instructional staff? (Out of the top 20 corps in the Brass Performance Caption)

By best i do not mean which brass team scored the highest because we all know what the scores were. In fact I have the corps listed in the poll from top to bottom 1st-20th in brass through the whole season. Some of the corps did not make it to finals week. I also do not mean which div II/III corps had your FAVORITE brass line. a good way to tell is which brass section came the furthest through the whole season or which brass section pushed through the greatest odds while being extremely successful. those two things can only happen if they have the best of staff.... and kids with the right attitude but that is besides the point. if kids had the wrong attitude it was the staff's job to motivate them the right way anyway.

Feel free to explain your reasoning too. You can use specific names of brass staff and why if you wish, i know the poll just has corps names, i didn't feel like researching every caption head from 2007. Whatever you do, do not bash!

I will start....

Memphis Sound gets my vote. From what I hear, the caption head last year was THE MAN. I can't say I have met him but I do believe he did some great stuff with that hornline. The brassline's actions speak larger than anything i could say had i met the brass staff. Having a hornline under the 30 mark and achieving an 18.50 at finals was awesome for them. I've listened to some of their work during the winter before the season began and they came a pretty long way. The staff really managed to get them to maintain a nice balanced sound through the whole show. I can't say the corps had the hardest brass book but I can say they wowed a lot of fans. They probably wowed themselves too.

Honorable Mentions...

Teal Sound

Oregon Crusaders

Dutch Boy

ps: The Open Class forum has been very dead lately... hopefully this will liven it up a little. All the OC forum has had to offer the past several weeks was a lot of bickering and bashing.

Edited by baritone9172

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of great talent out there no doubt--but to name the #1 brass staff??? This is in no way in insult to the greatness of so many corps I saw in Pasadena (and besides I don't want Bob Jacobs getting mad at me! :-) ) but I'm going to have to lean towards the unbelievable hornline from Memphis. They were in a word--STUNNINGLY good. ESPECIALLY considering how professional they were the time they were late to the field. It showed the depth of their training that they were able to just get right into it, and not require 3 hours of warm up and fine tuning before a show...BIG thumbs up!

I'm going to have to go with Jersey Surf. Those guys are doing great work up there.

Same here. I am lucky to get to work with some of them in the off season. :smile:

Edited by BigDale

Well, I'm a little biased, I admit, but considering we had a total of three brass staffers (and for somewhere between 25 - 50% of tour only two at a time), and the fact that we were pretty awful when we started out, I'm going with Andre and the Mempho gang.

I'm glad we managed to make an impression on some folks with our little late entrance at Semis, but honestly, we were more scared that you guys would end up losing out on the best show we could give you because of it. We could have been disqualified and we could have gotten over it. We knew what we could and couldn't do by that time. I just remember Andre hammering into us, "People will forgive you for making mistakes; they won't forgive you for boring them." So a lot of us were more scared of not giving the audience a good show than the scores that day. Luckily I guess it worked out all around though :p

I am being biased when I vote for my own corps. However, I think that brassline was very enjoyable and innovative by bringing a new kind of music to the field. Prior to 2007, I had never really listened to many vocalist groups or thought that a corps would do a show based of that kind of music.

Edited by TealEuph7

I am being biased when I vote for my own corps. However, I think that brassline was very enjoyable and innovative by bringing a new kind of music to the field. Prior to 2007, I had never really listened to many vocalist groups or thought that a corps would do a show based of that kind of music.

Many corps have performed music from vocal groups. 99 Colts and 96 Crossmen are two that I can think of off hand...

Many corps have performed music from vocal groups. 99 Colts and 96 Crossmen are two that I can think of off hand...

Easy- Nick. Matt was proud of his accomplishments and doesn't have a million years in the activity like we do. Anyway, I voted for Teal (of course) but would have to give a very close second to Mempho. They did a lot with an extremely small brass line.

Easy- Nick. Matt was proud of his accomplishments and doesn't have a million years in the activity like we do. Anyway, I voted for Teal (of course) but would have to give a very close second to Mempho. They did a lot with an extremely small brass line.

I don't know about a million but I hope to teach after I age out for at least a year. I'm majoring in music education so that should help.