Best Brass Staff of 2007

Best Brass Staff of 2007  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which div II/III corps had the "best" (see definition in post) brass staff of the 2007 season?

• Jersey Surf
    • Spartans
    • Teal Sound
    • Memphis Sound
    • Blue Devils B
    • Vanguard Cadets
    • Fever
    • Revolution
    • Raiders
    • Oregon Crusaders
    • Dutch Boy
    • Impulse
    • 7th Regiment
    • Capital Sound
    • Spokane Thunder
    • Citations
    • Colt Cadets
    • Velvet Knights
    • HYPE
    • Hawthorne Gold

Easy- Nick. Matt was proud of his accomplishments and doesn't have a million years in the activity like we do. Anyway, I voted for Teal (of course) but would have to give a very close second to Mempho. They did a lot with an extremely small brass line.

I wasn't giving Matt a hard time, just letting him know. Speaking of old, when are you going to give me a call? I miss my Dennis.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chance to see a hear a lot of Open Class/D-II/III and voted for Capital Sound's staff...

Twice during the course of the season they were ranked #1 in-spite of having, I believe it was, 16 players. The still put out a nice sound, and at times projected better than some other lines that were larger.

Plus, I loved their music...their caption head is also their arranger, and his intertwining of the Can Can & 1812 Overture was really unique and clever.

I wasn't giving Matt a hard time, just letting him know. Speaking of old, when are you going to give me a call? I miss my Dennis.

Hey Nick,

It's cool man. I come to this site to discuss corps philosophy and happenings so thanks for clarifying that one topic about bringing the A capella genre to the field. I'll definitely look into that. I just think that the type of A' Capella we put on the field for 07 was distinct because it was from a Finnish group. You gotta admit that's not very common.

I'm going with Jersey Surf on this. I'm backing my boys that wake up a little later than us visual people. They're better than restaurant quality sweet iced tea.

I'll show my bias. I thought Spartans hornline this year progressed immensely. We had an average age of 15-16, more than a few first time players, G bugles on their last legs, and made a top 3 brass line with it. Larry is a phenomenal instructor, and really opened my eyes to a better brass mentality.

So, this poll pretty much says Surf's brass staff was the best in 2007. For those of you who voted for this team, what definitively sets them apart from everyone else? I know that a lot of this could turn to be opinion based but what actions and steps did this brass team take that were that much more effective and notable than every other brass staff in Open Class that year? I am not trying to stir up an argument. Surf is the clear winner here. They had a great brassline last year. I would just like to hear about their teaching styles and extra efforts that allowed them to get their kids to such a high level.

Also, do you think a different staff team may surpass what Surf's was able to accomplish last year? Are there any staff line ups that will prove to take a brassline to incredible heights for this coming season and how would they be able to do that? Hard question to answer in April I suppose but it should be some good conversation none-the-less.

Honestly, how can we vote in this?

We may have a good idea of what goes on in one, maybe two, corps, but no one has worked with every brass staff in open class.

All this poll is good for is padding egos.