SCV and BD

SCV

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first got involved with marching band and learned about DCI, I thought BD was the greatest thing ever (the first show I ever saw of them was 1999). The more and more I watch the two, I enjor SCV much more. I still like BD better 99 than Vanguard. I know, I may be alone.

SCV is my pick... apparently not a lot of love for BD.

SCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSC

VSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSC

VSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSCVSC

VSCVSCVSC

'Nuf said...

SCV, and its not even close.

BD had a long stretch in the late-90's and early 2000's where they were pretty much doing the same show every year. I would joke to friends that the show title the next season would be "Another #### Jazz Show: So Deal With It". :tongue:

Now, don't get me wrong, BD has put out some product that I've enjoyed GREATLY. But for the past decade, SCV has done more for me.

Your BD show title is pretty accurate. I used to use "Wayne Downey's Greatest Brass Hits" to describe some of those early 2000's shows. Not enough melodic line, too much flash vs substance. SCV is the opposite, IMO. More substance with just enough flash.

The last BD show I really liked was 1998. They were fun to watch in the 70's, had some of their greatest shows in the 80's. Lately it just seems too cold, too technical. Designed to win, but not necessarily to engage the audience. I admire their precision, but I miss the melody.

SCV seems to put more emphasis on musical development of the melodic line. The shows are more engaging from a musical POV, and also seems to have better balance in their brass. BD always has been top-heavy.

That being said, at least they have their own identity and aren't the same-old same-old. We sure don't need any more cookie cutter drum corps.

Garry in Vegas

BD by far. I like SCV, but I enjoy the BD style much more. There have been BD shows I didn't like (2000, 2005), but their performance was very good.

SCV....