Charging your electronics while on tour

I'm not sure if there is already a topic devoted to this, but reading the "theft" thread got me thinking -- how do 150 kids keep their phones and iPods, etc charged all summer?

When I marched, cell phones and pagers were banned from tour (extremely rare to have one back then, anyway) and walkmen and discmen were powered by standard AA batteries. Now that a lot of things require lithium/rechargeable configurations, do you all just plug in and share a power strip in any outlet you can find? Is there some kind of schedule (i.e. hornline Monday & Thurs, drums & guard Tues & Friday) or is it just a free-for all, stampede to get the spot on the floor near an outlet?

I'm really curious.

The only electricity issue we had was waiting to inflate your air mattress, which was a banned practice for a couple of the years I marched, too.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, lots of power strips. I found that bringing a power strip on tour scored a lot of points with members...great way to get to know people (when they need to use your power strip)

My cell phone never was charged very much... and I'm looking at bringing something battery-powered for bus music this summer. Too nervous about leaving my iPod to charge.

Just plug everything into the marimba!

Actually. I have been known to plug my cell phone into the sound rack when we're rehearsing. Also, often the pit will spend sectional rehearsal near an outside power supply if we need to do something with the system, so I'll plug into the outside of a school assuming it's nice weather. My cell phone is always in my rehearsal bag in a plastic baggie to keep it dry, unless I'm charging it on a nice day. Well, almost always. I had my phone stolen last summer because I was dumb enough to leave it plugged into what we were told was going to be locked a building. It was my own fault.

Make good friends with the Bus Driver and ask him how to connect the inverter to the bus electrical system.

We also used to plug our truck into various outlets at schools, so the pit could load the truck in the dark , and the long rangers could charge and what not. There were a few outlets on the truck for power tools to be used. We could also run the generator if it was needed.

Ask the tour mom to charge it for you in the staff room or on the Food Truck.