Vandalism hits Rochester Area

See you at THE CLASSIC. I'm assuming CRU will be pumped up and ready to blow off some steam...........

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's funny that this topic has come up here. Ralph and I have worked with the Catskill Community Center along with Don Gardner (who marches Cabs Alumni) and Rick (sorry, can't think of his last name - 20th Century), along with many other community people and collectively we HAVE started a good old Community Drum corps and every week we beat into them not only how to march and play but RESPECT. They are being told every week that one of the most important lessons we want them to get out of this experience is RESPECT not just for us but for each other, but I am very happy to say it is your good old fashioned community drum corps where kids with NO experience can come and we will build from there. We have about about 45 members. They're coming along and they will march in the community Memorial Day parade. The LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG term goal is competition, but for now, it's a place for them to go Monday and Wednesday nights and every other Saturday to learn DRUM CORPS AND RESPECT!!! GOT TO LOVE IT. Ralph and I brought two of them with us last night to watch DCI in the theatres and they were amazed.

Now, Sayre.......RIGHT ON. I completely agree with you. Honestly, I really only like my kids hanging out with their drum corps friends. I LOVE drum corps people. No matter what, 10 to 1 these kids are better behaved than your average kid, they're better rounded. They're more tolerant of everything, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. The kid that has no friends in school can come to drum corps and find at least 10 friends in drum corps. I do however agree that its not the same as it was back in the 70s and 80s. I would NEVER think to answer back an instructor or talk when one was talking, EVER. Man, I still call Mr. Martin, MR. MARTIN. I still get nervous if I miss basics or anything if Im having a meeting and I'M THE DIRECTOR!!!!! I get all nervous like I'm gonna get in trouble!!!! IM SCARED OF ME :tongue:

But, back to the topic on hand, I think it's awful what happened to Cru and we (Fusion) LOVE YOU GUYS. If theres ANYTHING we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. We don't really have any extra equipment, but if we're at a show together and you need to use some of ours, let me know and your good to go.

You know, it's funny that this topic has come up here. Ralph and I have worked with the Catskill Community Center along with Don Gardner (who marches Cabs Alumni) and Rick (sorry, can't think of his last name - 20th Century), along with many other community people and collectively we HAVE started a good old Community Drum corps and every week we beat into them not only how to march and play but RESPECT. They are being told every week that one of the most important lessons we want them to get out of this experience is RESPECT not just for us but for each other, but I am very happy to say it is your good old fashioned community drum corps where kids with NO experience can come and we will build from there. We have about about 45 members. They're coming along and they will march in the community Memorial Day parade. The LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG term goal is competition, but for now, it's a place for them to go Monday and Wednesday nights and every other Saturday to learn DRUM CORPS AND RESPECT!!! GOT TO LOVE IT. Ralph and I brought two of them with us last night to watch DCI in the theatres and they were amazed.

Now, Sayre.......RIGHT ON. I completely agree with you. Honestly, I really only like my kids hanging out with their drum corps friends. I LOVE drum corps people. No matter what, 10 to 1 these kids are better behaved than your average kid, they're better rounded. They're more tolerant of everything, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. The kid that has no friends in school can come to drum corps and find at least 10 friends in drum corps. I do however agree that its not the same as it was back in the 70s and 80s. I would NEVER think to answer back an instructor or talk when one was talking, EVER. Man, I still call Mr. Martin, MR. MARTIN. I still get nervous if I miss basics or anything if Im having a meeting and I'M THE DIRECTOR!!!!! I get all nervous like I'm gonna get in trouble!!!! IM SCARED OF ME :cool:

But, back to the topic on hand, I think it's awful what happened to Cru and we (Fusion) LOVE YOU GUYS. If theres ANYTHING we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. We don't really have any extra equipment, but if we're at a show together and you need to use some of ours, let me know and your good to go.

THANKS, Holly and Fusion Corps! :w00t::rock: Off to the repair shop to see how the progress is going and making sure we are ready to roll out in the morning! :devil:

We will be busy during rehearsing for the classic doing a complete inventory of the truck to start the property recovery process. :devil:

The outpouring from the DCP community and general public has been ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC and believe me when I say the corps is chomping at the bit to let it loose at the St. Joes Classic this weekend!! :devil:

I have been in the trenches getting things done with insurance appraisers and repair shops, on the body shop side and mechanical side. My spirits have been lifted in the last few days though with the number of people coming forward with help of every kind!! :w00t::tongue:

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! :blink: (Hope to have some video posted after the weekend! :rock: )

Now, Sayre.......RIGHT ON. I completely agree with you. Honestly, I really only like my kids hanging out with their drum corps friends. I LOVE drum corps people. No matter what, 10 to 1 these kids are better behaved than your average kid, they're better rounded. They're more tolerant of everything, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. The kid that has no friends in school can come to drum corps and find at least 10 friends in drum corps. I do however agree that its not the same as it was back in the 70s and 80s. I would NEVER think to answer back an instructor or talk when one was talking, EVER. Man, I still call Mr. Martin, MR. MARTIN. I still get nervous if I miss basics or anything if Im having a meeting and I'M THE DIRECTOR!!!!! I get all nervous like I'm gonna get in trouble!!!! IM SCARED OF ME :w00t:

I am playing a peice in Wind Ensemble called 'Fusion', very cool stuff youg guys should look into!

But anyways

Cru<3' Fusion

Man Cin, did you ever put your finger right on the pulse of the problems going on in drum corps! As well as the many other places too!

This was an activity designed to help disenfranchised youths from falling into activities that cause them difficulty later in life and now it is for the best show ponies of the brood! Seems like we have lost our ability to assist those who need it most! When I was in BD although there were a few (very few) imports in the corps... Most were kids from the Concord area from the wrong side of their town!

Flame away because this is the way it actually is!

I know... way way off topic...

I don't think it's fair to blame DCI for the downfall of society, nor is it fair to blame "urban" music. Although I agree with Cindy in her observation of how the junior corps were as opposed to how they are now, there is alot more in play here. Parents don't spend as much time with their children as they should. They don't have the time. Some of you may be old enough to remember this, (I'm not, I can only go by what I've read and been told.) Legend has it that once upon a time, families ate breakfast. Not only did they eat breakfast, but they all did it together! Then Dad used to go into the city and work from 9 to 5 while the kids were at school. Mom used to keep the house and take care of the groceries, cooking, cleaning and children. Kids came home from school, dad came home from work, and everyone shared diner. And talked to each other! Not grabbing Hot Pockets at separate times and munching the greaseball sandwiches in front of the TV. Now everyone skips breakfast and runs off to wherever they need to be. Both parents need to work just to provide for the families they rarely see. The kids get into trouble from time to time because the schools all cut their after-school programs to save a few bucks. Whenever they get home, they just heat up some frozen garbage in the microwave and watch TV. Mom & Dad have to work late tonight. They flip on the tube and watch some trash TV (ala the latest MTV programming) and vedge out for a while. After a while, they get bored and go destroy the equipment in some drum corps' trailer. Mom & Dad don't know where they are and are too tired to care after coming home from double shifts. We as a society work harder and harder at becoming lazier and more complacent. It disgusts me.

My point in all this ranting is this:

DCI is not to blame for your troubles. Period. We as a society have provided the foundation for everything going on in the world today. It is OUR FAULTS that kids behave the way they do. And it is OUR FAULTS that there are fewer drum corps in existence. Stop blaming DCI, DCA, WGI, the NBA, the NAACP, NWA and FEMA for the downfall of drum corps as we know it and the downfall of society. Anyone of us could stand up and make a difference in ALL these things. But we don't. Why? Because it's easier to sit and ##### and blame others for our problems. I see it every day where I work. Same thing goes for Hoppy. Every year people whine about how the man is destroying our activity. I don't agree with his actions either. But let's face it folks... you can cry bloody murder on DCP all you want. That ain't gonna stop him. Try action for a change, boys and girls. Put up or shut up. That's all I'm saying.

Jesus H. Christ, I need a ####### Prozac.

Guess I am wondering where we blamed DCI for the problems going on in all of society? Seems we are just complaining about our children having fewer outlets for good clean fun... When my kid and dugada's kid cannot make the A corps... Then... well... maybe they are really not good enough but we will never know when the corps holds postions open so people can come from japan to march!

Take that prozac... seems like a good idea! ####... :w00t:

I don't think it's fair to blame DCI for the downfall of society, nor is it fair to blame "urban" music. Although I agree with Cindy in her observation of how the junior corps were as opposed to how they are now, there is alot more in play here. Parents don't spend as much time with their children as they should. They don't have the time. Some of you may be old enough to remember this, (I'm not, I can only go by what I've read and been told.) Legend has it that once upon a time, families ate breakfast. Not only did they eat breakfast, but they all did it together! Then Dad used to go into the city and work from 9 to 5 while the kids were at school. Mom used to keep the house and take care of the groceries, cooking, cleaning and children. Kids came home from school, dad came home from work, and everyone shared diner. And talked to each other! Not grabbing Hot Pockets at separate times and munching the greaseball sandwiches in front of the TV. Now everyone skips breakfast and runs off to wherever they need to be. Both parents need to work just to provide for the families they rarely see. The kids get into trouble from time to time because the schools all cut their after-school programs to save a few bucks. Whenever they get home, they just heat up some frozen garbage in the microwave and watch TV. Mom & Dad have to work late tonight. They flip on the tube and watch some trash TV (ala the latest MTV programming) and vedge out for a while. After a while, they get bored and go destroy the equipment in some drum corps' trailer. Mom & Dad don't know where they are and are too tired to care after coming home from double shifts. We as a society work harder and harder at becoming lazier and more complacent. It disgusts me.

My point in all this ranting is this:

DCI is not to blame for your troubles. Period. We as a society have provided the foundation for everything going on in the world today. It is OUR FAULTS that kids behave the way they do. And it is OUR FAULTS that there are fewer drum corps in existence. Stop blaming DCI, DCA, WGI, the NBA, the NAACP, NWA and FEMA for the downfall of drum corps as we know it and the downfall of society. Anyone of us could stand up and make a difference in ALL these things. But we don't. Why? Because it's easier to sit and ##### and blame others for our problems. I see it every day where I work. Same thing goes for Hoppy. Every year people whine about how the man is destroying our activity. I don't agree with his actions either. But let's face it folks... you can cry bloody murder on DCP all you want. That ain't gonna stop him. Try action for a change, boys and girls. Put up or shut up. That's all I'm saying.

Jesus H. Christ, I need a ####### Prozac.

Gotta comment here. You can't pin the blame for this on women entering the workforce (or the decline of the two-parent family, for that matter.) My mom went back to work when I was 6 weeks old because she had to, and I didn't suffer one bit for it or get into any trouble because when my mom was home (and she was always home when I came home from school or the babysitters), she held me responsible for my actions. I, for one, don't want to go back to a time when men were men and women served them well. Other than that, I generally agree with you.

Getting back on topic, Cru, I hope they catch whoever did this to you guys and they're made to pay for what they've done.

Guess I am wondering where we blamed DCI for the problems going on in all of society? Seems we are just complaining about our children having fewer outlets for good clean fun... When my kid and dugada's kid cannot make the A corps... Then... well... maybe they are really not good enough but we will never know when the corps holds postions open so people can come from japan to march!

Take that prozac... seems like a good idea! ####... :w00t:

And there are other corps. And since drum corps are disappearing year after year, you could always try to start a new one for local kids. My point is that the comment about DCI simply being for the "show ponies" is kinda an unfair dig. DCI has evolved into something different what that was. Whether that be good or bad, it's been people just like us that led it down that path. My point is if you don't agree with what's going on, you can either whine and pass blame, or do something about it. If more people did something about it, our activity would look a lot different today.

Gotta comment here. You can't pin the blame for this on women entering the workforce (or the decline of the two-parent family, for that matter.) My mom went back to work when I was 6 weeks old because she had to, and I didn't suffer one bit for it or get into any trouble because when my mom was home (and she was always home when I came home from school or the babysitters), she held me responsible for my actions. I, for one, don't want to go back to a time when men were men and women served them well. Other than that, I generally agree with you.

Getting back on topic, Cru, I hope they catch whoever did this to you guys and they're made to pay for what they've done.

Don't misread that statement or read too much into it. I'm neither sexist, nor do I objec to women's rights or their place in the workforce. My point is that the way our "hurry up and wait" society has unfolded, a stay-at-home parent of either gender is virtually impossible due to modern economics. And due to excessive schedules and stress, families are usually anything but connected. But when it comes right down to it, I blame the change in society on us. Each and every one of us. We all want things easier, faster, cheaper. But we don't want to accept the consequence of those decision. We want lower priced consumer goods, but want to complain about how Walmart pays its workers. Or compain about jobs going overseas. Well.... how do you think they make THEIR millions? Parents need to raise their kids right. In my house, TV was a privilege; not a babysitter. We actually talked to each other during the day and did things in the evening. My parents knew my friends and their parents. All my neighbors watched out for each other. I don't want to go back to "a time when men were men and women served them well," but I'd give anything to go back to a time when marriage vows were sacred, family mattered, people respected each other, and this country looked out for its own interests and its own people first. But too many young people today don't even respect themselves, yet alone anyone else. And that's what leads to atrocities like this.