Crown Preview

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like someone bought them some tubas.

HAA HAA ..

Ok I never saw that before.. It is a little bit corny but they made me laugh. So I am going to the site now to donate money. I don't care if they even have enough now.. I am bored at work and the donkey just made me giggle.

I think I like crown even more now.. (photo finish last year and now that donkey HA HA )

i see crowns show going either way... its either going to be incredible and everyone will love it... or because the music is all very well known music to people in and out of the music world that if they screw up they will get reemed for it.... so lets hope they make it interesting.

As much as I love Crown and have enjoyed the past shows they have put out, I can't really say just from an audio clip with nothing but chord progressions that they are going to be "incredible", although I do hope they are. Besides, the trumpets need a little help with their breathing, but I'm sure that will be worked on. Also, I see a lot of people getting excited about the fact Crown is going to have 16 tubas, but does anyone other than myself feel that is a little too much? We'll see how it sounds on the field, but this'll be A LOT of bass. We'll see though.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I cant believe this is even an argument... if people want to hype crown...fine. If someone wants to say 'you know, its really not that great' - fine. Neither is exactly out of line, IMO

Oh, and about stagger breathing....why in the WORLD would you set stagger breathing before you get on the field. Yeah - thats a great idea...lets waste valuable rehearsal time by giving everyone a perfect stagger breathing system for standing in the arc, and then throw it all away and start from scratch when you're in completely new positions on the field.

ohh...if the recording in question was just a warmup or something, then ignore everything I said :w00t:

As much as I love Crown and have enjoyed the past shows they have put out, I can't really say just from an audio clip with Also, I see a lot of people getting excited about the fact Crown is going to have 16 tubas, but does anyone other than myself feel that is a little too much? We'll see how it sounds on the field, but this'll be A LOT of bass. We'll see though.

I'm one of the ones who's "pro-16." Maybe I'm now officially "old school," but I think bass presence has been compromised since the switch to Bb while the trumpets are cutting through the ensemble more than sops did. The tubas just sound muffled to me. Since they're going for the pyramid/bottom up sound, I think the additions to the low brass are warranted. Also keep in mind that they have increased the high brass as well.

The real issue is, do they sacrifice quality for quantity and how well will they blend into the ensemble.

*Note: Let me qualify before this discussion goes Bb vs. G...I happen to like the switch to Bb for the most part...except for low brass presence of course.

Ah, but now you're assuming that everyone should agree it's "great"....I have simply been defending the right of someone else to think (and post) that the clip was not great, that people should not get too worked up about it yet, but that they believe Crown can still be great as the summer goes on. To me, that is a perfectly reasonable opinion that was not posted in a condescending manner.

It's not condescension to disagree with those getting "worked up" in the least bit. It is condescending and dismissive to say that anyone getting excited has "inexperienced ears." How does he know? I don't think anyone was saying that it was a finals caliber recording. I think it's fair to get excited about the potential and not necessarily the current product itself. Answer me this though, why shouldn't people get worked up? Is it going to have some effect on Crown's season? Seriously, other than being annoying to some people, what harm is there in it? You're free to try and reign people in for no reason but why?

I have no dog in this fight. I'm not asking anyone to shut up if they don't like the clip. I heard the same defects as you guys when I listened to it (I think, at the very least, I know how stagger breathing and embelishment are applied in their program). I am excited about the possibilities and I'm not inexperienced...er in music that is...er, well, uh, in anything...yeah that's it. That's all I've got to say about that [/gump]

And then people wonder why corps don't do it..

I am just glad that Corps do it. I know that it is early but I am thankful that they let us here a little something. Will never put them down either.

To all the members of Crown that might be reading Keep up the good work. Everyone enjoyed your show. (ok most everyone I am sure there are some that might not) ..

And to the Crown Admins thanks for sharing the little snipet.

Agree, agree, I’ll take all the Crown previews I can get!!!!

:w00t:

I cant believe this is even an argument... if people want to hype crown...fine. If someone wants to say 'you know, its really not that great' - fine. Neither is exactly out of line, IMO

Oh, and about stagger breathing....why in the WORLD would you set stagger breathing before you get on the field. Yeah - thats a great idea...lets waste valuable rehearsal time by giving everyone a perfect stagger breathing system for standing in the arc, and then throw it all away and start from scratch when you're in completely new positions on the field.

ohh...if the recording in question was just a warmup or something, then ignore everything I said :tongue:

Well about stagger breathing, I, personally, am not talking about setting stagger breathing, but most people who have played in some sort of ensemble know that it is natural to breathe in some spots, like at the end of a measure. Therefore, those trained musicians should know that you shouldn't breathe in those spots. Then again, I guess I can't say that most musicians would know that. I know that's what I've been taught when I first learned to play an instrument. Anyways, it's just the preseason so I am sure all the kinks will be worked out once the season gets into full swing. :w00t:

Edited by 2000Cadet