DCA + DCI Collaboration

What do you think would happen if DCA and DCI got together to run as many junior / senior shows as was feasible in a given season? Would this help or hurt drum corps in general?

This would NOT be a merger of any sort... both groups would continue to do their own thing autonomously. This would merely be a marketing venture, enabling both corps to share the synergy of show promotion, ticket sales, etc.

actually, for years several promoters did this on their own here in the East, most notably Five Star Brass with the Hershey show. However, one lawsuit and bad publicity for Hershey later, that's over

actually, for years several promoters did this on their own here in the East, most notably Five Star Brass with the Hershey show. However, one lawsuit and bad publicity for Hershey later, that's over

Over altogether or over for 5-Star Brass?

That must be rather recent. What happened at Hershey? When I was marching that show was both DCI and DCA.

Edited by Blue and Gold

I doubt Five Star will get back into Hershey.

to save retyping, read these:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1071392

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1071393

It sort of happens today. DCI allows for DCA corps to perform at their events if they pass an evaluation. The problem is that DCI is slow to evaluate some corps, and doesn't actually evaluate others. Too many politics involved.

that about sums it up,................ :thumbs-up:

What do you think would happen if DCA and DCI got together to run as many junior / senior shows as was feasible in a given season? Would this help or hurt drum corps in general?

This would NOT be a merger of any sort... both groups would continue to do their own thing autonomously. This would merely be a marketing venture, enabling both corps to share the synergy of show promotion, ticket sales, etc.

I thought there were corps from both organizations at many midwest and far west DCI shows. I have seen Surf and Raiders at the Cabs Grand Prix in Clifton, but not a full-blown DCI show.

The old Dream Contest here in NJ used to have junior and senior shows, at least when I marched in it.

I'm not sure what impact it would have if they made a concerted effort nationwide to do such a thing. DCA corps, being weekend based, do not reach their peak until DCI champs time. How representative of their real quality would it be...and how strong a draw for future members, to have a DCA show in the same show as the Cadet, Caveis, Colts, Glassmen, etc...in late June, for example, or even early July?

Ah! This is a great thread for a shameless plug for the hottest DCA show in the South this year..........Music City Metal II. :thumbs-up:

Tickets for Music City Metal II: The Southern Drum Corps Showdown are now available for purchase online at CrownTickets.com. Join us on August 2nd, 2008, 7:00pm at Beech High School in Hendersonville, TN for an unforgettable evening of drum & bugle corps. Corps schedule to appear at MCM II are:

Velvet Knights (Pasadena, CA)

Oregon Crusaders (Portland, OR)

Revolution (San Antonio, TX)

Memphis Sound (Memphis, TN)

Shenandoah Sound (Sterling, VA)

Derby City Knights (Louisville, KY)

Gulf Coast Sound (Houston, TX)

Alliance (Atlanta, GA)

CorpsVets (Atlanta, GA)

Music City Legend (Nashville, TN)

Tickets are $7.00, $10.00 or $15.00. Group discounts available on orders of 20 or more tickets! For group discount, call CrownTICKETS at 888.547.6478.

I would call it "Meh". It's no big deal, beyond the ability to see a little of both sides of the "house" in one sitting. There are those who would not view the addition of the corps they don't usually see (whether jr or sr) as any thing special.

I look at the Nashville show lineup more for the $ value (10 corps for $15 max) than for the ability to see DCI corps in the same setting as DCA corps. It happens frequently enough that it just doesn't get me more fired up to see corps than normal.